Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Shipping rifles to myself

Looks like I'll be going back to Arizona sooner than expected. I won't be driving all of our stuff back this time but we will be going through storage and rearranging everything. While I'm there I'm hoping to be able to get my rifles and bring them home with me.

Seeing as I have 4 to bring back with me, bringing them on the plane is out of the question. What I need to know is, can I send them to myself at my house or would I have to go through an FFL to get my own guns here.

There won't be any transfer of ownership. I just want to get them from one state to another without the hassle and expense of bringing them on the airplane with me.

Anybody know the rules on this one?

(Columbia County)

Default Re: Shipping rifles to myself

Yes, you can ship to yourself without an FFL. I don't have a reference stating this, but a buddy of mine did just that on a hunting trip to avoid the hassle of airline travel with a firearm, as you intend to do. I'm not sure the shipping details though. i.e. if it needed to be signed for. I would assume it would.

OK, I decided to look around and I found your answer, and indeed, yes, you can ship to yourself without an FFL. You must ship in care of another person in the state that you intend to ship your rifle. Here is the link. I hope this helps.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9

(Centre County)

max384 gave you the scoop. No problems shipping to yourself in care of someone. Many people do it all the time when traveling long distances to go hunting.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

You moving to AZ, Warpt?
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene V. Debs View Post
    You moving to AZ, Warpt?
    Oh hell no. Lol. I grew up there. Moved to PA in 2002 when my mom got remarried. Ended up back in AZ in June '05 and moved BACK to PA last August.

In the whole process my guns got left in our storage unit in Arizona. My mom and I are going to be going out there to go through the unit and get rid of whatever we don't need so we can get a smaller, and cheaper, storage unit.

While I'm there, I'd like to get my 3 rifles and one shotgun to PA with me so I can get back into shooting.

I'll be flying back and I don't want to deal with my guns on the plane. I want to send them from Arizona to my house here.