Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: What?????

Default What?????

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news...owl_party.html

Man gets 9-23 months for killing at Super Bowl party

By MENSAH M. DEAN
    Philadelphia Daily News

deanm@phillynews.com 215-854-5949
    The Northeast Philadelphia man who accidentally shot to death the host of a Super Bowl party was sentenced yesterday to nine to 23 months in prison, with immediate eligibility for work-release.

The sentence, which will allow Ronald Parncutt, 50, to go to work but sleep in county jail, also requires him to pay $300 a month for five years to his victim's fiancee and 5-year-old daughter and serve three years' probation.

On June 29, Parncutt pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of involuntary manslaughter, possession of an instrument of crime and recklessly endangering another person in the death of his friend and neighbor Christopher Donaghy, 27.

The incarceration time, which the judge said could be replaced by house arrest after about seven months, is a much shorter period than the prosecutor had wanted.

Assistant District Attorney Beth McCaffery asked Common Pleas Judge Benjamin Lerner to impose a term of 18 to 36 months in prison followed by a lengthy probation period.

She argued that a sentence of house arrest, probation or work release would be "a slap on the wrist," especially given that the families of Parncutt and Donaghy live just two houses apart on Bleigh Avenue near Crispin Street.

"His reckless, grossly negligent and idiotic behavior led to Mr. Donaghy's death," McCaffery said before a courtroom packed with emotion-drenched family and friends of the victim and defendant.

His voice muffled by tears and grief, Parncutt profusely apologized to Donaghy's family. "I can't go to bed without seeing his face," he sobbed.

In sentencing Parncutt, a father and grandfather, Lerner said his job was to be "just and fair" rather than trying to satisfy both families.

He said Parncutt's clean record, his prompt decision to plead guilty without going to trial and that he had not set in motion the tragic chain of events factored into his decision.

Following the hearing, Parncutt's attorney, Brian McMonagle, said the sentence was fair. McCaffery said of Donaghy's family: "They would have preferred the sentence that I recommended, but they are not vindictive. They are satisfied."

The accident occurred Feb. 1 in the basement of the home that Donaghy shared with his fiancee, Michelle Surma.

Among the guests they invited over to watch the Super Bowl was Parncutt, with whom Donaghy regularly golfed and attended sporting events.

During the evening, Surma's brother, Christopher Surma, an off-duty Plymouth Township police officer, placed his personal Glock on the basement bar.

Parncutt picked it up. Michelle screamed "No!" Parncutt squeezed the trigger, thinking it was not real.

Donaghy was struck in the spinal cord and killed. His daughter Christina witnessed the shooting.

Christopher Surma, 29, is awaiting trial on a misdemeanor charge of recklessly endangering another person.

Yesterday, Michelle Surma, 27, told the judge how losing her fiance had changed her.

"I had never been afraid of anything - I'm a strong woman. Now, I'm afraid of everything, including dying and leaving our daughter without a parent."

Default Re: What?????

Sounds like Plymouth Township needs to work on their employee screening process.

Placing a loaded, chambered gun on a bar during a party? What, there wasn't a playground where he could have left it?

One moron places a gun on the bar, another one assumes that it's fake and bets the life of someone else on that assumption. Sounds like a dumbass convention,
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(York County)

Bullshit .
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(Luzerne County)

So basically he was given work release..

I once worked with a kid that went out got so drunk that he dosed off, crossed the yellow line. Hit another car. Killing the driver. Left the scene. Was found home sleeping covered in blood. Yet he does not remember any of it. He was also under age at the time.

He was given work release.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(York County)

Meh... he's just disadvantaged and misunderstood. Not really even his fault. Sounds pretty harsh, really.

Now, that evil gun! Well, that will certainly have to be destroyed, along with all the rest of them, eventually.

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Sounds like Plymouth Township needs to work on their employee screening process.

Placing a loaded, chambered gun on a bar during a party?
    What, there wasn't a playground where he could have left it?

One moron places a gun on the bar, another one assumes that it's fake and bets the life of someone else on that assumption. Sounds like a dumbass convention,
    Quoted for truth. Bold added by me.

(Montgomery County)

think this is about right! he thought it was a fake. he obviously knew nothing about firearms and my guess is he will he paying enough for the mstake of the gun owner his entire life within his own head.

(Westmoreland County)

The sentence, which will allow Ronald Parncutt, 50, to go to work but sleep in county jail, also requires him to pay $300 a month for five years to his victim's fiancee and 5-year-old daughter and serve three years' probation.
    He would have had to pay more than $300 per month, and not just for five years, if he had married, then divorced, this woman.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

(Montgomery County)

Any word on charges against the PO.

I'm thinking reckless endangerment.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Delaware County)

Very sad story no matter how much I reread it. Tragedy "defined" right here.

No winners in this. The LEO should have known better, I agree. It all starts there. He has some devils involvement in this!

My prayers for the victims family!!
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member