Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Question .40 S&W pistols OK for reloads ???

I recently sold some long guns that I haven't used for years and have decided I better get a .40 S&W and a pocket .380 before the Federal government passes more gun laws after the upcoming elections.
    I had about decided on a Glock for the .40 caliber,then I saw a couple posts referring to their oversize chambers not being compatible with reloads.
    I have about 4000 once-fired .40 S&W brass and do not want a gun that I can't feed reloads.
    Are there any other brand of .40's that I should avoid ?
    Right now,I'm looking at the S&W M&P with 4 magazines @ $400 + tax & transfer.
    I would prefer an all-steel hi-capacity DA/SA decocker over the polymer DA only,but they are pretty pricey.
    I considered the CZ but their customer service has a bad reputation.
    BTW - I've been reloading for 45 years and most of my guns have not seen a commercial round,so I'm not a newby to reloading.
    Not having much experience with semi-auto's,this old geezer would appreciate your recommendations.
    Thanks,
    Ron
    The older I get,the better I used to be !!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: .40 S&W pistols OK for reloads ???

If you use a good sizing die and set it up properly, you should not have a problem with any of the major brands of pistols or rifles, including Glock.

I know that Lee carbide dies and EGW dies will size Glock brass down small enough to use in tight match barrels. I've heard from some using Dillon dies that they work too.

Glock barrels do not fully support the case toward the rim, and coupled with the high pressure of .40S&W ammo, you might have a case failure after 5+ loadings of the same brass. I have heard from some Glockers that they've loaded the same brass 8 times and it's still not cracked. I usually lose my brass before it gets to that point.

Lone Wolf barrels for Glock run about $90, I think, if you want a little insurance.

ETA: There are lots of people using Glocks in competition, and many of them reload. It's not a big deal
    Last edited by Suburban; April 18th, 2008 at 12:11 AM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Allegheny County)

Ron..

If you don't mind swapping out the barrels for practice,I new a guy who shot thousands of reloads through his Glock 23 with a Jarvis aftermarket barrel..When he was done he installed the factory barrel..Or you could buy a Sig,Beretta,S&W and many others without the poligonal (sp?) rifling..

Rich

(Bucks County)

I've run nothing but reloads through my Glock 23, Glock 27 and S&W 4006 and never had a problem.

I'm loading Rainier plated FMJ bullets and I'm basically duplicating factory ballistics. My Dillon sizing die has no problem resizing the cases. I can't tell you how many times I've reloaded each lot of brass, but I know it's more than eight. I've haven't had a case bulge or crack yet.

As long as you take it easy and keep to factory velocity, you'll be fine regardless of what gun you choose.