Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ar 15?

(Crawford County)

Default ar 15?

ok, local store has a smith n wesson ar-15 (wth the deal of 5 free mags) and they want $899 for it, large rail towards the stock on top, and a small rail on top . no optics.

then they have the same rifle, only with the removable carry handle, and the gas block end sight for 999 (with the 5 free mags). is this a deal, and im thinking of going for the no optics rifle. then going with sights down the road, as we have scopes for the time being not being used. is this a deal, or hold onto my money and keep looking? it will be my first AR, and will be getting it tomorrow possibly. thanks!

(Crawford County)

Default Re: ar 15?

whoops! sorry about posting in pistols, could you please move this off to rifles?

I havn't checked pricing on the smitty AR but if I'd be buyin' an entry level I think I'd go with a flat top and install the sites I want later.

Quote Originally Posted by g4mbl3 View Post
    ok, local store has a smith n wesson ar-15 (wth the deal of 5 free mags) and they want $899 for it, large rail towards the stock on top, and a small rail on top . no optics.

then they have the same rifle, only with the removable carry handle, and the gas block end sight for 999 (with the 5 free mags). is this a deal, and im thinking of going for the no optics rifle. then going with sights down the road, as we have scopes for the time being not being used. is this a deal, or hold onto my money and keep looking? it will be my first AR, and will be getting it tomorrow possibly. thanks!
    I have many AR's & S & W AR-MP-15T as dependable as any that I have....Really..So yes get the $999 one because it most likely has the extra's Full metal rail's etc...
    Last edited by Ronnies111; November 27th, 2009 at 06:36 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Indiana County)

I assume you are talking about the M4 style optics ready and M4 style carry handle version with the CAR stock and the M4 standard plastic handguards.

If you are, then yes, they are both the exact same rifle except one has an overpriced carry handle and front sight that you will more than likely not use anyway.

Get the no carry handle one and use the $100 savings to put toward a set of back up sights, an optic sight or quad rail.

Seriously, that "carry" handle will probably never get used, and if later you decide that you have to have one, they can be had online for less than $50 and the A2 front sight can be had for about $30.

(Crawford County)

ive decided to wait a little longer to grab up a rifle, as i have just bought a couple new guns recently, and spending 1k on a gun that wont get used enough isnt justified yet to me. soooo i went out and bought a new 4 wheeler, but i appreciate the help., and yes flathead, it was those two versions. over time though i may plan on buying and piecing together a ar 15, but its just what time (and money) decide for me. thanks though!

btw ronnie, love the rifle!

(Jefferson County)

To install an optic at a height that you can actually use, you'll want to remove the carry handle anyhow. I'd get the one without the carry handle or front sight and then add whatever you want. A set of Magpul BUIS is around $100, and can be folded down if you want to use an optic (like most BUIS can).

How are you intending to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    To install an optic at a height that you can actually use, you'll want to remove the carry handle anyhow. I'd get the one without the carry handle or front sight and then add whatever you want. A set of Magpul BUIS is around $100, and can be folded down if you want to use an optic (like most BUIS can).

How are you intending to use it?
    did the one for the railed gas block come out already?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    Not sure. Some railed gas blocks are the same height as the top rail, though.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    Uhh, Magpul isn't making one. Gas Block + Plastic = Bad News
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast