Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Looking to Buy First Handgun

Hello folks,

I think it is time. I'm looking for a handgun for home defense and target shooting, I won't be carrying it around. I am new to handguns in general, I do like to do target practice with my airguns, but they are airguns...

I want it for home defense but also target shooting. I think a .40SW or .45ACP are good calibers. I'm not interested in flashy exotic guns, just an absolutely reliable piece. With that, I'm looking at the Glock 23. It seems very conservative looking and off course known for performance. I like the Glocks because it's cheap too. Another gun I'm looking into is the Colt 1911 WWI Reproduction. Please give me some advice and other suggestions.

I'm unsure of dealer logistics; do most dealers have a bunch of guns in stock, or do you just request a gun and they can get it for you? Also, with zero criminal record, how long untill I can get my hands on the gun?

Thanks!

Default Re: Looking to Buy First Handgun

[sorry!!!!!!!!!!]
    Last edited by Ronnies111; July 8th, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Washington County)

For a home defense only gun I would recommend a shotgun, but if you're dead set on a pistol, I would get a .357 revolver (because they don't jam, and you don't have issues with ejecting, or inserting magazines.) Smith and Wesson 686 is a nice one.

But that said 1911s are great guns. No experience with glocks, but everyone raves about them.

Welcome to the forum. I've only been on here about a week, but the wealth of information on here is astounding.

(Chester County)

I see people saying best home defense is a shot gun. I want a handgun because it is more portable.

Quote Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
    For a home defense only gun I would recommend a shotgun, but if you're dead set on a pistol, I would get a .357 revolver (because they don't jam, and you don't have issues with ejecting, or inserting magazines.) Smith and Wesson 686 is a nice one.

But that said 1911s are great guns. No experience with glocks, but everyone raves about them.

Welcome to the forum. I've only been on here about a week, but the wealth of information on here is astounding.
    They are not the prettist pistol but they go Bang when you want them to. Like I said before they are a simple, no nonsense firearm. Very dependable, very simple. Perfect for someone with a without a lot of range time (wife or you?) You would be hard pressed to try & cause a FTF? Yea they have them but not many compared to sales. You can never so wrong with a Glock. Yes I have some nice 1911's. But for less experienced shooters? Glock Yea I own 2 Glocks 22C & 27 Baby Glock. Only problem with a shotgun is sq. feet in your home & do you have enough room to maneuver without bumping walls & bringing the thugs attention to where you are. I prefer in the dark to lead them to me not the opposite.
    Last edited by Ronnies111; July 2nd, 2009 at 09:25 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Schuylkill County)

With out having much if any handgun experiance go for the Glock, the 1911 is a handgun you need to be a little more experianced with and it takes alot more dedication to be safe with it.
    that said if it were me i would buy the 1911.
    As for caliber go with the 45 the recoil is not so great that the wife cant handle it and it does make a bigger hole then the others. just my 0.02 cents but what ever you chose, practice practice and then training training, and when you think you are good some more training.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flak View Post
    Hello folks,

I think it is time. I'm looking for a handgun for home defense and target shooting, I won't be carrying it around. I am new to handguns in general, I do like to do target practice with my airguns, but they are airguns...

Also, with zero criminal record, how long untill I can get my hands on the gun?

Thanks!
    Get something with carry in mind, many people have said what you just posted and sooner or later end up with an LTCF and carry daily.

Walk into a store, tell the clerk what you want. Fill out paperwork. 3 min phonecall. Walk out of store with new pistol. That simple.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flak View Post
    I see people saying best home defense is a shot gun. I want a handgun because it is more portable.
    Shotguns don't require as much finesse and training to make a big noise and a big hole.

Handguns, however, require a dedication to knowledge and practice and safety in the extreme. If your choice is handgun of any sort, you must exert a significant amount of study to safe handling and practice enough to make every move correct. They are much more difficult to use with accuracy and precision.

As for "when", (of course, the law requires you to be age 21 to purchase) just go to a gunshop, any gunshop, ask to see what they have in 9mm, then 40, then 45. Ask the clerks what they think. Handle them, Go to ranges that rent guns and shoot a bunch of different makes and calibers. Try as many guns as you can find. There are members on this board who are more than willing to have a new shooter accompany them to the range and shoot a lot of their guns. These members also have been known to coach new shooters in the fine art. Unless money is no object at all, do not buy until you have considered the options well.

Read the other threads on "first gun..." "what to buy ", etc. Read the "stickys" on these boards about first gun, etc. There is a wealth of information contained therein.

I recommend FIRST, a .22 for beginnning, simply because the recoil, noise, and (especially) the COSTS are bearable and premits a lot of practice. Then, move up to a 38SPL or 9mm, agian, recoil, noise, and cost are less than other, more exotic, calibers and permit a lot more practice. In the meantime, try every gun you can get your hands on. Nothing wrong with a 9mm or 38 for personal protection if you practice well with it.

Welcome to the community.

Flash

(Monroe County)

I would not recommend a Glock or 1911 pistol for a first timer without experience handling handguns, for all the obvious reasons.

Being that the gun will do double duty , range and home protection , you do not need a tiny compact gun, get a subatantial gun that has a long sight radius and is tough enough to last many thousands of rounds at the range.

I would suggest the following Guns:

1) Berreta 92/96 @$400-550

2) SiG 226/229@ $600-$800

3) Ruger P95/98 @ $265-365

4) FN, FNP9-40 @$469

5) Ruger GP100 @400-$500

6) Smith & Wesson 686/ @650-$800

Do your research, but stay away from Glocks and 1911's untill you gain experience and has enough self discipline to handle a glock that is always cocked and has no manual safety and must always be carried in a holster when it is fully loaded. Mind you i am not against Glocks, i own many of them.

Nyman

(Chester County)

Hey thanks for your replies.I don't plan on owning a lot of guns, even though starting off with .22 is good idea. I think I'll jump to 9mm or 40sw. I'll save the .45ACP for later. I'll pass on revolvers, need fast reload.

Yes, for storing around in the home, an external safety is a good idea. Looking at the suggestions- haha seems so cliche getting a 92FS as first pistol. The sig 229 and FNP-40 both look really good, I'll try them out. I saw on CNN there is ammo shortage. Am I likely going to find 40SW if I walk into a gun store?

Walk into a store, tell the clerk what you want. Fill out paperwork. 3 min phonecall. Walk out of store with new pistol. That simple.
    It can't be that simple? I thought there was a wait period. Before I get sucked in by the dealer on my first visit- they usually charge higher or lower than MSRP?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast