Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default PETA knocks ‘donkey basketball’

PETA is at it again.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/PETA...1-29-2008.html

Erie, PA: PETA knocks ‘donkey basketball’ game
    Animal advocacy group was concerned about the well-being of the donkeys.

ERICA ERWIN Erie Times-News

Northwestern schools Superintendent Pat Kelley will ask the School Board to ban the use of animals in entertainment events amid criticism over a "donkey basketball" game.

Kelley said he received an e-mail from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals a few days before the game was scheduled to be played on Nov. 8 asking the district to cancel the event out of concern for the well-being of the donkeys.

The game, in which participants play basketball while riding on trained donkeys, went on as planned in the Northwestern High School gym and raised more than $2,000 for the school’s girls basketball team.

But Kelley said he told PETA that he would ask the board to consider banning all future entertainment events involving animals. Kelley said he has no personal objection to the game, which was well-attended, but said he felt obligated to respond to PETA.

"The donkeys were not harmed or mistreated in any way," Kelley said. "When you get notified by a national organization, you have to respond to it. You can’t just blow it off."

PETA applauded the move.

"We salute Superintendent Kelley and the entire Northwestern School District for taking a progressive and bold stance against the exploitation and abuse inherent in live-animal displays," PETA Director Debbie Leahy said in a written statement.

"Parents should be proud of their school system, whose students are receiving a valuable lesson in compassion along with the ’three Rs.’" Kelley stressed that the board has the final say on any policy change, and said he would bring up the issue at the district’s next policy committee meeting in December.

It would be up to the policy committee to forward it to the full board. Any resolution prohibiting animals at events would have to go through two readings by the board before being adopted as policy.

Northwestern School Board President Sam Ring said only that the board would "consider (any policy change) and evaluate its need."

Kelley said the president of the girls’ booster club told him that an Ohio-based company called Buckeye Donkey Ball Co. provided the donkeys for the event. A company of that name in Columbus, Ohio, did not return phone calls seeking comment.

The Northwestern district isn’t the only local district that has come under fire from PETA over donkey basketball.

Girard High School Principal Greg McClelland said he received form-letter e-mails from people all over the country at PETA’s request in protest over that school’s Nov. 11 game. That game also was a fundraiser for the school’s girls’ basketball team.

McClelland said he would discuss PETA’s concerns with the Girard School Board but has no plans to seek any change in district policy that would prevent future games.

"It’s dictated by the community," McClelland said, adding that he believes the school has been hosting the event for the past three decades. "If the community saw something terribly wrong with it, they would not support the event."
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: PETA knocks ‘donkey basketball’

Jeebus! Cant even ride an ass and play ball anymore without those idiots bitching.

(Erie County)

I truly despise PETA.
    "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles." - Unknown.

(York County)

That Superintendent is a pussy also, I would have just hung up the phone
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post
    That Superintendent is a pussy also, I would have just hung up the phone
    I'd have told PETA if they want my attention they'll have to send some naked painted models in cages to protest the event.
    "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles." - Unknown.

I believe the appropriate response would be "Your an animal lover, Kiss my Ass"

(Clarion County)

I have no response. I'm no ass !!

Speaking of Donkeys,

If the Indians had given the Pilgrims Donkeys , instead of turkeys,

We'd all be having a piece of leftover ass now, not turkey..

P people
    E eating
    T tasty
    A animals....

(Allegheny County)

"When you get notified by a national organization, you have to respond to it. You can’t just blow it off."
    Well, actually, you can!

"Parents should be proud of their school system, whose students are receiving a valuable lesson in compassion along with the ’three Rs.’"
    Gag. A. Maggot.

Maybe they could have donkey boxing. Then, everyone could get to see the world famous "Donkey Punch"...
    Jules