Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Would like to get first AR-15

Hi,

I want to buy my first AR-15. However, most places that I've seen with full rifles, uppers & lowers, or stripped lowers seem to be sold out.

I'm thinking about getting on the back order list and just waiting. I know I'll have to have an FFL dealer do the transfer (any suggestions in the State College/ Bellefonte area?)

With the different guides and videos on the net, I actually wouldn't mind assemblying the lower on my own.

Also...are there any restrictions with these rifles in Centre County and where could I find them.

Thanks!

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Would like to get first AR-15

East Coast Guns (Duncansville) had lots last week ......
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by C-C View Post
    Hi,

I want to buy my first AR-15. However, most places that I've seen with full rifles, uppers & lowers, or stripped lowers seem to be sold out.

I'm thinking about getting on the back order list and just waiting. I know I'll have to have an FFL dealer do the transfer (any suggestions in the State College/ Bellefonte area?)

With the different guides and videos on the net, I actually wouldn't mind assemblying the lower on my own.

Also...are there any restrictions with these rifles in Centre County and where could I find them.

Thanks!
    Contact xringshooter he is a member here,and is located in the state college area.I am sure he will be able to help you out.
    Steve

(Centre County)

C-C,
    AR's are getting very scarce since the election. Not because they aren't being made but everyone is expecting things to happen with the new regime and want to get them before they may get banned. Ordering one right now you'll get it in 4 to 6 months, that's how backlogged the manufacturers are. Same with lower receivers to build your own (although you may get a lower a bit quicker and upper parts aren't as hard to come by).

Best bet right now would be to check the classifieds here on the forum, the classifieds on AR15.com and M4Carbine.net and the local stores. You can also go online to the auction sites (Gunbroker.com, etc.). If you get one that has to be shipped, you can have it shipped to me and I can do the transfer for you. I charge $20 for the first gun and $10 for each gun after that (if transferred at the same time).

Drop me a PM if you want more info. Be advised that as of noon Sunday I will not be responding to any PM's/emails until Wednesday or Thursday evening as I'll be at camp (deer rifle season you know).

Also, in case you haven't read all the posts, a bunch of us PaFOA members are gathering at my house/shop on Dec 14, from noon til ??. You are more than welcome. The address is 307 Matilda Ave, Lemont. It is also address several places here on the forum. Any questions, just post or PM me.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; November 29th, 2008 at 09:11 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Just perused the classifieds on the forum. There seems to be several AR's for sale right now. Although they may be sold I didn't see anything that said they were. Check here and even go back a ways in time. Then PM the seller to see if it is sold and then go from there.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Thanks for your replies!

Although I would rather have new, I'll check out those sites and see what is available.

Thanks for the invite xringshooter, I may take you up on that.

Good luck deer hunters, I haven't hunted in 9 years but I think I will have to start back up as my son turns 12 and would like me to go with him.

C-C

(Allegheny County)

If you know what you want ( I am guessing a basic M4 style) Jack at Jack's Black Rifles probally has everything in stock you need except the stripped lower. He does this as a side job and doesnt have a web site, so sometimes getting a hold of him takes a bit.

You can get the stripped lower from Stubby if you contact him before Tuesday (I think they said the 2nd) to get in ont he group buy. Look in the group buy section. I am already on a wait list from Anvil Arms or else I would have picked one of these up.

Jack
    (412)974-6839
    JMICHALUK@HOTMAIL.COM

Good luck, now is not a great time to be doing this.

Anyone remember all the Black Friday deals from del-ton and RRA and Bushmaster last year...............? not seeing any of that now.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    If you know what you want ( I am guessing a basic M4 style) Jack at Jack's Black Rifles probally has everything in stock you need except the stripped lower. He does this as a side job and doesnt have a web site, so sometimes getting a hold of him takes a bit.

You can get the stripped lower from Stubby if you contact him before Tuesday (I think they said the 2nd) to get in ont he group buy. Look in the group buy section. I am already on a wait list from Anvil Arms or else I would have picked one of these up.

Jack
    (412)974-6839
    JMICHALUK@HOTMAIL.COM

Good luck, now is not a great time to be doing this.

Anyone remember all the Black Friday deals from del-ton and RRA and Bushmaster last year...............? not seeing any of that now.
    Yes. I remember.
    That's how I got my RRA kit for $576

And, no... not yet seeing any "great" Christmas deals this year.

C-C,
    They are still out there. But it's slim pickin's.
    You may have luck if you see a larger store offering a sale. Even if they are out of stock, you may be able to get a raincheck.

My local Dunham's will give rainchecks. On black Friday, there were 4 on the shelf that they said they traded from another location. You may have to get on the phone, and may need to pay a bit more now, but they are out there.

Locally, a place called Sportsman's Warehouse(Like Gander Mountain)has a S&W M&P15 flat top on sale for $789.99
    That may or may not be a good price, but considering the current climate, it seems that anything under $1,000 is a "decent" price.

Good luck in your search!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Centre County)

Thanks ShawnL and EmptyMag.

Yeah….now is definitely not a good time to be doing this but better to get something now incase there is a ban. I’m willing to pay the little extra because of the circumstances, even if it is just a stripped lower for the moment and then piece together the rest.

A RRA for $576 would sweet! Actually anything under a $1000 just to get started would be nice as I’m just getting into these for the first time. Looks like you can spend a lot more then that in optics and accessories!

Yes, looking for the basic M4 style but there is a Stag Arms Flat top Model 2T that I would get for $1125 if they had it in stock. I haven’t done enough research to know what people prefer for the reliability of stripped lowers, lower kits and upper kits.

Any thoughts on Del-ton kits (minus the stripped lower?)

Thanks for helping and I’ll keep looking.

C-C

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by C-C View Post
    Any thoughts on Del-ton kits (minus the stripped lower?)
    C-C
    I just put together a rifle from a Del-ton kit and an Anvil lower. I have $635 in it, including shipping, transfer fees, cheap green-dot & mount. I'm happy.
    Last edited by RandomTask; November 30th, 2008 at 09:14 PM.