Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Legal? Transporting a shotgun w/rounds in sidesaddle?

Hey guys,

Does anybody know if it is legal to transport a shotgun with rounds in the sidesaddle?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Legal? Transporting a shotgun w/rounds in sidesaddle?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Hey guys,

Does anybody know if it is legal to transport a shotgun with rounds in the sidesaddle?
    Yes. The definition of loaded says there cannot be any ammo in the chamber or magazine. Then with guns with detachable magazines, any loaded mags suitable for the guns that are present have to be in a separate container.

Loose ammo and ammo in boxes are not mentioned or regulated. ...Only the aspect of the gun having ammo in the chamber or magazine. Detachable mags then have the further requirement of needing to be in another container.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Yes. The definition of loaded says there cannot be any ammo in the chamber or magazine. Then with guns with detachable magazines, any loaded mags suitable for the guns that are present have to be in a separate container.

Loose ammo and ammo in boxes are not mentioned or regulated. ...Only the aspect of the gun having ammo in the chamber or magazine. Detachable mags then have the further requirement of needing to be in another container.
    Exactly...
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Pike County)

Not so fast, fellas. Transport it where? Across state lines, I'd say not ...

My short answer is a corollary to a thread GL posted a little while back - feel free to look for loopholes, but have the cash to litigate if you run into the wrong LEO on the wrong day. Or just stick the rounds in your console and the gun in your trunk and don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Hey guys,

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Not so fast, fellas. Transport it where? Across state lines, I'd say not ...

My short answer is a corollary to a thread GL posted a little while back - feel free to look for loopholes, but have the cash to litigate if you run into the wrong LEO on the wrong day. Or just stick the rounds in your console and the gun in your trunk and don't worry about it.
    ASSUMING he meant within PA and where it is legal to have such a gun, I believe that what KNIGHT posted is correct. It appeared to me that the question pertained to where the ammo was stored, not having the gun.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Pike County)

Yup, not disagreeing. If NOT within PA, you can't have the ammo with the gun whether loaded or not.

If within PA and with the gun stored in a manner where the distinction matters (which implies that it is visible) then I advise discretion being the better part of valor. But, I always advise discretion so YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    ASSUMING he meant within PA and where it is legal to have such a gun, I believe that what KNIGHT posted is correct. It appeared to me that the question pertained to where the ammo was stored, not having the gun.

(Northampton County)

Yup, not disagreeing. If NOT within PA, you can't have the ammo with the gun whether loaded or not.
    Let me get this straight. You are saying that in all 49 states other than PA you must have ammo separate from a gun to transport?

(Pike County)

IF you are a PA resident and you are travelling OUTSIDE of PA then Federal interstate transportation rules apply - separate containers and what have you. In that scenario, sidesaddle is a bad idea. Note the part where I say "across state lines" in my OP, which FWIW wasn't disagreeing (or being disagreeable) just pointing out that a blanket "it's ok" is incomplete.

That is what I am saying.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Let me get this straight. You are saying that in all 49 states other than PA you must have ammo separate from a gun to transport?
    Last edited by RobW; May 12th, 2011 at 08:42 PM.

(Chester County)

IF you are a PA resident and you are travelling OUTSIDE of PA then Federal interstate transportation rules apply - separate containers and what have you. In that scenario, sidesaddle is a bad idea. Note the part where I say "across state lines" in my OP, which FWIW wasn't disagreeing (or being disagreeable) just pointing out that a blanket "it's ok" is incomplete.

That is what I am saying.
    FOPA transport (18 USC 926A) does not require separate containers.

during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Also one could travel interstate w/o FOPA provided they abide by the local laws.

FOPA rules need only be adhered to IF you want to claim FOPA protection while traversing unfriendly states - they are prerequisites for garnering the protection but are not mandatory otherwise.
    IANAL

(Pike County)

Groovy. Thanks for clarifying, I had always assumed (and abided by) the separate container "provision".

In this summary here the separate container idea is "confirmed", and the NRA-ILA guidelines say the same thing. Just goes to show that reading the sources is always a good idea. Mea culpa.

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    FOPA transport (18 USC 926A) does not require separate containers.

Also one could travel interstate w/o FOPA provided they abide by the local laws.

FOPA rules need only be adhered to IF you want to claim FOPA protection while traversing unfriendly states - they are prerequisites for garnering the protection but are not mandatory otherwise.
    Last edited by RobW; May 12th, 2011 at 09:04 PM.