Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Revolver caliber choices

Most of my previous handgunning experience has been with semis, but I've recently found myself wanting a revolver as my next pistol. In the past couple of months I got a chance to try 2 different S&Ws, and really liked both of them. The first was, I believe, a model 17 in .22LR and the second was a large-framed model in .41 mag (sorry, I don't remember the model number) with a roughly 8" barrel. Both guns shot fantastic for me, but neither is really the caliber I'm looking for. I already have a .22 Ruger MkII and I don't need the stopping power or ammo expense of a .41 mag. In light of this, I considered and am still considering a 357 or 38, but there are already several in the family and I wouldn't mind mixing up the caliber choices. I know revolvers can be had in 'typically automatic' rounds such as the 45 and 9mm, but I'd prefer to stay with a revolver-only round. I'd also like to keep the recoil equal to or less than a 357. So, my question is Are there any revolver chamberings other than the 357/38, 327 mag, 22lr, 30 carbine, and 40+ caliber offerings?

Also, has anyone actually fired a 327 magnum? If so, how did it shoot and how was the recoil?

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Revolver caliber choices

.32 H&R Magnum
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Montgomery County)

10mm / .40 S&W can be had in the smith N frame, even in night guard flavor.

It is hard to beat a .357 chambered revolver. It can shoot anything from .38 wadcutters to hard cast hot magnum loads.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Monroe County)

A 357 give you the flexibility of using 38 specials. You can load them down to pussycat loads, or up to real screamers.

A 327 federal magnum is intriguing, but ammo is hard to find, there is no brass for reloaders, and I am not completely sure that it is gonna be around in 10 years.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Perry County)

Since you don't have a revolver, I would suggest you look at either a model 19 or a 66 (same gun in stainless) in 4". These are the gold standard in my opinion. They are relatively inexpensive and relatively plentiful. They are big enough to handle pretty hot .357 loads. They are small enough to conceal, at least in cooler weather. They are ideal for the car or home. Holsters etc, are about as plentiful as worthless congressmen, perhaps even more so.

As mentioned above this single revolver will do it all and most of it very well. From pipsqueak .38 loads a child can shoot comfortably to .357 magnums that will smack down a felon. The K frame Smith is the one to have if you're having only one. (Although I have 5).

(Butler County)

If recoil is your concern and you dont want to carry it, just go with a revolver with a longer heavier barrel. You'll get better accuracy, higher bullet velocity, and less felt recoil.
    I have a Dan Wesson 44mag with a 8in bbl, that hurts less than my buddy's S&W 38spl snubbie.

S&W 686 (586 if you like blued) 4 inch. .357 Mag. Great revolver. Personally my favorite revolver is my 681 (same as 686 but with a fixed sight). .38s are mild enough for plinking, and the .357 is a phenomenal load. I always recommend a .357 as an intro to revolvers.

(Allegheny County)

when my mom came to me for advice, she ended up with an sp101 in .357.

She can shoot 39 spl, 39 +p, and 357. The .357 is a little much for her so the 39 spl +p is perfect for defense rounds.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    when my mom came to me for advice, she ended up with an sp101 in .357.

She can shoot 39 spl, 39 +p, and 357. The .357 is a little much for her so the 39 spl +p is perfect for defense rounds.
    Reminds me of scene from Mr. Mom: The wife's boss discovers the wife standing over the body with the weapon, and asks, "Did you shoot him with the 38?" (meaning the caliber of the pistol she was holding), and she responds, "38, 39, whatever it takes".

USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Butler County)

I too vote for the .38/.357. Like everyone said loads go from min. to max. If you want to go bigger there are other options. .44 mag., 460 ruger, 500 S&W to name a few. I even seen a 45/70 revolver once. Definantly not a CC gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast