Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default Interesting OC experience in a crowded walmart today

I stopped into walmart for some provisions for tonight (steaks, chips, etc.) and was OCing. I ended up staying there for about a half hour getting more stuff than I had originally planned on. I went to checkout and it was a madhouse. About 90% of the registers were open and there was still people spilling out into the main aisle. I was in line for about 10 minutes when a middle-aged man in a tiedie came up to me and said:
    "I've been watching you. I see that a gun doesn't get you any better service than the rest of us."
    My reply: "Nope. Sure doesn't."
    Him: "Doesn't even seem worth it, huh. Have a nice New Years."

Now during the whole encounter he was smiling and said everything with a positive air in his voice (if that makes sense). He also practically yelled the entire conversation. Prior to him coming up to me, I blended in and no one really noticed me carrying (as usual). As soon as he said something about the gun, about two dozen sets of eyes rested on my hip. Needless to say, I felt a bit awkward. No one said anything else to me and all in all it wasn't a bad confrontation by any means. Just a bit strange... and awkward.

I'm still not sure if the guy was anti, pro, or in between. He was pleasant and didn't seem surprised that I was carrying. He also didn't ask if that was legal. He was smiling the whole time. But, his last remark: "doesn't even seem worth it" has me a bit confused. It may have been a bit misguided in his remark or it may have been an underhanded attack on carrying. The fact that he was wearing a tiedie shirt doesn't help much.
    Last edited by max384; January 1st, 2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: "it"

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Interesting OC experience in a crowded walmart today

Decidely ANTI.

He is one of those people that thinks we wear guns to be THUGS and intimidate people. "Hardly seems worth it," was his dig at you and him looking down on you from his high alter of pacifism.

Of course we all know you went in there OC'ing your gun to be able to bully your way to the front of the line.... pfft.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Northampton County)

Could've been a joke or a subtle (unintelligible) show of support. I often make bad jokes that people don't understand.

Wouldn't worry about a pleasant encounter with an inconsequential stranger. Still, good report.

BTW - isn't it cold there? You take your coat off I guess? Or you sporting drop holster

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Could've been a joke or a subtle (unintelligible) show of support. I often make bad jokes that people don't understand.

Wouldn't worry about a pleasant encounter with an inconsequential stranger. Still, good report.

BTW - isn't it cold there? You take your coat off I guess? Or you sporting drop holster
    It's about 35 degrees right now. I was coming back from the gym and had on a fleece. Trying to cover up an IWB serpa is just awkward-looking with the fleece I was wearing.

(Northampton County)

My fleece covers a little of my OWB Galco.

(Columbia County)

Whoops. I meant to say OWB serpa. If I'm wearing an IWB holster, it is for concealed carry only.

Well if you're wearing fleece, the sheep already know you got at least one of them! It sounds like a leftover hippie, or a hippie wannabe, but it also sounds like a poor attempt at a joke.

I was in Herman's (drive in ice cream and burger place) in Topton once, and after giving my order to the kid behind the window, I moved off to the side with Mrs. Plinker. The guy behind me came over to me laughing after he placed his order. Apparently the kid behind the counter said to the cook, "Better make their food good so you don't get shot". Lame, but innocuous. I'd imagine your encounter was probably the same. The people who really want to make trouble complain to the management or try to insinuate that you are a murderer of some sort.

This is pure speculation, but the old guy, since he was wearing a tie dye, probably attended many concerts in his time, and was most likely yelling since his hearing has been abused to the point where he could stand to listen to you shoot without earmuffs on.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    I stopped into walmart for some provisions for tonight (steaks, chips, etc.) and was OCing. I ended up staying there for about a half hour getting more stuff than I had originally planned on. I went to checkout and it was a madhouse. About 90% of the registers were open and there was still people spilling out into the main aisle. I was in line for about 10 minutes when a middle-aged man in a tiedie came up to me and said:
    "I've been watching you. I see that a gun doesn't get you any better service than the rest of us."
    My reply: "Nope. Sure doesn't."
    Him: "Doesn't even seem worth, huh. Have a nice New Years."

Now during the whole encounter he was smiling and said everything with a positive air in his voice (if that makes sense). He also practically yelled the entire conversation. Prior to him coming up to me, I blended in and no one really noticed me carrying (as usual). As soon as he said something about the gun, about two dozen sets of eyes rested on my hip. Needless to say, I felt a bit awkward. No one said anything else to me and all in all it wasn't a bad confrontation by any means. Just a bit strange... and awkward.

I'm still not sure if the guy was anti, pro, or in between. He was pleasant and didn't seem surprised that I was carrying. He also didn't ask if that was legal. He was smiling the whole time. But, his last remark: "doesn't even seem worth it" has me a bit confused. It may have been a bit misguided in his remark or it may have been an underhanded attack on carrying. The fact that he was wearing a tiedie shirt doesn't help much.
    He was just having some fun with you because he had his kelty9 iwb under his shirt,part of his disguise you know.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Lackawanna County)

this guy was taking a dig at you, in my opinion. he said it loud enough to get the attention of others; why would someone do that, unless it was to embarrass you? he assumed you meant to wear a gun in an attempt to intimidate people, and when it didn't, implied you'd failed in your objective.

and people wonder why i act like an asshole to most people i come across. i swear, you guys are the only people who don't piss me off on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    this guy was taking a dig at you, in my opinion. he said it loud enough to get the attention of others; why would someone do that, unless it was to embarrass you? he assumed you meant to wear a gun in an attempt to intimidate people, and when it didn't, implied you'd failed in your objective.

and people wonder why i act like an asshole to most people i come across. i swear, you guys are the only people who don't piss me off on a regular basis.
    Does this mean we should try harder?

Yeah, me thinks the guy was a anti-retardo as well
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast