Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default First AK build - Can anyone recommend some decent AK parts kits?

Like the title says, I'm considering an AK build and I'd like to find a decent kit. Here was one example -

J&G Sales - Hungarian AMD 65 parts kit without receiver, magazines or barrel

Anyone recommend another kit?

I don't mind stamped receiver kits, as long as the durability is there. I also plan to buy a pre-manufactured receiver for the gun. Reconstruction is another idea, as there's at least one welder in Oregon who does that.

Thoughts?
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

(Beaver County)

Default Re: First AK build - Can anyone recommend some decent AK parts kits?

I would try to find a kit with a barrel included... headspacing can be a bitch with AK's... IMHO.
    Please visit my Website for Exotic ammunition and 37mm goodies... http://gunshowgoods.com

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by kunsunoke View Post
    Like the title says, I'm considering an AK build and I'd like to find a decent kit. Here was one example -

J&G Sales - Hungarian AMD 65 parts kit without receiver, magazines or barrel

Anyone recommend another kit?

I don't mind stamped receiver kits, as long as the durability is there. I also plan to buy a pre-manufactured receiver for the gun. Reconstruction is another idea, as there's at least one welder in Oregon who does that.

Thoughts?
    So your planning on doing the build yourself? Just asking because that's what I get from the title then you seem to reference Matt (in Oregon) about doing a re-weld.

It really depends on what your trying to do.

If your building it yourself (I've never done this), it would be best to find a de-milled kit that includes the barrel. These are hard to find because of the barrel ban. Any newer parts kit will be barrel-less. There was a Romanian kit in the classified section that included the receiver. Might want to check that one out.

If your not afraid of headspacing or doing a little more work. The best deal going right now, are the barrel-less kits from Coles. These are egyptian de-milled kits (minus barrel, receiver, and trigger guards). Not sure how many that Coles has, but I know a lot of people that have been buying them like crazy. They also have the same deal but with Romanian sidefolders.

If your looking for a milled kit, Apex's yugo kits are your best bet. You might have to buy a new barrel because they were low on decent barrels a while ago. Not ever sure if they still have them or not, haven't looked for a milled kit in a while.

Right now, almost any kit is a good one, because there aren't many out there. It all depends on what your looking for.

The AMD kit sounds OK just watch for this ...
    AMD65 Parts kit, less receiver, barrel, and magazine. Includes metal folding stock set with either wood or synthetic pistol grips, trigger, bolt, bolt carrier and most (not all) other small internals.

Not a big deal but just know what your getting. I believe that the Romanian barrels that centerfire is selling for ~ $70 (including s/h and tax) will work on those kits. There is a guy on gunbroker selling new Romanian barrels for $100.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Honestly your best bet for nice kits right now is to find a virgin kit, I bought two on gunbrokers over the past 6 months ... the de-milled ones I have seen are just a nightmare, the barrels look like they have been underwater for years.

Go to gunbroker and search for the keyword "virgin', they aren't always on but if you watch you will find one and with that you KNOW everything is going to be up to your standards!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Honestly your best bet for nice kits right now is to find a virgin kit, I bought two on gunbrokers over the past 6 months ... the de-milled ones I have seen are just a nightmare, the barrels look like they have been underwater for years.

Go to gunbroker and search for the keyword "virgin', they aren't always on but if you watch you will find one and with that you KNOW everything is going to be up to your standards!
    DC ... I know that your a yugo fan but if you get the "best" of 3 levels for the egyptian .. they are in great condition. I wish that I could buy a few more. If they don't sell out in the near future, I might have to buy another one.

If he is doing the building himself, just remember that there is more work to do with a virgin kit. Now, if Rich is doing it ... then don't worry about it.
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    DC ... I know that your a yugo fan but if you get the "best" of 3 levels for the egyptian .. they are in great condition. I wish that I could buy a few more. If they don't sell out in the near future, I might have to buy another one.

If he is doing the building himself, just remember that there is more work to do with a virgin kit. Now, if Rich is doing it ... then don't worry about it.
    You know I SWEAR I saw Romanian virgin kits a while back but there's no way to find the link now.

And yes a virgin kit takes more work but when it's done you have a BRAND SPANKING NEW AK .... now that's a SCHAWING moment!

(Chester County)

Personally if I was looking for a kit to build on I would check out the classified section on www.theakforum.net They pop up all the time from reputable guys that will be honest about the condition. Its a shame I just sold a milled MAK-90 for 600 that would have been a perfect project and at the end you would have had an excellent rifle....

(Philadelphia County)

If you want just a basic AK, including the ADM-65, it's more likely to be cheaper to buy one than build one, unless you have the time, and especially tools to do the work. Since you mentioned Matt in Oregon, I'm guessing that this is not for academic purposes, i.e building for the sake of learning how to build an AK.

The only kit I would consider would be some sort of a milled kit, preferably something rare like a Russian de-milled kit. A good milled kit and the cost of build from Matt would cost you about $500+ less than what you'll have to shell out for a complete Russian AK (assuming a $700 kit + $400 build cost + $250 refinishing cost). Having a Russian AK definitely worth the build cost and headache...believe me, I can attest to that.

Al

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    If you want just a basic AK, including the ADM-65, it's more likely to be cheaper to buy one than build one, unless you have the time, and especially tools to do the work. Since you mentioned Matt in Oregon, I'm guessing that this is not for academic purposes, i.e building for the sake of learning how to build an AK.

The only kit I would consider would be some sort of a milled kit, preferably something rare like a Russian de-milled kit. A good milled kit and the cost of build from Matt would cost you about $500+ less than what you'll have to shell out for a complete Russian AK (assuming a $700 kit + $400 build cost + $250 refinishing cost). Having a Russian AK definitely worth the build cost and headache...believe me, I can attest to that.

Al

Speaking of which ... I saw that Matt just finished up a batch a week or so ago and should be finishing up the second half in about 2-3 weeks. I'm definitely getting a little excited.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Speaking of which ... I saw that Matt just finished up a batch a week or so ago and should be finishing up the second half in about 2-3 weeks. I'm definitely getting a little excited.
    Yeah, he's promised mine end of last week, but I'm hoping this week at the latest at worst. We shall see. Now I need to find someone who can do killer refinishing work.

Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast