Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Is this feasible?

Hi all. I was talking to my father today about the black bear that's been frequenting his property lately. My father does a lot of work outside, and since the bear started showing up, he's been nervous being outside. He asked me today what would be a good gun for defense, should the bear become aggressive. He said he wants a handgun, preferably a revolver, because it's hard to carry a rifle or shotgun and use a chainsaw at the same time. I don't know much about stopping power when it comes to bears, but I took a guess and said that he'd want at least a .40 or .45. He said he thought a .38 or .357 would do the job. I said I doubt it.

So, what calibers, if any, would be useful against a black bear if the situation presented itself?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Is this feasible?

Better start looking MILITARY grade for this guy....

The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Wayne County)

First off, a .357 is an adequate to take a bear. A friend of mine from Schuylkill Co. comes from a family in which bear hunting is their reason for being. They take several bear each year. The guys who drive all carry .357 revolvers w/ hollow points while the guys on stand all use rifles. The number of bears taken between them is pretty even.

It he's that concerned, get a can of GOOD bear spray. It'll disuade any overly curious bruins while avoiding being fined by PA Game Commission.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Adams County)

A well stocked pic-a-nic basket, loaded with anti-freeze soaked breadrolls.

As for the rifle, he could still take one with him and carry the pistol on his hip. I doubt the bear will *bamf* right next to him, odds are he'll see it coming. If the bear isn't afraid of the sound of a chainsaw, that is--which it most likely will be.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    First off, a .357 is an adequate to take a bear. A friend of mine from Schuylkill Co. comes from a family in which bear hunting is their reason for being. They take several bear each year. The guys who drive all carry .357 revolvers w/ hollow points while the guys on stand all use rifles. The number of bears taken between them is pretty even.

It he's that concerned, get a can of GOOD bear spray. It'll disuade any overly curious bruins while avoiding being fined by PA Game Commission.
    Hehe, he lives in Vermont, in a little place where there's nothing around for miles. If he shot a bear in self-defense, he would be completely in the clear. Discharging firearms is legal, and killing an animal in self-defense is legal.

So you're saying a .357 would be sufficient?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    Hehe, he lives in Vermont, in a little place where there's nothing around for miles. If he shot a bear in self-defense, he would be completely in the clear. Discharging firearms is legal, and killing an animal in self-defense is legal.

So you're saying a .357 would be sufficient?
    I would NOT want to be up against a black bear with a .357.
    There are other, MUCH better options.

For a bear gun:
    I would use a 10mm for semi-auto, or .44mag in revolver.

(Monroe County)

That's what I was afraid of... When I suggested a .45, he said that he'd shot one before and didn't like the recoil. .44 magnum would be a bit much. I guess it depends on how badly he wants to stay alive.

(Lawrence County)

There are some ported options with low recoil. A .45 ACP with a .460 Rowland kit would be nice.

Lycanlikesthe10mmaswellthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Jefferson County)

If the bear is very large, at all, he'll want to carry probably a .357 or .44 revolver with full metal jacketed ammunition. Hollow points have a tendency on larger bears to not cause fatal injuries, or at least not fatal enough. You want something that can break their brain case. Longish barrel is a must for the extra velocity and the steadier shots, IMO.

Something to keep in mind though, black bears are extremely skittish. Usually they will run off if you just get close enough. Back away slowly, don't turn and run. If it starts woofing, don't get scared, just keep backing up. If it is getting aggressive, your first shot will probably be best fired into the ground, at least that's what I've been told; after a few bear encounters, I've never needed to fire a shot as they have never done anything more than woof at me.

Now, grizzlies... just stay the hell away from those things.

(Philadelphia County)

Could the gentleman take a rifle and leave it in his car (assuming the car is near him), or just keep it near him at his work site? If no, I've heard .357 works just fine.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast