Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Bethlehem runs police through gun scenarios

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-...,7718264.story

Looks like fun when does the public get to try it out.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Bethlehem runs police through gun scenarios

To an extent I understand the need for LEOs to be able to make split-second judgments in pressure situations.

The problem I have with systems like this are that they train LEOs to ALWAYS be suspicious of EVERYONE. And that can put innocent, law-abiding citizens (especially those that lawfully carry a weapon) in jeopardy simply because of a LEOs perception.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    To an extent I understand the need for LEOs to be able to make split-second judgments in pressure situations.

The problem I have with systems like this are that they train LEOs to ALWAYS be suspicious of EVERYONE. And that can put innocent, law-abiding citizens (especially those that lawfully carry a weapon) in jeopardy simply because of a LEOs perception.
    I completely understand what you are saying my friend, but I also understand the need for many LEOs to be suspicious of everyone. Lets face facts, in this day and age where there are sooooooo many gang bangers, drug twits and others who are convinced that simply owning a firearm makes them superman, cops must be constantly on guard. Does this adversely affect their perception of law abiding citizens who are legally carrying, sometimes, but that is from street experience. If you or a personal friend of yours was under fire multiple times, you'd probably be suspicious too.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    I completely understand what you are saying my friend, but I also understand the need for many LEOs to be suspicious of everyone. Lets face facts, in this day and age where there are sooooooo many gang bangers, drug twits and others who are convinced that simply owning a firearm makes them superman, cops must be constantly on guard. Does this adversely affect their perception of law abiding citizens who are legally carrying, sometimes, but that is from street experience. If you or a personal friend of yours was under fire multiple times, you'd probably be suspicious too.
    I'm with ya Bill. I know this isn't a perfect world, I just wish there was some way to reconcile the two. I don't like the idea that as a lawful carrier of a weapon, I would be "guilty until proven innocent" buy a LEO if I were to be stopped or approached.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    I'm with ya Bill. I know this isn't a perfect world, I just wish there was some way to reconcile the two. I don't like the idea that as a lawful carrier of a weapon, I would be "guilty until proven innocent" buy a LEO if I were to be stopped or approached.
    You figure out some way to do that, and I'll use what few contacts I have to get the LEAA behind it. Seriously though, most of the LEOs that I know are every bit as sick of it as we are, but they do want to go home at the end of the day.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

In a way you have to balance this sort of, ‘shoot/no shoot’ training, off, with the OTHER TRAINING police receive in, ‘passive aggressive behavior’: i.e.; ‘You're not under arrest; I’m the only officer out here, right now; and, I'm just going to handcuff you for my own safety - AND yours, too!’ ‘Please relax and put your hands behind your back for me - OK.' 'We need to go to the jail, right now - all right!' 'In a few hours, you’ll be able to bail yourself out - OK.’

An occasional, ‘bad apple’ aside, I’ve long realized that a typical officer-on-patrol is way behind the curve when it comes to defending himself in a gunfight. Every police officer MUST wait to be attacked. Today, many police have the additional, ‘political restraint’ of knowing that everything they do is being videoed. You don’t have to watch too many video cams in order to recognize that being largely constrained by, 'the politics of the camera’ can very easily lead to an officer getting shot. (First!)

There’s, also, a big difference between drawing from a level III holster, and pulling from a felony carry. The other scenario I see night after night on TV, that never fails to disturb me, is two or three actors outside the vehicle milling around with a lone traffic officer. All the gunfight simulators in the world won’t make up for the inherent danger derived from multiple unknown actors being allowed to exit the vehicle at the same time. Neither will it compensate for the other guy being, clearly, allowed to draw first!

By the way: That’s a frigg’in lot of money for a gunfight simulator. Personally, I think something this expensive (and useful) should be approached on the level of, either, the county or the academy.