Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Building an AR

(Allegheny County)

Default Building an AR

That's it. I took the plunge and ordered the first bit of stuff to build an AR. The off the shelf stuff seems too standard and I can't find the stuff I want. So, we're building an AR. Dagny is more excited than I am I think. It's strange to have her nagging me to order stuff.

So, if you have any words of wisdom, I'm listening.
    Wish us luck.

Default Re: Building an AR

well that didn't take long! glad you're doing this before I am...now i can pick your brain for help when I build mine

(York County)

there are a couple of decent vids on building AR on youtube. it's not that hard to do. most difficult part is setting the detent spring and pin under the front axis pin on right front corner of receiver. clamp the receiver into a vise or down on a table when you do this, and set a cardboard box in front of the receiver so that if the spring and detent pin shoot out you don't loose them in the carpet.

(Allegheny County)

yeah, renegadephoenix ruined us. After putting rounds through his rifles I've got the itch. It's bad this time. Before, it was just something I talked about.

So, I have a few random parts coming and will probably order an upper and lower tomorrow. I'm doing it a piece at a time and not with an assembled upper. This should prove interesting...

And I agree that from the videos I've seen and walkthroughs on the web, this shouldn't be too bad. I just have to find all of the tools. The torque wrench is the one that's killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    yeah, renegadephoenix ruined us. A
    he has that tendency......

(Allegheny County)

what profile are you going with and what sort of shooting do you intend it for?

did you know we have CMP first Sunday of every month 9am on the rifle range at PMSC ? non-members can shoot, I think its $10 or $15 for non members.
    Its a good way to get familiar with your rifle and the basics of marksmanship, and its inexpensive and a round of CMP is only 50 rounds (+2 sighters) so it doesnt eat all that much ammo.

a few of us also get together just about every weekend to practice. If you want to join us drop me a PM.

if ya need some ideas here are my builds
    http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...-re-build.html

we had a rash of BRD late in 07 round these parts
    http://forum.pafoa.org/allegheny-27/...-ar-build.html
    http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/113...-ar-build.html

(Allegheny County)

1. if you get the lower prts kit before getting your lower, don't let it scare you!

2. take lots of pictures to remember your first build!

3. have fun with it and make it how you want it to be, like if you want to order a lower that is laser engraved with a picture or name or something.

4. BE PATIENT! don't force anything and always double check to see if that part actually goes there (like a couple of springs in the lower).

also, search this forum for other peoples first AR build, I have one out there...

(Philadelphia County)

You are going to love it. I could never bond with my S&W M&P15T like I did with my first build, even though it was for my wife. There is something about "I built it myself". I just finished my 2nd build, an AR pistol which I will test fire later today. I sold the S&W and is in the middle of building myself a replacement to the exact customization of my choice using SunDevil lower and upper.

If you REMOTELY think that you may do a 2nd build, do yourself a favor and buy 2 of each of the small parts that you can't customize (gas tube, gas block, charging handle, buffer, LPK, etc.) if you have the money. I had to circle back and got bit by shipping charges. If you think this will be your ONLY build, you are grossly underestimating the disease .

Al