Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: shotgun slugs

(Lancaster County)

Default shotgun slugs

im looking to get into making my own slugs... what would be a better cast to buy to do this... using the wads and power i use for shot and i wont to do a 8 point or 6 point crimp.

(Chester County)

Default Re: shotgun slugs

Greetings richy

Lee precisions makes a mold called a drive key slug for both 12ga(1 oz) and 20 ga (7/6 oz). They are intended to be loaded like a sabot load in a standard shot wad and star crimped. The mold comes with load data.

Lyman also makes a mold for slugs. Check Midway for prices and description/ photos.
    I have the Lee mold for 12 ga and it casts well. It is aluminium so it heats quickly but aluminium is relatively soft so care must be exercised. It shoots OK, I need to experiment with slightly lower powder amounts to see if I can get better accuracy.

Ivan

(Lancaster County)

i checked out both lee and lyman... i know the lee is aluminium and it wont last as long as steel... wht is the lyman made of... and how many slugs would i get out of the lee before i have to buy another

(Chester County)

richy The Lee mold that I have has cast about 50 slugs and shows little sign of wear. At one ounce per pour it uses up lead quicky.

The care I was talking about is, not beating the sprue cutoff lever too hard. The pins holding the handles on and the pivot screw for the sprue plate are fastened into aluminium and can strip out or loosen if handled roughly. My iron molds for pistol bullets are a bit more robust in these places.

I don't own a Lyman mold so I'm not sure of what it is made of, but most of the other mold makers Saeco, RCBS etc use a cast iron alloy.
    The Lee aluminium molds are not to be avoided just because they are aluminium. They work well and I own several Lee molds. I try not to be ham fisted when using them and they are holding up.

Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by richy2kool View Post
    i checked out both lee and lyman... i know the lee is aluminium and it wont last as long as steel... wht is the lyman made of... and how many slugs would i get out of the lee before i have to buy another
    The Lee 45/70 mold that we have has cast a little over 1500 slugs and is still totally useable. For the difference in cost you can probably afford to wear out a couple of Lees.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    The Lee 45/70 mold that we have has cast a little over 1500 slugs and is still totally useable. For the difference in cost you can probably afford to wear out a couple of Lees.
    I don't have any shotgun slug molds but I do have several for bullets and round balls.The ones I use the most are Lee single & double cavity in .358 (.38 Special/.357 Magnum) and .429 (.44 Magnum). I have no idea how many I've cast with any particular mold but the words "whole bunch" seem to be a good start. I honestly like the aluminum molds more than Iron or brass. They are holding up very well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Lee aluminum molds.

Hope this helps.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Cambria County)

I have cast well over 700 slugs with my lee 1oz mould and is still functional ( shabby looking ) but functional . Ideal / lyman are steel and last forever if handled properly ,but do you plan on casting 1000's of slugs ? A little tip , Lee 1oz slugs can be loaded in claybuster 7/8 oz wads and a 6 or 8 fold crimp .
    DAN

(Lancaster County)

thank you guys for the help... i went today and ordered the lee mold... i know its cheaper to make your own slugs then its to buy so hopefuly i can make 1000s... im also looking into the 45acp and others... i need to get a press i was looking at getting a lee turret press to do rifle and a progressive for hand gun but im not sure yet... they will also be a lee