Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Glock optional disconnector?

My G17, which come from factory with 5.5 lb Trigger Pull. Which is rather poopy if you ask me.
    I dropped off my G17 to my local gunshop to have it fitted with Glock's optional 4.5 lb. connector.

But now I'm having some doubt.

having smooth and lighter trigger pull is great for target shooting, and training under controled situation where noone is out to kill me, but I read somewhere that in situation where I have to defend myself, with adrenarine flowing and panic setting in, coupled with such lighter trigger pull, it may not be sucha good idea..

Is having such a lighter trigger pull on my carry gun a good idea?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Glock optional disconnector?

Plenty of 4lb carry guns out there.....particularly 1911's.

Personally, I'll use anything on my carry gun that helps me shoot better. Missing is not really an option in a gunfight and I'd rather have to defend my weapon modifications that to take a bullet due to a miss.

There is a lot of conjecture about this, but I highly doubt that if you used that weapon to defend yourself, anyone would ever notice the trigger work......or any other internal mods. And....it is a factory option.

Lycanyouneedagoodlawyereitherwaythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Delaware County)

If you are comfortable with gun as it is now, keep it that way. Take it to the range a few times to get used to it. After practicing with it as is, you still feel doubtful, have it changed back to the original trigger set up.

Only you can determine your confidence level on how the pistol is set up.

(Allegheny County)

All of my Glocks have the 3.5 Connector, including the one I CCW.

In a high stress, adrenaline overload situation, some research shows that trigger pull weight is unnoticeable. In recent shootings, especially the high volume gunfire ones, the NYPD is using Glock triggers that weigh out at about 12 pounds(NY Trigger Springs and +connectors).

Finger off he trigger until you decide to shoot is still the best precaution.

(Centre County)

I have dicided not to install 3.5lb disconnector at this time.
    I thought about it over and over, and dicided that since I'm now used to 5.5lb trigger, and as 1832 stated that under adrenaline overload situation, trigger weight would more then likely not be a concern, and also the avg. distance which gun fight occure(something like 7~8yrds), if I shoot 2" group or 4" group would not make any difference.

instead of spending money on trigger job, I put that money towrds Ruger MKII with 5.5" bull barrel. AND bought and installed Meprolight night sight on G17

(Oh great.. How am I going to explain this one to the better half.... )

Last edited by Mity2; May 31st, 2008 at 11:54 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Mity2,

I have installed a combination 3.5 disconnector and NY1 trigger on both my Glocks(23 and 32).

This was done on the advice of a pistol trainer I have taken a few classes with.

It will give an approximate 6 lb trigger pull with a more distinct trigger reset. I doubt very many people could distinguish the difference of trigger pull weight if they had to shoot their pistol in self defense.

As mentioned, legal issues would more than likely not be considered as the circumstances of any shooting would be more than any internal gun mods. ( a Lawyer I sometimes shoot with gave us this perspective although he is not your Lawyer). I am also not a Lawyer so take any board information with a grain of salt.

I had removed the 3.5 disconnectors a while back just to see what the difference would be at the range and had quite a few "surprise breaks". It would probably not be a problem if you train with your pistol in any final configuration you choose and become proficient with it in that setup.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post

instead of spending money on trigger job, I put that money towrds Ruger MKII with 5.5" bull barrel. AND bought and installed Meprolight night sight on G17

(Oh great.. How am I going to explain this one to the better half.... )

"Hey, honey, I bought you a gun so we can spend quality time together at the range!!!"

Be careful with this approach... you are liable to find yourself in my situation, fighting with your wife not about whether to buy, but what, and who gets to claim the gun. Of course, there are worse things in life LOL.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    "Hey, honey, I bought you a gun so we can spend quality time together at the range!!!"

Be careful with this approach... you are liable to find yourself in my situation, fighting with your wife not about whether to buy, but what, and who gets to claim the gun. Of course, there are worse things in life LOL.
    Oh i was forced to take care of that issue when I bought Walther P22 while back, and she claimed its now hers...

Smile Re: Glock optional disconnector?

My G-22,23 and 27 all have a 5.0# connector. In addition I have aftermarket trigger assemblies and overtravel stops on them. I wanted the secure knowlege that the 5.0# trigger gave me that it would be part of the total action and smooth out consdierably after use without being overly light. After several years of range use they are smooth as I could want. I read that one of the competition Glock users said his accuracy was actually better with the stiffer triagger becaue he was more consciously deliberate with it.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by aryfrosty View Post
    My G-22,23 and 27 all have a 5.0# connector. In addition I have aftermarket trigger assemblies and overtravel stops on them. I wanted the secure knowlege that the 5.0# trigger gave me that it would be part of the total action and smooth out consdierably after use without being overly light. After several years of range use they are smooth as I could want. I read that one of the competition Glock users said his accuracy was actually better with the stiffer triagger becaue he was more consciously deliberate with it.
    Be careful with adjustable overtravel stops in a defense gun. If that screw creeps, causing the pistol not to fire in a critical moment. . . that would be BAD.

I've seen revolver triggers with lumps of steel welded to the back, I would not object to that. The Ghost connectors with the tab that you file to adjust overtravel are probably pretty safe too. I would not want set-screw overtravel stops on any of my defense guns though.

I polish the snot out of the trigger bars and 5 pound connectors. After a few thousand pulls the trigger will break at less than 5 pounds on some Glocks.
    Last edited by Suburban; June 1st, 2008 at 11:17 PM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast