Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Taurus PT1911...what do you guys think?

Hi everyone,

I have been wanting to get into 1911's for quite some time, but haven't quite found the right deal yet. I've heard and read a lot of good things about the PT1911, but haven't seen anything recently. I searched and found a few guys on here own them but they haven't posted anything latey. Do you guys still have positive feelings about your PT1911's or should I keep saving for something a little more "high end"? Anything anyone wants to add would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Logan

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Taurus PT1911...what do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Log9mm View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have been wanting to get into 1911's for quite some time, but haven't quite found the right deal yet. I've heard and read a lot of good things about the PT1911, but haven't seen anything recently. I searched and found a few guys on here own them but they haven't posted anything latey. Do you guys still have positive feelings about your PT1911's or should I keep saving for something a little more "high end"? Anything anyone wants to add would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Logan
    I am a horribly addicted 1911 guy and the PT1911 is my current favorite amongst the budget 1911s. Its recent $70 price hike notwithstanding, I still think it's a darn good bargain. I have shot four of them and they've run quite well. No burps. No hiccups.

"High-End" really begins at around $1500. IMHO, the best bang for the buck in a 1911 is still Les Baer Custom. I don't want to go off into a Les Baer digression, but they are extraordinary pistols.

The best things about the Taurus are that they seem (at least in my limited experience) to go bang every time. The owners of these four, report no problems with them.

The questionable side is, Taurus has had some very valid questions raised over the years regarding metal quality. The PT1911 being so new, the jury wont return with a verdict on this issue for a long time.

Bottom line, if I were in the market niche of the Springfield Loaded and below, I would take a HARD look at the PT1911. For about 550 bucks, you can afford a LOT of custom work, by a very good pistolsmith, to YOUR spec.

If you want ultra-crisp trigger break, tool steel parts, thousandths-inch fit and 100,000rds reliability and 2"@50yd accuracy the whole time, keep saving and buy a Baer.

If you want a 1911 to beat up, 3" groups at 15yds ok, don't care if it gets placed into evidence for a year following a SD shooting, and have some room to throw some money at, the PT1911 is currently in a class of its own.

Personally, I would not buy anything below the PT1911. I would be hard-pressed to buy anything above it until about the $1200 mark. I like it.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

(Schuylkill County)

i have three of them and love them the first one i bought has of 30,000 rounds through it and still going no hiccups none.... i'm a big die hard 1911 guy and i usually wont own one of the cheaper ones and i hate kimber so i bought one with a yeah this is a waste of money,, boy was i wrong now it wont replace my Wilson CQB as a carry gun but its getting there... it shoots everything i can feed it it is accurate. and handles well.... like i said i now own three of them and am waiting for the stainless version to come out as well as the 3 1/2"..... but they wont be out till they can catch up with the orders they have now for the full size offering. if you can find one buy it..... you wont regret it.... i own Les Baers and STI's and have a couple Sweson 1911's and for the money they are hands down one of the best offerings going...... now if you want a superb 1911 look no further then the Wilson they out perform anyhting else and are about perfect 1911's with the Les Baer a close second. but you have to consider $550.00 to the $1500-$2,000 of the others.
    Last edited by 1911shooter; April 8th, 2007 at 06:21 PM.

(Cambria County)

All of the PT1911's I know of people owning are still working just fine. If that's your budget and you can't go higher, then pull the trigger and get one. I don't own one, I have 3 Springfield's, one with a good bit of custom work and I love them, but if I were looking for a 1911 on a budget, I'd seriously consider the Taurus. The SA Loaded and S&W 1911's are also very nice for only a little more, but if you're just looking at getting a nice gun for a reasonable price, the Taurus is hard to beat.

I agree with Average Baer on the Les Baers, though I think the Springfield Pro is everything a 1911 should be, the Baers are damn fine weapons for the money. A full custom from SA or Rogers Precision (or whoever your favorite smith is) is a work of art, but I probably wouldn't carry one of those...too much money for a tool that gets banged up a lot and might become evidence (and thus handled very poorly) if you do get in a Self Defense shooting.

(Berks County)

I bought one as soon as the came in stock at Cabela's, paid $489 plus tax. It was my first 1911 and it was my new favorite toy. Then a MAJOR hiccup. The Taurus Safety in the hammer locked up one day, all by itself. And I couldn't unlock the damn thing. Scary thing was, I was carrying it that day, what if something happened where I needed to use it? I was pretty much concealing an expensive brick. It had to be sent back to Taurus, was gone for a month, and got it back good as new. Problem is, now I don't trust it. My room-mate offered to buy it off me, I am going to do that as soon as he comes up with the money. I can't trust a Taurus now, even though I know a ton of people that own them and never had a problem. It's a psychological thing ya know? Hard to shake that from my mind. Now I carry a Sig 220 when it is cool enough for a coat. And a Springfield XDSC when it is warm.

I really do think they are great 1911's, I just had a bad experience. A buddy of mine got one same day I did, his is flawless so far. They feel great and shoot great.

(Lawrence County)

Don't forget the STI Trojan. Also in the ballpark for good stuff for cheap.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

One of my gun guys has two of them. So far he is still in love.

I must say it is a nice chunk of steel!
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Bucks County)

I think this site has been here long enough to say:

SEARCH THE SITE

Been talked about a lot. I have one and love it!

(Luzerne County)

I don't own one ( I have Springfields, Colts and IA) but everyone I know that has one raves about it. I love 1911s...just about any 1911.

Gun Tests tested one and said it jammed and was not very accurate. They gave it a "don't buy" or something like that.

PS. I think "Gun Tests" is a worthless rag and I will not be renewing.

Handle one for yourself and draw your conclusion from there.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Montgomery County)

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Still tough to find someone saying something negative about the pt1911, so I guess that makes my decision pretty easy.

Phillyd2,

READ THE ORIGINAL POST ....Not only did I search before posting, but I even mentioned it in my post.

Again thanks to everyone who replied!

-Logan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast