Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default transfer question for "Legal eagles"

Hi,
    Is there is a legal way to complete the transfer of a gifted gun through an FFL, across a state line, without the willing participation of the gifter, and without the possibility of some sort of blowback on him.

The "gifter" is (way) to the right of the tea Party) and i put the possibility of getting him to an FFL to complete the transfer legally at about 0%, or less.

I suspect I will have to just refuse any gifts, but I want to operate on certainties and not suspicions. And YES, I am aware that transferring such guns across state lines without a legal transfer is a crime.

I appreciate any insight.

ADDED LATER:
    Many thanks to all who provided me with the benefit of their experience. I now have my answer.
    TParrish
    Last edited by TParrish; October 14th, 2013 at 06:12 AM. Reason: I now have my answer.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: transfer question for "Legal eagles"

I believe it would be hypothetically possible if the "gifter" were deceased, and the "gift" were part of the estate disposition.

I know PA statute places the legal burden on the transferror (the gifter), but with you being very clear on the law, and willingly participating, there may be some liability for you as well, as part of a "conspiracy".

I'm unclear on how federal law factors into your proposed scenario, though even if it mirrors PA law, I would expect the potential "conspirator" angle to still be in play.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I believe it would be hypothetically possible if the "gifter" were deceased, and the "gift" were part of the estate disposition.

I know PA statute places the legal burden on the transferror (the gifter), but with you being very clear on the law, and willingly participating, there may be some liability for you as well, as part of a "conspiracy".

I'm unclear on how federal law factors into your proposed scenario, though even if it mirrors PA law, I would expect the potential "conspirator" angle to still be in play.
    Well, as you can probably tell from my question, I am not interested in trying to avoid or skirt the law. Thanks for the input.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Then I believe that you need the executor to do the transfer.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by TParrish View Post
    Hi,
    Is there is a legal way to complete the transfer of a gifted gun through an FFL, across a state line, without the willing participation of the gifter, and without the possibility of some sort of blowback on him.

The "gifter" is (way) to the right of the tea Party) and i put the possibility of getting him to an FFL to complete the transfer legally at about 0%, or less.

I suspect I will have to just refuse any gifts, but I want to operate on certainties and not suspicions. And YES, I am aware that transferring such guns across state lines without a legal transfer is a crime.

I presume your question is concerning non-involvement of the donee (gift recipient) as opposed to the donor ('gifter' [sic]). I assume that the donee is neither an LEO or FFL himself.

As has been pointed out, short of the donor's death and transfer through an estate distribution, there is no way to complete a legal interstate transfer without the involvement of an FFL. The FFL's subsequent transfer does require the donee's direct involvement/cooperation to complete, at a minimum, an ATF 4473 and provide satisfactory ID.
    IANAL

(Bucks County)

Red face Re: transfer question for "Legal eagles"

Hi,

????????? If that ^ is intelligible to others, I am feeling REALLY stupid.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by TParrish View Post
    Hi,

The gift giver doesn't actually need to go to the FFL, he can ship the firearm to the FFL (assuming you know one that accepts shipments from non-FFL holders) and then when it arrives, the recipient of the gift shows up to do the legal transfer. Even if he does go to the FFL to deliver the firearm, I don't believe there's any real involvement from him needed. He simply gives the gun to the FFL saying it's a gift to the recipient, recipient fills out the needed paperwork and pays the FFL.

I've never sold a firearm, so someone correct me if I'm missing something here, but I think paperwork for a private transfer only involves the buyer.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    The gift giver doesn't actually need to go to the FFL, he can ship the firearm to the FFL (assuming you know one that accepts shipments from non-FFL holders) and then when it arrives, the recipient of the gift shows up to do the legal transfer. Even if he does go to the FFL to deliver the firearm, I don't believe there's any real involvement from him needed. He simply gives the gun to the FFL saying it's a gift to the recipient, recipient fills out the needed paperwork and pays the FFL.

I've never sold a firearm, so someone correct me if I'm missing something here, but I think paperwork for a private transfer only involves the buyer.
    The receiving FFL must have the gun owner's personal info so that he can properly log the gun into his boundbook. ....that there, is probably the issue with the far-rightwing gifting owner.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    ????????? If that ^ is intelligible to others, I am feeling REALLY stupid.
    I realize it is vague and odd, I was trying to ask a specific question without telling a long, rambling tale.

Here's another way of saying it.

A guy in MD is making noises about giving me some guns, and I live in PA.
    Maryland-Guy hates the government, and most likely will not fill out forms for a FFL.
    I really wanted to know if there was a way I could take them to an FFL and make receiving them legal. I doubted that it was possible, and wanted to verify my suspicions. That's the best I can do to explain it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The receiving FFL must have the gun owner's personal info so that he can properly log the gun into his boundbook. ....that there, is probably the issue with the far-rightwing gifting owner.
    Is a signature necessary? I can probably get the info on the sly from his wife. I WANT to take them (if given) to an FFL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast