Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Day off?

(Delaware County)

Default Day off?

Is anyone elses K-12 school districts closed today? I live in the Marple Newtown School district and they are closed for election day. I don't ever remember that occurring in the past. My cynical side says it's the teachers union that want their people working the polls. My polling location is a church, and I'm not sure why they would need to close the schools to give the election folks a place to vote.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Default Re: Day off?

It is also "Professional Development Day" for Philadelphia school systems.
    I guess that is the day you go vote for people who will raise our taxes to pay them more money.

Get out and vote yourself.

(Allegheny County)

Parent teacher conferences for our elementary schools. My 3rd grader is off today, not sure about others in my area though....

(Allegheny County)

One of my Employees daughter is off at the Keystone Oaks School district.
    It is located in the South Hills of Pittsburgh.

The Catholic School where my polls are was in session this morning when I voted.

(Allegheny County)

I work for the philadelphia school district. schools are closed for Professional Development Day for teachers etc.

plus this SEPTA strike aint helpin nothin.

(Bucks County)

Most schools in Bucks County are off today because it is a General Election. For the General Elections they are off (teacher in service day, like they need one), and for the Primary Elections they have school.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Chester County)

Coatesville has an in service day for teachers, no school for kids.

theo said
    Most schools in Bucks County are off today because it is a General Election. For the General Elections they are off (teacher in service day, like they need one), and for the Primary Elections they have school.
    My wife is a teacher and works her ass off, probably about 9hrs a day at school and 2 hours a day at home, so yes, she could use the in service day.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBrody View Post
    My wife is a teacher and works her ass off, probably about 9hrs a day at school and 2 hours a day at home, so yes, she could use the in service day.
    LOL, give me a break. Just like most people work more than 8 hours. She has 3 months off service days.

They should base their salary on 9 months work. Give the rest of the money to police and firefighters. People who are underpaid and their life is on the line everday.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBrody View Post

Sound like she has it pretty easy compared to many... Public or private?

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post
    LOL, give me a break. Just like most people work more than 8 hours. She has 3 months off service days.

They should base their salary on 9 months work. Give the rest of the money to police and firefighters. People who are underpaid and their life is on the line everday.
    I'll agree with you here. I often rant about how we should escalate the social position of LE and first responders in the US. I think the fact that most of our LE are bullies or far too uneducated on the low wages we pay them. aka... "You get what you pay for."

Public school teachers make way too much in some areas. Then, when they have the gall to complain or strike... please... Go get little Timmy some milk and STFU.

My kids, like myself, will never attend public schools as they exist now. (I shouldn't have to pay school taxes for the pub system then... But that's another thread.) I wouldn't have any issue with paying the salary of a private school teacher, because I'm expecting a certain level of proficiency for my dollar. So, it makes sense that I can choose to purchase that commodity. It seems so simple, and is widely believed to be a fundamental construct of our socio-economic environment in the US, but people should be compensated inline with their value to the functions to which they contribute.
    F*S=k

(Chester County)

Just like most people work more than 8 hours.
    Really, of all the people I know, none of them work more than 40 hours a week, let alone 55, and most of that is probably goofing off on top of that.

I was going to launch more of a defense, but I have been known to teacher bash too.
    Last edited by MartinBrody; November 4th, 2009 at 02:26 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast