Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Savage 12BVSS (Custom) 17 Mach IV Development Journal

Well this is a split from the Sunday 12-27-09 thread. I am going to try to log my load changes and development of this rifle to show what effects different steps in the reloading process/rifle setup have. Attached to this post is my starting load group of 15 shots @ 50yards. Below are mauser's comments that started this idea from the other thread. From this point on, or until I state differently, this will be my "Base" load. every change is based off of this base load. Obviously do not try this at home. I do not support anyone using these same practices without proper research. All charges and load configs mentioned in this thread are for this rifle only. This rifle is a custom rifle, there for these loads are only designed to work in this one rifle. Do NOT take this information and use it in your rifles/pistols. The purpose of this thread is to share from start to finish the load development process to help share information on the steps of reloading. By reading this thread you are agreeing to not use any information listed here. This is for thought provoking concept only.

I will take suggestion, but no suggestion will be used without my own research to support the claim. I will verify your idea before it is used so that there is no worry on your end. I will share the data that I find to support the claim so that way the thread can help validate different methods. I will not hold anyone responsible for their suggestions. I am my own person, and if I decide to use the suggestions listed by users I am making my own choice and I have done enough research on the suggestion to take full responsibility for my own safety.

Ok enough chatter here is the info.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Group B looks like 3 shots, I presume it's your sight-in group.
    Group C is impressive with 15 shots.
    Group A is even more impressive, I can't even see the hole.

Group A: I just passed over A because I wasn't sure where the bullets were going to hit due to the windage adjustment so I went in the middle.
    Group B: Your dead on, it was just to find where they were hitting.
    Group C: This was my group test and I was very happy. Definitely a solid start.

I still need to address the windage issue with that rifle/scope combo, and then I need to start dialing in the load. This load was my first load for this rifle. I used some data (COAL) from the previous owner's notes. But other than that I rolled a new powder and new primer. I don't even think the guy uniformed his primer pockets. So there is that, and neck turning that will be done soon to help bring some more consistency to the load. On top of the mentioned neck turning, and primer pocket uniforming, I plan to neck size the brass, and then weigh each brass and weigh each projectile, measure seating depth @ the ogive of the projectile, and finally deburr the flash hole. I want to get a flash hole uniformer, but I am trying to do it with what I have/ordered.

So here are my plans for the next loads;

Rifle Changes:
    ================================================== =======
    #1 Change scope to Mueller 8.5-32x44. The reason for this is for finer crosshairs. The Nikon just has to thick of crosshairs for this type of target shooting. In addition to this process, I hope to fix the windage issue.

#2 Make a minor adjustment to trigger.

Load Dev:
    I will shoot 10 shot groups from this point on as 15 makes a 50 round container a PITA.

#1 Base Load + Primer Pocket Uniforming (10rds) (Step 1)
    This load will start with the base load, but also having the primer pockets being uniformed.

#2 Base Load + Step 1 + weighing each projectile (10rds) (Step 2)
    This load will start with the base load, but also having the primer pockets being uniformed, and each projectile weighed. They will only be loaded if the RCBS scale that I am using displays an exact match.

#3 Base Load + Step 1 + Step 2 + weighing brass (10rds) (Step 3)
    This load will start with the base load, but also having the primer pockets being uniformed, each projectile weighed, and each case weighed. My goal is that they will only be loaded if the RCBS scale that I am using displays an exact match. I will determine if any tolerance will be used once I get an idea of brass weight.

So that's what I am going to get done by the weekend or sooner. I am waiting on my neck turner and shizzle so I didn't list that step until its in my hands.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fr0sty; December 30th, 2009 at 07:39 AM.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: 17 Mach IV Load Dev Journal

!!--Update--!!
    ================================================== ================================================== ========
    Load Config
    Well Monday night I went out and bought a bag of Remington .17 Fireball brass. I needed to rule out the previous owners mistakes in brass prep as once they started hitting the scale I was a bit surprised. Starting with the fresh bag, I should be able to get some good weight groupings so I can get started with a proper load. My big problem at the moment is that my case trimmer (Lyman) doesn't have a .17 guide, so I am pretty much stuck with what they come out to until I have a chance to get one. That is on my immediate list of hit to do/get.

I am in the process of prepping the 100rds of brass and should hopefully have enough done to tonight to take out tomorrow with Brad and get some shooting done. I will need shoot all of this brass to get it formed correctly for this weekend's lil get shoot idea we have.

I plan to load these rounds on the very warm to hot side to ensure proper case forming. I also plan to use 30gr projectiles for the added pressure.
    ================================================== ================================================== ========

Scope Change
    Last night I swapped the scope on the .17 from my Nikon Monarch 8-32x50ED (EXCELLENT SCOPE), over to the Mueller 8.5-32x44. The reason for this change was crosshair thickness. As much as I love the Nikon, for this type of shooting, the thickness of the Nikon is killing me. I have emails out to a couple of companies in hopes of getting them swapped over to a target setup. I am using Warnes rings, but I am definitely interested in a one piece design which will be the next scope related change that I make to this rifle. I am a fan of DeadNutz mounts due to cost, and overall quality of their products.

So this scope/ring swap should have eliminated my windage issue that I had with the previous setup. I have bore sighted the config, now it's just done to testing to see how it works.
    Last edited by Fr0sty; December 30th, 2009 at 07:41 AM.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Savage 12BVSS (Custom) 17 Mach IV Development Journal

Update:

Didn't shoot yet, 40mph winds tend to throw a 20gr projectile a little off the mark. In the mean time I did some more trigger adjustment, and even drilled a hole through the trigger guard allowing me to adjust the pull on the fly.

While playing with the rifle I noticed there was a spot that was seriously touching the barrel. So i took the some sand paper and finished off the free float. Now its pretty

(Lebanon County)

What's the diameter of the shaft of the pilot that your trimmer takes?
    If it's 3/16" it would be easy to make your pilot. You or I could do it.
    If it's 1/8" you almost need a lathe. Maybe Charlie would do it for you.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Lebanon County)

What's the diameter of the shaft of the pilot that your trimmer takes?
    If it's 3/16" it would be easy to make your pilot. You or I could do it.
    If it's 1/8" you almost need a lathe. Maybe Charlie would do it for you.
    My calipers said the shaft of the pilot is .138"

(Lebanon County)

Here it be,

It works very well! Thanks Mauser.

This went from a .24 to a .17
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fr0sty View Post
    Here it be,

It works very well! Thanks Mauser.

This went from a .24 to a .17
    Damn, that was quick, we just hung up the phone a few minutes ago.
    You might want to put a little bit of a lead on that.

(Lebanon County)

Damn, that was quick, we just hung up the phone a few minutes ago.
    You might want to put a little bit of a lead on that.
    lead? as in tamper or lead as in the stuff bullets are made from?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fr0sty View Post
    lead? as in tamper or lead as in the stuff bullets are made from?
    How about a taper? As in truncated cone. Approximately 1/3 of the length of the pilot body, or about 1/16"-3/32".

(Lebanon County)

How about a taper? As in truncated cone. Approximately 1/3 of the length of the pilot body, or about 1/16"-3/32".
    LoL Yea taper.

It has a VERY VERY small taper that I tried to use from the original. You have to use calipers to see it though. I ran a couple cases off and your idea worked like a charm. As always a big thank you. It was a bizznitch to find the proper pilot. Then I woulda had to give them like $6.00 for a lil piece of shit, not to mention prolly pay like $5.00 on shipping and then the week + wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast