Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tokarev svt40

(Lancaster County)

Question tokarev svt40

Hi everyone, i have recently acquired a Soviet Marine svt40.
    here is what im up against, the corrosive powder ate the inside of the barrel to hell, i've cleaned it as best as i can, is there anything else i can do to get it better?

is there a possibility that gas piston tube and internals are screwed? can they be cleaned up?

i'm not looking to shoot this gun all the time, just once or twice and just safe queen it.

all advice is appreciated. thanks, ken

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: tokarev svt40

if your barrels corroded your gas piston will be too. i would immediately give that thing a detailed scrubbing. what to clean it with now i'm not to sure of though. after shooting corrosive stuff i just scrub it with really hot water,bore solvent and oil. i've never dealt with a barrel that was corroded due to ammo. i would suggest right now some gun oil to stop the corrosion process. i'm sure others will chime in with personel experience on how to recover whats left of your barrel.wish i could be of more help

Scrub the crap out of it with Hoppes...then shoot it. Scrub the crap out of it while the gun is still hot (at the range) and you'll see more gunk come out. Scrub the crap out of it after it cools. Then, I use Kroil (http://www.kanolabs.com/) overnight and then scrub again.

One bit of caution: make sure you shoot periodically as you clean. Some of my trash-bore rifles shot better before I cleaned them thoroughly. If you're scrubbing and scrubbing and the groups start to open up, stop! You'll never get it shiny anyway...

Good luck!

(Indiana County)

You need to "kill" the corrosive properties of the primers used in the old ammo.

Hot soapy (dishsoap) water poured down the bore is all you need to do to stop the chemical process and futher corrosion.

Wash the piston, ect as well.

Oil with a quality oil (I never use anything but Breakfree CLP for storage).

Be aware, I once cleaned the crap out of an old Steyr using Butch's Bore Shine when I was 18 or so. I cleaned and soaked that gun for a week until every bit of green fouling came out of the bore.

When I shot it next, it would keep a group of about 2 feet at 100yds.

IMO, clean your gun with hot soapy water, oil it, check it in a few days to be sure no rust is developing, oil it again, and store it away, that's all you need to do.

(York County)

you describe the typical bore condition of an SVT40. lots of these have dark bores when imported and improper cleaning after use of surplus 54r ammo will do this. to neutralize the corrosive salts from the primers, simply squirt windex down the bore at the range when you are finished. make sure it is the kind WITH ammonia as that is the chemical needed to fight the salts. once home, clean as normal. i have had a couple of these with fuzzy black bore clean up nicely after shooting, windex, and cleaning. i have never had any problems with the gas system though. the gas system on these rifles is adjustable so if you are doing a detailed strip and clean, make sure you note the original setting of the gas system BEFORE taking it apart.

these are a joy to shoot and cheap right now. the gas and operating systems are a bit complicated for field use (its major drawback in military service), but its easily taken down and re-assembled. just amke sure you keep track of all of the springs, pins, rods, etc.

i second the hot soapy water deal. I actually boil mine and pour it down the bore. then it is chased with sweets 7.62, and finally hoppes #9 and oil. if you check gunboards.com i believe there was a member a couple of months making new stainless gas pistons and cups for these. While they are a hoot to shoot be sure to shoot only light ball out of these, heavy ball puts unnecessary wear on these old warhorses.

Quote Originally Posted by shotgun005 View Post
    Hi everyone, i have recently acquired a Soviet Marine svt40.
    here is what im up against, the corrosive powder ate the inside of the barrel to hell, i've cleaned it as best as i can, is there anything else i can do to get it better?

is there a possibility that gas piston tube and internals are screwed? can they be cleaned up?

i'm not looking to shoot this gun all the time, just once or twice and just safe queen it.

all advice is appreciated. thanks, ken
    Hi Ken!

Try not to hit anyone out there, I have a *lot* of kinfolk in and around Landisville.

I'll add that you should be soaking the piston base in some type of penetrating oil, and after a while try unscrewing it a little...maybe an eighth of a turn and then back. Do this for several days to work some oil into the threads. The gas piston has right hand threads, so it turns the same direction as a modern bolt. You should be able to use a regular open end wrench to loosen the piston. If you're concerned about the finish on the piston flats, a couple of layers of masking tape will make the wrench jaws "soft".

After the piston's out, tap the regulator drum out through the piston base bore. Note the regulator setting before removing.

Clean all threads and mating surfaces. Consider treating threads with automotive anti-seize before reinstalling.

BTW, the "1.1", "1.3", "1.7" marks on the regulator is the orifice size in millimeters, larger orifice=more cylinder pressure=more bolt carrier opening force.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Does anybody know a source for the combo tool?

Quote Originally Posted by cuerno-de-chivo View Post
    Does anybody know a source for the combo tool?
    Mark Kubes sells a repro tool, but you're better off with modern tools. I use a modern open end wrench wrapped in masking tape, sheet lead or brass to prevent marring.

But, if you want a repro, check out:

http://www.buymilsurp.com/svt-40-tok...70-p-3396.html

Or you can make one yourself with 1/8 sheet aluminum or brass like this:

Here's the original tool kit & pouch, just for future reference:

Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Chester County)

all good advice, and the rifle is well worth the efforts you make to improve its shootability. How is the rest of the rifle? How about some pictures?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast