Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default economical ruger 10/22 mags

I posted a thread about ruger 10/22 mags last week. A lot of people recommended those tactical innovation mags. Those things are EXPENSIVE. I want to get about 6-7 higher capacity mags. Shelling out a few hundred dollars really isn't an option for me. However, people also recommended the steel lips mags. Is that your final recommendation? I also saw some 30 round eagle magazines. Are those good? How about the other manufacturers that make mags? I already know that ramline is bad. But what about the others?

Are these any good?
    http://andean-inc.com/Merchant5/merc...2magazines22lr
    Last edited by etep513; November 7th, 2008 at 12:15 AM.

Default Re: economical ruger 10/22 mags

We have several Hot Lips mags. that have worked very well. Every Eagle Mag. that I know about was a problem.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    We have several Hot Lips mags. that have worked very well. Every Eagle Mag. that I know about was a problem.
    Do you know what website offers the best prices for steel lips magazines?

The biggest problem with these and any other mags, is if you pay for junk, you get junk. In other words, for the MOST PART, the more expensive mags run better.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    The biggest problem with these and any other mags, is if you pay for junk, you get junk. In other words, for the MOST PART, the more expensive mags run better.
    Jules
    I do not know how much experience that you have with the Hot Lips and Steel Lips but ours are from before the last AWB and have been through thousands of rounds and still work fine. The best retail price that I have seen is from CDNN.

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    I do not know how much experience that you have with the Hot Lips and Steel Lips but ours are from before the last AWB and have been through thousands of rounds and still work fine. The best retail price that I have seen is from CDNN.
    When I said "these mags", I meant mags for the 10/22. The Steel Lips are fantastic. Sorry you got the wrong idea from my post.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    When I said "these mags", I meant mags for the 10/22. The Steel Lips are fantastic. Sorry you got the wrong idea from my post.
    Jules
    Please excuse me for over looking your post. No apology necessary. Due to the fact that I do not know how to type my replys tend to be terse when that is not my intention. Please accept my apology if my poor wording left the impression that I was taking a swipe at you.

(York County)

i just bought a "cheap" Eagle 10 / 22 30-rd. Mag from the Sportsmans Guide for $9.97 to try. Also bought the more expensive Butler Creek 10-22 Steel Lips Magazine 25 Round (Clear) for $27.75 at eGuns.com (it was slightly cheaper from eGuns than Midway, including cheaper shipping costs). Also bought the Butler Creek Magazine Loader for Hot Lips and Steel Lips Magazines for $25.95 at eGuns. Several Web stores, including eguns, are currently out of stock and backordered on the 25+ round mags for the 10/22.
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

Two things come to mind. Firstly high capacity magazines, unless you get several, actually decreased my enjoyment of 10/22 range time. I have 1 10-shot magazine and 1 50 shot magazine and let me tell you, that 50 shot magazine takes a LONG time to load. I wish I had gone with a couple 20 or 30 shot magazines instead.

Second, I bought a cheaper brand with plastic feed lips. They are starting to show signs of wear and last week I think I had a failure to feed because of the magazine. I'm not 100% sure as I was using some super-ultra cheap ammo, but I can clearly see the wear on the magazine. On that same note with wear comes little pieces of plastic being scraped off and caught up either in the chamber or around the bolt, that can't possibly be a good thing.

Spend the extra money, if you can, and get magazines with steel feed lips, and pick up 2 (or 3 or 4) magazines. Your enjoyment of that little rifle will go up immensely.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.