Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default What's it take to have a po-lease department?

The discussion about carrying at a university and the university po-lease brought back a question that I've been pondering for a while but never investigated.

What does it take to have a po-lease department?

Bayer, outside of Pittsburgh has a campus larger than most universities and has their own fire department but only has a "security department." However, other private organizations like universities have "Police Departments" with gun toting, baton wielding, arresting po-lease officers. Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh has a police department but AFIK, the other UPMC hospitals don't (Pgh Police man the metal detector at Presby).

So what does it take to have a police department? Can I form one for my property?

(York County)

Default Re: What's it take to have a po-lease department?

Money. Lots of money. And probably something from the local, or state government giving you the authority I would think.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Jefferson County)

PA law still provides for "private police" for certain types of organizations. The officers are sworn in by a local judge.

Another way is for the business/area/land/whatever to become a recognized municipality.

(Schuylkill County)

I didn't look it up for PA, but some states have certain organizations written into statutes. Universities and railroads come to mind

(Lackawanna County)

State Act 228 of 1865 set the requirements, and it was extended the next year to "embrace all corporations, firms, or individuals, owning, leasing, or being in possession of any colliery, furnace, or rolling mill within this commonwealth." and that their badges be emblazoned 'Coal and Iron Police'. the business owners had to pay the Commonwealth the princely sum of $1 for the right to establish their own police force. The law was rescinded in 1931.

In 42 Pa.C.S. 8953 (specifically 42 Pa.C.S. 89 Subchapter D, university police were authorized " to exercise the same powers as are now or may hereafter be exercised under authority of law or ordinance by the police of the municipalities wherein the college or university is located." and "When so acting, the campus police of the college or university shall have the same powers, immunities, and benefits granted to police officers ".
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Allegheny County)

Too bad they rescinded that law, I could put a foundry in my garage and be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWinger View Post
    Too bad they rescinded that law, I could put a foundry in my garage and be good to go.
    Yeah but what good would that do you? Outside of PA not much at all.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjames_71 View Post
    Yeah but what good would that do you? Outside of PA not much at all.
    Actually, the US HoR's (hah!) enacted legislation that stipulates that any sworn officer of the law can carry anywhere in the 50 without a permit, or some such. I know thats probably missing the caveats and without a citation it's worthless. Some individual here will know and let us all know, though!

I'd like to be deputized just for that reason alone.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thatJeffguy View Post
    Actually, the US HoR's (hah!) enacted legislation that stipulates that any sworn officer of the law can carry anywhere in the 50 without a permit, or some such. I know thats probably missing the caveats and without a citation it's worthless. Some individual here will know and let us all know, though!
    I read about that in NRA's magazine but I think that it is still waiting for the Senate but I could be wrong.

If I could find out how to become a reserve deputy, I would. Would especially like to be part of their motorcycle unit.

Quote Originally Posted by thatJeffguy View Post

Oh trust me, I know all about LEOSA, still won't help. See one of the stips is the agency must be governmental NOT private. All those private police agencies (to include amtrak for the time being) technically aren't covered. Currently the FOP is trying to get it changed so DoA, DoN, Amtrak, and all the other private agencies get coverage. Its just not "any sworn officer", a few requirements to fulfill.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWinger View Post
    I read about that in NRA's magazine but I think that it is still waiting for the Senate but I could be wrong.
    Yes you could be..was signed back in '04
    Last edited by chrisjames_71; April 22nd, 2009 at 06:05 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast