Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: ruger revolver

(Luzerne County)

Default ruger revolver

i was down at my local gun shop and the guy had shown me this really nice revolver. i know it was a ruger. it was black, it had i think a 9 or 9.5 inch barrel, it was a .22 that came with 2 cylinders, one for .22lr and one for .22mag. he was selling it for $275.00 used i think. i am interested in it but don't know anything about it, info would be helpful. thanks
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." - Robert E. Lee

(Chester County)

Default Re: ruger revolver

Μολὼν λάβε

(Adams County)

That was a Single Six you found. A fine little single action revolver. You will love it! fun plinker, and a fantastic little critter popper!

Don't know the condition...but $275.00 sounds "okay". Check the forcing cone, crown, cylinder lock up and play fore and aft (end shake).

I would seriously consider another Single Six at that price if I came across it. Especially with the 9.5 inch bbl, and if it hat the scope mount included.
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

(Susquehanna County)

I love mine able to shoot it without aiming just pull and point. Wouldn't carry off my land but I carry it for Rattlesnakes. It to big for CC and I don't like to open carry. If I had to I would thought without a problem

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    yes that is the one, it looks like a good revolver,i'd like it to use it for some plinking and maybe for small game.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." - Robert E. Lee

Ruger Single Six's are a sweet little gun for sure, have owned one before, loved it, so did the ex . . .
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

I have one and use it for targets and squirrels. Fine revolver.
    Jules

(Centre County)

That's a good price for that reveolver as long as it's in good shape. All the Single Six's I've owned over the years have been very accurate. My current on is a 5 1/2" model and is a blast to shoot. Easy to carry and cheap to shoot.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Ruger makes some fine revolvers (I own two). A .22 is a great caliber for plinking with a wheel gun: you can shoot it all day without wearing yourself out, you don't have to worry about jamming problems common in .22 semi-autos, and the ammo is ridiculously cheap. Besides, .22 rounds are pretty easy on the gun, too.

One question I would have is when the gun was manufactured. Some of the older Ruger revolvers do not have a transfer bar safety mechanism, meaning the hammer can accidently strike the firing pin directly and discharge the round. It's not a real big concern, but it is something you would want to be aware of if you decide to buy it. If it does not have a transfer bar, make you keep an empty cylinder in front of the hammer when you carry it.

If it's in reasonably good shape and good working order, you could do a whole lot worse than $275 for a pistol like that.
    - Steve

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

(Adams County)

One question I would have is when the gun was manufactured. Some of the older Ruger revolvers do not have a transfer bar safety mechanism, meaning the hammer can accidently strike the firing pin directly and discharge the round. It's not a real big concern, but it is something you would want to be aware of if you decide to buy it. If it does not have a transfer bar, make you keep an empty cylinder in front of the hammer when you carry it.
    This is in reference to the pre-1973 "old model" single actions made btween 1953 and 1972. Check the frame screws. If there are three (03) it is a "old model".

If you buy it, and it is the "old model"....Ruger will install the safety conversion for free, and return the parts for collector value.
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”