Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Old revolver - what is it?

Hello,

I stumbled across this site while looking for some info about an old revolver a friend of mine has a family heirloom. It appears to be a Colt 1861 Navy but I don't think the barrel is long enough. If anybody has any info, please let me know. He's going to take it to a show in the next few weeks too, but I was hoping for some insight on it a little sooner.

Thanks!

Default How about some more details?

A few details might help. Like, caliber...31, 36, 44? And please include any markings & text. Colts had the Colt markings on the top of the barrel, Spanish & European copies often didn't. And it looks like the roll-engraving is missing on the cylinder, suggesting it's a clone. Can't tell from the picture, try to get some pics with better focus.

The loading mechanism puts it in the same family as the 1849 & 1851 series. It also appear to be a six shot cylinder (some were 5), is this correct?
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Default Re: Old revolver - what is it?

Find a copy of Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms. Great source.

Rick

(Adams County)

May sound silly....but the Army had some Navy's cut down for Artillery units. This might be a replica Artillery Model?
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XUSNORDY View Post
    May sound silly....but the Army had some Navy's cut down for Artillery units. This might be a replica Artillery Model?
    Thanks for the replies so far. I'll get a little more info to see if it helps.

Also, I'm guessing this is not a replica (I don't know when a gun like this would be considered a replica?) but it has been in the family for at least 90 years.

(Allegheny County)

I got some more info:

“Colts Patent - .21 Cal” (I think it reads .21 cal but it could read .31 cal)

Serial Number – “242501”

Address: “Col Saml Colt New York US Americas”

Looks like a 1849 -- .31 caliber -- I think they were 5 shot revolvers.

As someone suggested -- Get a Flaydermans guide, They are pretty common guns and the replicas are also pretty popular.

Looks like it's missing a Hammer Screw, Dixie Gun works more than likely has a replacement screw, They are very easy guns to disassemble/reassemble.

Good Luck
    TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Centre County)

Could be a Colt Pocket Pistol. Colt manufactured cap and ball revolvers that had shorter barrels than their normal revolvers. They were referred to as pocket pistols and many of the Union and Confederate troops carried them during the Civil War (or the War of Aggression for those south of the Mason Dixon:-)

Quote Originally Posted by park ranger View Post
    Could be a Colt Pocket Pistol. Colt manufactured cap and ball revolvers that had shorter barrels than their normal revolvers. They were referred to as pocket pistols and many of the Union and Confederate troops carried them during the Civil War (or the War of Aggression for those south of the Mason Dixon:-)

Hey Park,

FYI -- The 1849 Colt IS a pocket pistol, It was the Kel-Tec of it's day. I have a Colt Sidehammer (Root) in .28cal and it's even smaller still, but was a much more complicated design and wasn't that popular. The 1849 was a VERY popular gun and somewhere in the back of my head something is telling me it was THE most produced of all the Colt Open Top Percussion guns, I could be wrong, I guess if it matters someone can Google it. There was also a Baby Dragoon that was slightly smaller than the 1849 But I think those came without the attached Ramrod like the Original Patterson that started it all.
    Recoil Happens

(Berks County)

Looks like a Colt 1849 Pocket revolver. A 5 shot, .31 caliber (today's .32). There was probably a roll engraved scene of a stagecoach robbery on the cylinder, and the brass backstrap (grip) was silver plated.
    As stated, they were very popular and were a best selling Colt for many years. Many of those still around show a lot of wear from being carried, but I recently saw one in very good condition for sale for $1500.
    Find a gunsmith who knows old revolvers and have it checked. It seems like it needs a little TLC.

Enjoy it.

mark
    Another armed Liberal veteran.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast