Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default OC'ed for the first time last night. It was . . . interesting.

I've been reading on these boards about all the people who OC all the time with no issue, so I decided to give it a shot myself. I was carrying my Para 1911 in my new Blackhawk Serpa holster that arrived on my front porch yesterday. I had on jeans and a black t-shirt. Nothing super tacticool or threatening.

I was in Best Buy shopping for a new TV when one of the employees, maybe in his late 20's or early 30's, came over and asked if he could help me with anything. At this point, he was on my left side, any my gun was on my right hip. I turned to him and said "actually yeah, I have some questions about some TVs". Now that I was facing him, he could see my sidearm. I saw his eyes immediately go down to it. He looked back up at me wide-eyed and I could have sworn he was about to tell me to get out of the store or something. Instead he says "Nice gun!" I was in a bit of a state of shock, having expected him to react negatively. . so after a brief pause I just said "Thanks." But here's where things got hairy. He turns to a couple of his co-workers and says, rather loudly, and in a busy store "hey guys come check this out! This guy has a sweet gun!" The last thing I wanted to do was be the center of attention in the middle of a busy retail store because of the gun on my hip, so I just said "have a nice day" and turned and left the store. I didn't know how else to remedy the situation this man put me in without causing a scene. Did I handle it correctly?

Default Re: OC'ed for the first time last night. It was . . . interesting.

Gee, that was surely an unexpected turn of events and quite a surprise for you, I'm sure . Certainly not an expected response from someone who notices your OCing. I would say in that case you made a good decision.
    Although I am not speaking from experience as I don't OC.

(Chester County)

I don't OC either, but I think you handled the situation well. The clerk shouldn't have drawn inappropriate attention to your sidearm.

Slim
    "How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an Anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."- Ronald Reagan

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Did I handle it correctly?
    Initially yes. That's probably what I'd have done in the same situation, but he brought unwanted attention to you.

Sitting here in front of the computer though, it's easier to come up w/other scenarios. You might have educated him to the fact that he should not bring attention to someone who is carrying (unless that someone looks suspicious) because the fact as to what you are doing is perfectly legal and he doesn't know if he has 'outed' you to a potential 'crazy', terrorist or thief.........and THEN I would have walked out to emphasis that point explaining why you're leaving and why he lost the sale.

Just my $.02.
    C.R.

(The Invisible Poster)

(Wayne County)

Very well executed. Or, maybe that was his way of getting you out of the store. I doubt it but you never know. It was highly inappropriate imo. He lacks maturity. Maybe Circuit City will bring you better luck. Since it's getting closer to "the nicer weather" I'm really thinking about OC'ing. It's just so much easier when the weather is nice. Shirt tucked in with the Glock on your side....it just looks sharp. I'm always contemplating what shirt to wear OVER my sidearm etc. So, I'll build my confidence slowly and then I'll make my debut. Hopefully soon.
    Last edited by SFMarine; March 13th, 2008 at 08:14 AM.

(Luzerne County)

Did you handle it appropriately?.... That's a tough question. We have to consider the fact that this was your first OC.

As you found out, the reaction was not what you expected (pos v neg).
    Keeping in mind that people commenting on your gun is not a very common occurrence, you just happened to have it happen first time out.

I speculate, that in the same situation, I would have done one of two things depending on how much of a scene the associate was creating with the reaction. If the dept was relatively slow and one or two guys were the target of his summons I would probably have gone with the flow. It's a good opportunity to "get the word out" so to say. If it was a bit too awkward, such as in a busy store, etc, I may just try and say something to divert the interest such as "yes, I think it's very attractive but I prefer not to do much show and tell in public since some people are not so receptive of gun-talk" <smile>

Ultimately you have to do what your comfortable with. Politely changing your mind and leaving is fine but I would be concerned with the "WTF" impression the associate may have been left with in regards to the "guy with the gun".

(Berks County)

I'll preface this by saying I've never had the courage to OC, so my opinion is from a layman's perspective; take it FWIW.

Given you're from Berks county, was this at the Best Buy in Wyomissing? If so, I'm pleasantly surprised that you received a positive reaction, as I'd be concerned about OC'ing anywhere in the greater Reading area.

As for your handling of the situation, I agree that diffusing unwanted attention is a good thing. However, be careful not to look like you're in a panic while doing it, otherwise people might be suspicious of you. I'm not saying that's what you did, just be aware that if you nervously walk away from a group of interested people, that too can potentially create more unwanted attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    I speculate, that in the same situation, I would have done one of two things depending on how much of a scene the associate was creating with the reaction. If the dept was relatively slow and one or two guys were the target of his summons I would probably have gone with the flow. It's a good opportunity to "get the word out" so to say. If it was a bit too awkward, such as in a busy store, etc, I may just try and say something to divert the interest such as "yes, I think it's very attractive but I prefer not to do much show and tell in public since some people are not so receptive of gun-talk" <smile>
    Agree with these suggestions completely. Always good to promote the cause if an opportunity presents itself.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; March 13th, 2008 at 09:20 AM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

I did make sure to calmly and slowly leave the store. I made no sudden movements towards the door, nor did I act in anyway that could have been considered nervous. I just wanted out of that situation.

(Montgomery County)

no problem with how you handled it.. but I hear what Pa Patriot is mentioning about just asking the guy not to make a fuss because some people get weird about it.. heck, you were there for a purpose, and now wasted a trip..ha

but I can understand that discomfort, so rolling on out of there is fine too..

(Berks County)

I drove down the street to Circuit City, had no issues with my sidearm, and got a better price and better customer service on my new TV anyway

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast