Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Hi Power Fever- need some advice

It's finally time to submit to the compulsion and buy the gun I've been lusting after.....A Hi Power.
    I'm looking at an FM Detective 9mm which is not a clone but rather made under license in Argentina on FN tooling. Best price so far is $325 from Sarco in NJ

Charles Daly 9mm which is a clone made in the USA. Best price is from CDNN - $299

The Real Deal. An FN Browning HP #III made in Belgium in .40. also from CDNN @ $438

I can't come close to any of these prices either online or locally for new or used pistols.

I would be grateful if anyone knew of other dealers that might be competitive or have some input into which model is the best value.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Hi Power Fever- need some advice

Quote Originally Posted by franknphilly View Post
    It's finally time to submit to the compulsion and buy the gun I've been lusting after.....A Hi Power.
    I'm looking at an FM Detective 9mm which is not a clone but rather made under license in Argentina on FN tooling. Best price so far is $325 from Sarco in NJ

Charles Daly 9mm which is a clone made in the USA. Best price is from CDNN - $299

The Real Deal. An FN Browning HP #III made in Belgium in .40. also from CDNN @ $438

I can't come close to any of these prices either online or locally for new or used pistols.

I would be grateful if anyone knew of other dealers that might be competitive or have some input into which model is the best value.
    Try King's, they're out of King of Prussia but he always has some HPs in stock and Roger is a hell of a guy. He may even have a few up for auction right now. If he doesn't though you should give him a call.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Centre County)

speaking of hi-power, whats everyone's opinion about Charles Daily's hi-power?

They are cheap. So if its decent, I would like to get one..
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

Red face Re: Hi Power Fever- need some advice

As I understand it, the internal parts for Charles Daly Hi powers are made by FEG in Hungary. FEG also makes a HI Power that is usually sold at a lower price than either the FN (Belgian) or FM (Argentine made under license). They're all nice pistols however the fit and finish on the FN is better than the other three with the Argentine model next best and the FEG and Daly last but still reliable and well designed guns.

You can't go wrong with any of them but resale value is going to be highest on the FN

(Montgomery County)

I have an Argy FM HiPower, its a hell of a gun, I think I paid $225 NIB for it.
    great shooter, but I dont do 9mm for CCW, all my CCW cals start with a .4

to me its a great range gun, and its accurate.
    get the 17rd south african mags from CDNN for it(as shown)!

"Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Centre County)

As I understand it, the internal parts for Charles Daly Hi powers are made by FEG in Hungary. FEG also makes a HI Power that is usually sold at a lower price than either the FN (Belgian) or FM (Argentine made under license). They're all nice pistols however the fit and finish on the FN is better than the other three with the Argentine model next best and the FEG and Daly last but still reliable and well designed guns.

You can't go wrong with any of them but resale value is going to be highest on the FN
    Now this got me wanting it again...
    A while back, I wanted to get one. But everyone tells me not to get it, because its not "FN". But my local dealer said it would be in neigborhood of low $300 BN.
    Now I'm thinking I'm gonna go talk to him about it again....

I'm assuming if above statement is true, then demention of the gun is same as well, there for everything made for hi-power should work with it ya?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Montgomery County)

FM in Argentina makes a forged gun, licensed by FN, on FN made/contracted equipment, its a FN military gun for all intents and purposes.

all normal Hi power mags and such I've tried fit and function, as do parts.

the difference is, the military gun is paint over parkerizing, may have obvious machining marks, and is not a pretty, hi-polished cobalt blue, walnut gripped, equisitely shiny FN civilian model you carry at the combat cocktail party

expect a military quality gun that shoots and shoots, and thats what you get.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Allegheny County)

Buy the FN. I have a FN HP that has the hard chrome finish with factory Pachmyers, combat sights and the gold trigger. It is my favorite automatic. Hits anything you point it at and feeds any 9 mm ammunition you put through it.

(Allegheny County)

Wink Re: Hi Power Fever- need some advice

As I read the fine (very fine) print in Sarco's ad, I see that they state "all firearm prices are DEALER PRICES." I think they mean that this Argentine FM is going to cost considerably more than the $325 that is advertised. In that case I'd clearly go with the FN which has far more features. The only thing negative about that gun is the caliber .40. Not sure why I don't like .40, I just don't. Maybe because I've owned 3 .40 caliber handguns over the years and had trouble with all of them. Not the ammo's fault, just bad luck with 2 Taurus and 1 S&W, all bought new.

I;m wondering whether Sarco would give me dealer pricing since I have my C/R? Other distributor like Century and SOG do. If anyone has a copy of Shotgun News, take a look at Sarco's add and see if you can tell whether firearm prices are higher to non dealers than the prices published?

I've found that, at the day, it's always better to buy the quality piece rather than trying to save nickles. Whenever I've bought junk, I've had to buy it twice. If not, I'm forever regretting not spending the extra $50 and getting what I really wanted.

"THE STINGY MAN SPENDS THE MOST"!

(Pike County)

The Charles Daly has a good rep and is built and tuned. Take a look on forum.m1911.org, they have a very good CD area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast