Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Almost kicked out of Best Buy in Whitehall

It was a close call, but an interesting interaction. I had a bunch of errands to run today for the business, one of which was a trip to Best Buy to replace a broken Bluetooth headset. As I walked in the door, I spoke to the Loss Prevention guy, asking for the location of the Bluetooth stuff as well as the men's room. Yeah, maybe you don't want to know that part, but it figures into the story. As I emerged from the men's room and started for the Bluetooth display, I saw the LP guy coming towards me waving his hand, and with a very concerned look on his face. I knew right then he was not coming to tell me my fly was unzipped.

"Excuse me sir, but do you have a permit for that gun?"

"Yes, I do, but I do not need one to carry it openly like this."

"Well, I need to see it if you are going to carry it in the store."

"Actually, you don't. I am not required to show my license to anyone when I am on foot."

"Well, you can't have that gun in here."

"Fine by me. I have been in here many times before carrying openly, and just last week I spent a whole bunch of time and money in this very store. But if it is a choice between showing you my license and leaving the store, I will leave now. If you don't want me in here, I will leave. Is that what you want me to do?"

"Yes sir."

I handed my Bluetooth back to the kid who was just about to answer some questions and started for the door along with the LP guy. On the way over, I asked him if he was the store manager. He replied that no he wasn't, but he was the LP manager. He then asked if I would like to speak with the store manager. I said that I would, as long as he did not mind me standing in the store with my gun on. He was fine with that.

Apparently there are two store managers. The one guy came over, and I explained that the LP guy was uncomfortable with me carrying my gun openly, and had asked me to leave. I asked if that was store policy. He replied that he did not know what store policy was, but thought that I needed a permit to carry a gun at all. He then remarked that he had been thinking of getting a permit himself. I handed him a PA Patriot flier. While he was reading it, the second manager arrived. He looked the flier over too. I explained that one did not need any sort of license or permit to carry a gun openly if he or she was on foot, but that as soon as that person stepped into a vehicle, it was considered concealed, and a license was required. Then I said,

"No one here saw me drive in here, right? For all you know, I walked here."

NOTE: The written word cannot convey my tone, inflection, or timing. I said this in such a way that all three people present with me started laughing. Anyone here who has spent any time with me will understand that last bit. Please do not assume that I was being a jerk just because you assume something about what I said. In fact, the entire exchange was amicable, and I defused the tension with humor. Or did I diffuse it with humor? Anyway...

The first manager looked over the flier, and said he didn't see any reason why I couldn't carry in the store. The second guy concurred after looking over the flier as well. I also promised that I would not shoot anyone while shopping (another laugh). As I walked over to the Bluetooth display again, accompanied by the one manager, he told me that the LP guy was a former NYPD guy, and while laid back, was very thorough. I picked up my merchandise, paid for it, and then stopped one more time to talk to the LP guy. We had a short conversation where I explained that I was not trying to be a hard case with him. He was actually very nice about the whole thing. I don't know if he will be contacting his superiors yet or what, but if he does, he at least has a flier to which he can refer. The manager guy encouraged me to return to the store and spend more money, so I don't think he has any problem. Hopefully the LP guy won't either.

Oh yeah, during our conversation, the LP guy wondered if I was some sort of cop. I replied, "Do I look like a cop!?!" And then I said, "I am actually undercover, spying on old rednecks". (another laugh) So I guess I will wait a few days and then go spend more money in Best Buy, all in the interest of promoting the Second Amendment. If this is the worst that ever happens to me, I can't really complain.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Almost kicked out of Best Buy in Whitehall

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Oh yeah, during our conversation, the LP guy wondered if I was some sort of cop. I replied, "Do I look like a cop!?!" And then I said, "I am actually undercover, spying on old rednecks". (another laugh)
    LOL, thanks I needed a good laugh today. And good job my friend.

PROUD WIFE OF PA. PATRIOT
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. "-Thomas Jefferson

(Berks County)

Good job, educated a couple people, got a few laughs, and got your blue tooth taken care of (although Im sure you could have gotten toothbrushes and whitener cheaper at the grocery stor lol).
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Lehigh County)

Well, if'n yer wanna spy on ol' rednecks, y'all came to the right place!

(Cumberland County)

great story bro keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    It was a close call, but an interesting interaction. I had a bunch of errands to run today for the business, one of which was a trip to Best Buy to replace a broken Bluetooth headset. As I walked in the door, I spoke to the Loss Prevention guy, asking for the location of the Bluetooth stuff as well as the men's room. Yeah, maybe you don't want to know that part, but it figures into the story. As I emerged from the men's room and started for the Bluetooth display, I saw the LP guy coming towards me waving his hand, and with a very concerned look on his face. I knew right then he was not coming to tell me my fly was unzipped.

"Excuse me sir, but do you have a permit for that gun?"

"Yes, I do, but I do not need one to carry it openly like this."

"Well, I need to see it if you are going to carry it in the store."

"Actually, you don't. I am not required to show my license to anyone when I am on foot."

"Well, you can't have that gun in here."

"Fine by me. I have been in here many times before carrying openly, and just last week I spent a whole bunch of time and money in this very store. But if it is a choice between showing you my license and leaving the store, I will leave now. If you don't want me in here, I will leave. Is that what you want me to do?"

"Yes sir."

I handed my Bluetooth back to the kid who was just about to answer some questions and started for the door along with the LP guy. On the way over, I asked him if he was the store manager. He replied that no he wasn't, but he was the LP manager. He then asked if I would like to speak with the store manager. I said that I would, as long as he did not mind me standing in the store with my gun on. He was fine with that.

Apparently there are two store managers. The one guy came over, and I explained that the LP guy was uncomfortable with me carrying my gun openly, and had asked me to leave. I asked if that was store policy. He replied that he did not know what store policy was, but thought that I needed a permit to carry a gun at all. He then remarked that he had been thinking of getting a permit himself. I handed him a PA Patriot flier. While he was reading it, the second manager arrived. He looked the flier over too. I explained that one did not need any sort of license or permit to carry a gun openly if he or she was on foot, but that as soon as that person stepped into a vehicle, it was considered concealed, and a license was required. Then I said,

"No one here saw me drive in here, right? For all you know, I walked here."

NOTE: The written word cannot convey my tone, inflection, or timing. I said this in such a way that all three people present with me started laughing. Anyone here who has spent any time with me will understand that last bit. Please do not assume that I was being a jerk just because you assume something about what I said. In fact, the entire exchange was amicable, and I defused the tension with humor. Or did I diffuse it with humor? Anyway...

The first manager looked over the flier, and said he didn't see any reason why I couldn't carry in the store. The second guy concurred after looking over the flier as well. I also promised that I would not shoot anyone while shopping (another laugh). As I walked over to the Bluetooth display again, accompanied by the one manager, he told me that the LP guy was a former NYPD guy, and while laid back, was very thorough. I picked up my merchandise, paid for it, and then stopped one more time to talk to the LP guy. We had a short conversation where I explained that I was not trying to be a hard case with him. He was actually very nice about the whole thing. I don't know if he will be contacting his superiors yet or what, but if he does, he at least has a flier to which he can refer. The manager guy encouraged me to return to the store and spend more money, so I don't think he has any problem. Hopefully the LP guy won't either.

Oh yeah, during our conversation, the LP guy wondered if I was some sort of cop. I replied, "Do I look like a cop!?!" And then I said, "I am actually undercover, spying on old rednecks". (another laugh) So I guess I will wait a few days and then go spend more money in Best Buy, all in the interest of promoting the Second Amendment. If this is the worst that ever happens to me, I can't really complain.

I wish i could have witnessed that conversation!!!!!!!!!

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post
    Well, if'n yer wanna spy on ol' rednecks, y'all came to the right place!
    That mastiff is beautiful! Or is it a bullmastiff? Hard to tell from a photo.

(York County)

3%

(Chester County)

Bravo!!! Bravo!!! Well done sir, it looks like it has been a great OC day all over. Eventually every one will know that OC is legal and please leave us the hell alone as we are just trying to live our life. Would rep you but apparently I have whored it up with you to recently, can any one hook him up for me? Please.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Cumberland County)

As a manager with Best Buy I can tell you that it is up to the General Manager what rules he wants to make and enforce in his/her store as long as it follows local, state and federal laws and does not go against company policy (there is no gun policy for customers). Although the Whitehall location is not in my district I know one of the Assistant Managers and their DM so maybe I will send an email pointing these facts out.... OR....... you can take the drive to Mechancisburg where all 3 of my LP guys carry, and shoot regularly along with my GM (who I recently converted, as posted in a previous thread) or perhaps the Computer Supervisor who shoots, maybe the LP/Inventory Supervisor who just bought a Glock or hell maybe even one of the other Assistant Managers who is a ex-Seal that loves to shoot with me!! I am not even going to start with my line level employees....we LOVE OUR GUNS!!!! Sorry for the somewhat negative experiance but congrats on the way you handled yourself and educated!
    "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"A Canadian is sort of like an American, but without the gun"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast