Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default S&W 3913 LadySmith vs Glock 19 for wife

My wife is in a quandary, trying to pick between these two guns. We've recently come across a brand new S&W 3913 LadySmith (I didn't even know they were made anymore, or perhaps this one just never sold) and really likes the way it feels in her hands. She's also taken a real liking to the Glock 19, and simply can't make up her mind, so I told her I'd post and see what kind of opinions she'd get. Gun will be used for concealed carry, and also IDPA.

We know all the technical details. Both guns are tough, both guns have a rep for unfailing reliability, both guns are accurate. The 15 rounds of the Glock are balanced by the flatness of the LadySmith and the greater ease of concealibility. As far as IDPA, 8 rnds vs 10 isn't all that huge, either.

So, any opinions out there?

BTW, I was handling that Glock 19, also. It didn't feel as bad in my hand as I remembered, and it actually pointed better than I remembered. I really like the size of the 19, always have. Even if she doesn't pick one up, I might, even though it means I'd have to use jacketed bullets in my reloading instead of cast. I checked the cost of that, and I can get bulk bullets from Cabella's for not all that much more than cast.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Delaware County)

Default Re: S&W 3913 LadySmith vs Glock 19 for wife

They're both almost exactly the same size aren't they?

I've got Dad's 3913 in the safe. I probably haven't shot it in 8 years.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(York County)

I'd go for the Glock, but the Ladysmith would probably be more concealable.
    Has she considered her method of carry yet? That would have an influence on her decision.

Although I prefer the Glock and carry a 19 occasionally, my most frequently carried gun is a little Taurus .38 lightweight. I most often carry in a pocket.

(Berks County)

Since comfort and ability to operate either platform is NOT an issue for your spouse, unlike mine lol, then its concealbilty.

If she can conceal the Glock then the additional rounds are a big plus over the Lady Smith. If on the other hand concealment becomes an issue then its the Lady Smith.

Biggest problem I had for my wife was finding a holster that she could conceal as her clothes are not as loose fitting and baggy as I wear. Also account for the hip as the dimensions are different and can change the ability of a holster to properly conceal on a woman.

I'm thinking tuckable type holster first or a milt sparks summer special type rig as first go to holsters. My experience with fobus has soured me on that brand.

Good luck and be careful out there, and properly concealed
    gotta love her ;)

(Luzerne County)

I think you are already set on the glock for yourself. Why not get both. You can always trade in one later.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

I'm partial to the Glock for several reasons. First, no need to manipulate a safety on the Glock like on the Smith. Second, capacity of the Glock. Third, Glock is 3 oz lighter (empty). Lastly, the Smith is only .28 of an inch narrower. I suspect there a big difference in the trigger pull between the two. And don't overlook the ease or difficulty of racking the slide on each (for your wife).
    Toujours prêt

I can try to give you some advice based on a parallel experience. You're looking at a G19 versus a S&W 3913. I have both a Glock 23 and a S&W 4013 ... basically the same guns you are looking at except in .40 S&W instead of 9mm. My wife has shot both. She really likes the feel of the 4013 in her hand, but actually prefers the G23, because the G23 has the same trigger pull every time. She really doesn't like the DA/SA trigger on the 4013. Based on that fact, I went looking for a 9mm with more-or-less the same profile as the 3913 but with a DA-only (or striker fired) trigger and settled on the Kahr P9. That gun she really liked. So I suggest taking a look at the Kahr. If you are really settled on either the Glock or the S&W, talk to her about the trigger pull.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.

I almost bought the 19 until I tried the 26...... LOVE it. Hhahhaa have HER try one if she hasn't!

(Pike County)

Go for what she likes the best, how the gun handles is very important.
    If money permits, I think that normanvin has it right, you like the Glock and you can share it, and she gets the Smith.
    Merry Christmas!

Add: the other thing to remember is that the Glock is easy to find the Smith is not so common.
    Last edited by gf45acp; December 24th, 2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: add: avail

(Montgomery County)

Too funny. I found this thread doing a Google search trying to get some info on Ladysmith revolvers. So Joe, which one did you get?
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast