Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC VACATION

(Allegheny County)

Default SC VACATION

I'll be heading to Beaufort, SC Friday evening to see my son who is stationed there and for a family vacation before school starts. I have my PA LTCF so I know that I can carry in WVA, and NC due to reciprocal agreements and I have printed the state laws for both those states. SC I am aware that I cannot carry due to no reciprocal agreement and if we are going on the base for any reason I am aware I will need to leave the firearm at the house where we are staying. Am I legally permitted to have the firearm in a vehicle? What other requirments do I need to make myself aware of?

Thanks in advance.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: SC VACATION

Your license is good in WV, VA, and NC. ...figuring you are going down I79,US19, I77, etc..

Glovebox and console carry of a loaded gun is legal in SC. As you're passing into SC from NC - just pull your gun out of the holster and put it in the glovebox or console. You may carry concealed to/from your vehicle to your residence or room where occupancy taxes have been paid(motel).

NC is a must notify state. ...if ya get pulled over you have better roll the window down, keep hands on wheel and state in a loud, calm and polite manner before the LEO gets to the back of the car that, "I have a license for the firearm that I am carrying in a holster on my side(or where ever it is)."

And of course - absolutely NO firearms on base. ...leave it home
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

My girlfriend wants to go on vacation this spring to SC, but I told her I can't do it because of the lack of reciprocity there. So she's going to settle for NC!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    NC is a must notify state. ...if ya get pulled over you have better roll the window down, keep hands on wheel and state in a loud, calm and polite manner before the LEO gets to the back of the car that, "I have a license for the firearm that I am carrying in a holster on my side(or where ever it is)."
    "Before" he gets to the back of your car? Is that actual law or something else? I would think you would increase the officer's anxiety if you started talking loudly to him before he even gets to your window...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Your license is good in WV, VA, and NC. ...figuring you are going down I79,US19, I77, etc..

Glovebox and console carry of a loaded gun is legal in SC. As you're passing into SC from NC - just pull your gun out of the holster and put it in the glovebox or console. You may carry concealed to/from your vehicle to your residence or room where occupancy taxes have been paid(motel).

And of course - absolutely NO firearms on base. ...leave it home

I did read in NC Firearms laws about it being a "Must Notify State" . You pretty much confirmed what I had been led to believe based on what I read about SC and being able to keep in glovebox or center console. I'll likely be taking my Bersa .380 on the trip with me due to its compact size.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by cybrus View Post
    "Before" he gets to the back of your car? Is that actual law or something else? I would think you would increase the officer's anxiety if you started talking loudly to him before he even gets to your window...
    My thoughts as well. Last thing I want to do is tell an LEO I am carrying in a loud voice.
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

(York County)

We have been vacationing in Nc for years and last summer I just tired of the speculation and asked the 1st officer I came across what "must notify" meant. He says to me that as long you tell me about it pretty much right away, and that means before I ask you for your liscence and registration. So I say basically once you get to the window and say how you doing this eveing sir? Do you know why I pulled you over? He said that would be a good time. I don't think you need to scream it out the window as he's walking up to the car.

Dave
    3%

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by cybrus View Post
    The notify part, yes - is law.

The part about notifying them before back of the car, no - not law. I think the laws says something about "as soon as possible upon contact with an officer". But speaking from experience and from how the NC State Police worded things to me I highly suggest you let them know ASAP. They do not want to be notified right at the point that you can pop them from the driver's seat without turning - thats when they get pissy.

Trust me with this.. We have a vacation home down in the mountain side of the state and have had to go through this several times over the years. ....not all in part for actual violations, some were check points and just BS sessions at a gas station. Ya let them know as soon as they are in audible/vocal range.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    We have been vacationing in Nc for years and last summer I just tired of the speculation and asked the 1st officer I came across what "must notify" meant. He says to me that as long you tell me about it pretty much right away, and that means before I ask you for your liscence and registration. So I say basically once you get to the window and say how you doing this eveing sir? Do you know why I pulled you over? He said that would be a good time. I don't think you need to scream it out the window as he's walking up to the car.

Dave

But yelling it out the window sounded like so much fun! I was waiting to hear what happened when our friend tried this 'approach'...

Although I would feel bad if the leo shot himself in the foot. That must be a TON of paperwork to fill out... not to mention having to come back to work the first day back from paid leave with that monkey on his back! Kind of reminds me of a fellow from our neck of the woods... (who I hope has made a complete recovery)

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/general-2...e-officer.html

(Wayne County)

Is your son graduating from boot @ Parris Island? Or is he stationed down the road @ the MCAS? Definitely leave the gun @ your hotel etc. if you plan on going on a military base. That wouldn't be good @ all lol.

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast