Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Galco holster...Help!

I'm new here, great place! Anyways, I have a S&W SD40 riding in a Galco Lvl 1 thumbreak leather holster(gift from LEO friend). It's incredibly comfortable, just too low and destroys my leather belts. I'm looking for ideas on a good paddle back or something similar. Possibly something that can be purchased locally? Thanks to all for your help
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Galco holster...Help!

The Blackhawk SERPA is a decent option as far as paddle holsters go. You should definately be able to buy one in a local gun store as well. Personally, I don't dig paddle holsters. I reccommend that you check out Crossbreed and Comptac holsters, as they are adjustable for both cant and ride height/depth.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Su...me,ProductName

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info...roducts_id=102

You'll have to wait a couple days for the Comptac, and probably a month or so for the Crossbreed though.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Ok, the SERPA holster isn't worth a pile of Dog crap. Never has been, never will be. Please stop promoting an accident waiting to happen holster!!!!

The first issue you bring up is how the holster rides on your body? The second is belts.

1) What exactly besides riding low does the holster do that irritates you?

2) Regular dress belts are not designed, made, or manufactured to carry guns. They are designed to look cool, look good, and maybe even hold up your pants. First, before ditching the holster, as Galco is one of the best manufacturer's on the market, buy a quality belt designed and made for carrying guns.

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...endations.html

Above is posted a thread started a couple days ago. Please look through it.

Just my 02,

CL
    Last edited by customloaded; January 11th, 2012 at 08:42 PM.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Ok, the SERPA holster isn't worth a pile of Dog crap. Never has been, never will be. Please stop promoting an accident waiting to happen holster!!!!CL
    In your opinion. There are better options out there, but I disagree that it's an "accident waiting to happen" holster. Do you draw with your finger on the trigger with a Safariland as well?
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Ok, the SERPA holster isn't worth a pile of Dog crap. Never has been, never will be. Please stop promoting an accident waiting to happen holster!!!!CL
    I have heard rumors about this holster failing. I already had one for a year or so and decided to keep it. I can be kinda rough on things.

I have the holster for the middle sized glock, but routinely carry a g31(longer) or a g17L(way longer) and let them hang out. I have literally jumped into my office chair catching the muzzle of these longer guns on the armrest driving the gun against the release catch and then driving the whole lot up into my ribcage.

I have done this untold dozens of times and never broke the holster. So I'm sold on its strength. As a matter of fact, i realized two days ago that the screws that secure the holster to the belt portion were backed out nearly 3 full turns! That must have surely added to the stress on the mount.

I'm not looking for a challenge or heated debate, just want to even the field a bit.
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Beaver County)

The only other downside to my Galco is that it's designed for use with a tac-lite, making it that much longer and wider. A light was supplied with the gun, but its unlikely I will use it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    I have heard rumors about this holster failing. I already had one for a year or so and decided to keep it. I can be kinda rough on things.

I have the holster for the middle sized glock, but routinely carry a g31(longer) or a g17L(way longer) and let them hang out. I have literally jumped into my office chair catching the muzzle of these longer guns on the armrest driving the gun against the release catch and then driving the whole lot up into my ribcage.

I have done this untold dozens of times and never broke the holster. So I'm sold on its strength. As a matter of fact, i realized two days ago that the screws that secure the holster to the belt portion were backed out nearly 3 full turns! That must have surely added to the stress on the mount.

I'm not looking for a challenge or heated debate, just want to even the field a bit.
    The Serpa works OK with my HK, but if I try to use the one I bought for my SIG 226, if I bump into a door frame-the magazine comes flying out. Hardly a desirable characteristic on a carry weapon.
    Last edited by inspector710; January 10th, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
    NRA Life Member-NRA Range Safety Officer

(Lawrence County)

I disagree with custom loaded on one point.

The Blackhawk serpa is a fine holster. I've owned two now. Their customer service is spot on, (they sent out replacement parts within two days without any questions.) and the holster works flawlessly.

Two things on the blackhawk though. Check your equipment daily for fatigue and loose screws. Two of the three screws that hold the paddle to the holster backed out of mine a good three turns as well.... secondly, the paddle was fatigued to the point where if it were worn one more time in the three years I wore it, it would have broken.

First serpa was for the Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm, second and most currrent is my 1911 full size. I've owned the second one about a year now with no problems.

I agree with customloaded on one topic though. Your belt. There are gun belts out there. BUY ONE. Regular belts do not have the added strength gun belts are fabricated with to support a gun. They are there to keep your pants up and look semi stylish while doing so. Buy a purpose built belt. 5.11 has a great lineup of belts if you like the tactical look. I believe they also sell a couple "dress" gun belts.
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Beaver County)

Thanks to all for the great ideas. I have reached out to some friends to try different holsters. I have a 5.11 belt, just avoided it due to comfort. Have seen the error in my ways, the belt definitely cleared up the low ride issue. Y'all are a wealth of knowledge here, keep it coming! Thanks again