Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Did you have to "jump through extra hoops" for your LTCF?

In another thread the question of a "police check card" as a requirement to get a LTCF came up ...again. This is in Montgomery County.

We've seen that some other counties also make you go through extra steps also.

I thought it might be interesting to have in one thread, all the counties that make you fill out cards, forms, etc in addition to the official LTCF application required by the Uniform Firearms Act*.

Please list the county and the extra forms and/or procedures that you have encountered.

* § 6109. Licenses.

(c) Form of application and content.--The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the
    Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police.

One of the following reasons for obtaining a firearm license shall be set forth in the application: self-defense, employment, hunting and fishing, target shooting, gun collecting or another proper reason.

The application form shall be dated and signed by the applicant and shall contain the following statement:
    I have never been convicted of a crime that prohibits me from possessing or acquiring a firearm under Federal or State law. I am of sound mind and have never been committed to a mental institution. I hereby certify that the statements contained herein are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. I understand that, if I knowingly make any false statements herein, I am subject to penalties prescribed by law. I authorize the
    sheriff, or his designee, or, in the case of first class cities, the chief or head of the police department, or his designee, to inspect only those records or documents relevant to information required for this application. If I am issued a license and knowingly become ineligible to legally possess or acquire firearms, I will promptly notify the sheriff of the county in which I reside or, if I reside in a city of the first class, the chief of police of that city.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Did you have to "jump through extra hoops" for your LTCF?

Monroe County:

1) Copy of Local Tax return;

2) References within County.

(Jefferson County)

Nope, other than making conversation with Deputy(now current Sheriff) while waiting for PICS operator to get off her ass.
    Last edited by knight0334; December 17th, 2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: typo
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Chester County - quick, courteous and friendly. Absolutely nothing beyond the state form though it noted that references 'should' be county residents.

I used out of state refs and they said 'no problem'. Never contacted refs.

(Montgomery County)

As one of those who had to go through the "hoop" of Montgomery county, it wasn't bad at all. From picking up the paperwork to getting a picture taken it was a week.

I'm actually glad it took a week, and here is why. For me it's the same reason I participate here, or take saftey courses. It shows I took the extra effort to be a responsible firearm owner. So God forbid I ever have to exercise that right, I have the documentation of that effort.

Well I did have to be careful that I didn't dribble juice from my sausage sam.over the desk while I was waiting, but I didn't find it too burdensome.

Edit:
    Monroe county sucks. I had no idea the extra's were bs until I moved to Mckean.
    FUCK BIDEN

I am in Montgomery County...

I had to fill out one form and drop it off at the State Police Barracks. I am now waiting two weeks per the Sheriff's office's instructions for that form to make it back to the courthouse in the DMZ. I can then bring a second form to the courthouse to have my LTCF issued.

(Lancaster County)

Lancaster County:

1) Local police check (seperate form)

2) 2 References

3) Currently a 4-6 week wait.

(Allegheny County)

Nothing extra in Allegheny county, it's actually very convenient. I downloaded the pdf, filled it out, saved and emailed it back to them with a copy of my drivers license and hunting license. Got my yellow card 2 weeks later. The only pain was they made me fill out the form again when I went to get my picture card because when they printed it, it was on 2 sheets and they need 1 sheet printed on front and back.

(Chester County)

in chesco i just dropped off my form and showed him my pa DL, he took my pic and told me to expect it in the mail in a week. and it did, no refs were contacted, work wasnt contacted etc.
    Last edited by c.sander; December 17th, 2008 at 09:00 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast