Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Post Back up carry guns (BUGs)

I am feeling the need to get a back up carry gun but I am torn between getting a wheel gun or a pistol. Revolvers are far less prone to malfunctions than pistols, and they are available in magnum calibers. On the other hand, pistols carry more shots.

Sometimes I use my XD45 compact as a back up gun but it's weight makes it a bit unpractical for back up carry. So I am thinking about getting either a .357 snub nose, or a Glock 27. In a way carrying the Glock 27 would be ideal because I can use my G35 mags in it, and I carry the G35 often. I am also thinking about using a G23 in a back up role. The Ruger SR9 and SR9C appear to be good candidates but I have fired either one yet. So my question is, In your opinion, what would be a good choice for a back up gun? And what carry positions are ideal for BUGs, ankle, small of the back, pocket, etc.

Default Re: Back up carry guns (BUGs)

It's gonna boil down to your personal preference, that being said, mine is a Kahr PM9 in a Smart Carry.

IMHO...I would avoid small of the back carry for any firearm. Too risky if you would fall on your back... injury to spinal cord. You don't want a heavy piece of metal jammed into your back

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    IMHO...I would avoid small of the back carry for any firearm. Too risky if you would fall on your back... injury to spinal cord. You don't want a heavy piece of metal jammed into your back
    I agree. That's another reason I stopped carrying my XD45 like that. I don't want to even think about what would happen if I was rear ended in my car while I was carrying it.

You are basically ruling out a semi. There are a few super light snub nose .38's that are good, or the .357. Unless you are a LEO, do you really need a backup gun? Get a good ammo that is not known for failures, dehorn the pistol you have so it is less prone to failures (or let a smith do it), and just carry a spare mag. I don't worry about my carry pistol. It is tested and runs like a top. If I carried a BUG, it would go inside the waistband, right in the small of my back.

(Allegheny County)

It's all in what you would be comfortable with (except the SOB carry as was covered).

Here are the same old pictures I always post on these BUG threAds (sorry to those who have to look at them repeatedly).

I personally like a thinner single stack 9mm for backup. My choice was a Kahr P9 Covert which I ankle carry

pocket carry

and sometimes IWB carry.

I liked the P9. It has a 3 1/2" bbl and a grip as short as the PM9 which makes concealment easier for me. I carry 2 spare 7 round mags in my front pocket with no discomfort.

Kind of a bad pic on size comparison between my G23 (primary) and the Covert BUG

Revolvers all have those BRT's which seem to stick out too much IMO but try a few different guns and good luck on your choice.
    One more thing. If you choose to carry a Bug, practice presentations with it AND shoot it. Small frame guns are not as easy to practice with (shorter sight length,lighter/more felt recoil).

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    (snip)

Revolvers all have those BRT's which seem to stick out too much IMO...

Big Round Things?

Gotcha. I never knew the correct terminology for those things.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Big Round Things?

Gotcha. I never knew the correct terminology for those things.

lol..........

Revolvers are less prone to malfunctions? That's hardly the case with a reputable gun these days. There's stuff that can go wrong with them just like any other gun.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by defender2000 View Post
    I agree. That's another reason I stopped carrying my XD45 like that. I don't want to even think about what would happen if I was rear ended in my car while I was carrying it.
    That soft thing called your seat would probably cushion you.

(Delaware County)

I had zero problems concealing a glock 26 in a Galco ankle glove.

Ankle carry is a good option for a BUG if you do a lot of driving as it is very easy to access from a seated position.

Only negative is when you put on shorts in the summer you loose your BUG spot and one leg will look bigger from the ankle weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast