Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Started Trap -Can't Keep My Head Down

Started trap shooting. Never was a wingshooter, but thought that I would do better than I am. I'm shooting a field gun - a 870 w/ a 21" barrel & screw in chokes. For the 16 yd. trap I'm shooting a modified choke.

Anyway, I'm having a problem in picking my head up. From what others tell me, I yank my head up the very instant that I pull the trigger. If I pull the trigger before the head goes up I get a break, if not, then I shoot high. I keep telling myself to keep my cheek glued to the stock, but can't seem to do it. I about ready to put some two sided tape onto the stock. Anybody have advice for me short of the two sided tape?

Default Re: Started Trap -Can't Keep My Head Down

Put some form of pad on the stock. Just something to feel and think about. It may help.

(Jefferson County)

My dad helped me with flinching when I was young by putting a spent cartridge in the gun without letting me know where it was. I kept telling him I wasn't flinching, but boy that's hard to tell someone when you flinch hard and there is no bang.

Know that the harder you press your cheek onto the stock, the less it will hurt; just like shooting any long gun, press it into your shoulder hard so it doesn't hurt. If it doesn't help, some sort of padding may. Nothing much, 1/2" of rubber padding can make a huge difference in recoil.

Maybe an anchor point will help. Tape a bottle cap, (Or something like that) to your stock where your cheek rests & concentrate on keeping your cheek in contact with it when you shoot.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: Started Trap -Can't Keep My Head Down

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    Maybe an anchor point will help. Tape a bottle cap, (Or something like that) to your stock where your cheek rests & concentrate on keeping your cheek in contact with it when you shoot.
    Sharp side out, toward the skin? You sir, are a sadist!!

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by AxiTech View Post
    Sharp side out, toward the skin? You sir, are a sadist!!
    Aw, come onnnnn.... The object of all this is to get his attention, isn't it? That would do it. ... Yeah!

However, I think that remedey would make him want to keep his cheek off the stock, instead. It is rumored that super-glue has an application in this situation, though I, personally, have never tried it.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by AxiTech View Post
    You sir, are a sadist!!
    Well yeah, but, but, but.........
    I did add "Or something like that."
    I had just opened a Lager & thought something the size of a bottle cap would be about right- large enough to know it's there, but not too large to interfere with pointing the gun.

MMH,
    Forget the 2 sided tape. Get some stick-on velcro. Stick one side to the stock & the other to your cheek.

Seriously though. I think some kind of anchor point might help your problem.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Anybody have advice for me short of the two sided tape?
    Velcro and a 30-32" shotgun with a proper bead...

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    Velcro and a 30-32" shotgun with a proper bead...
    That's just the ticket, I can see it now. A big 6" square patch of Velcro-hooks glued on the stock, and properly set into his beard.

No, wait. It is spelling, you said proper "BEAD", didn't you.

Nonetheless, it would be an interesting concept for keeping a firm "cheek-weld" - - no! Wait! That raises another image - he couldn't shoot trap in that position, and I don't want to go there. Best quit while I'm ahead.

FLASH

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Started trap shooting. Never was a wingshooter, but thought that I would do better than I am. I'm shooting a field gun - a 870 w/ a 21" barrel & screw in chokes. For the 16 yd. trap I'm shooting a modified choke.

Anyway, I'm having a problem in picking my head up. From what others tell me, I yank my head up the very instant that I pull the trigger. If I pull the trigger before the head goes up I get a break, if not, then I shoot high. I keep telling myself to keep my cheek glued to the stock, but can't seem to do it. I about ready to put some two sided tape onto the stock. Anybody have advice for me short of the two sided tape?

Seriously, MMH, try shooting without a cap or hat on. Yes, bareheaded. Nothing above your line of sight to distract you or to interfere with your view at all.

If you wear shooting glasses, get a pair of the really big ones that allow you a lot of peripheral view. If you normally wear glasses, pull them up close and high. Get stuff out of your field of view, and it can help relieve the tendency to raise your head to see.

The greatest key is to concentrate on follow through -- with the gunbarrel as if you were going to take another shot. Continue to "AIM", even though you have fired and broken the bird. Hold the sight-picture, right through the particles of broken clay.

Flash

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast