Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default AR15 First time Buyer Suggestions

Ok I do not know anything about AR15s but I think we would like one to add to our other guns. I cannot handle anything big and heavy as I am a not too strong female but my husband is big and strong so...something with an adjustable stock?

I was suggested Rock River as a decent good AR15 with a good trigger compared to a high priced Colt. I need to do some research and see some locally but would like some help to start and perhaps some good suggestions as what to look for /stay away from. Good features worth paying a little more for and features that are just showy that aren't needed/overkill for range shooting. We cannot pay for a super high end one but I do believe in paying enough so you get a good piece of reliable and enjoyable equipment.

Thanks for any help!

Oh yeah doesn't AR stand for Armalite? I am confused about this particular gun but they do look very interesting!
    Last edited by Just1more; September 7th, 2011 at 10:59 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: AR15 First time Buyer Suggestions

LOTSA good AR articles on here - some even VERY recent. Best bet is to use the search feature, see what pops up, and do a LOT of reading!

"AR" does mean Armalite Rifle, in fact - they had the ORIGINAL patent.

Welcome aboard!

Default Re: AR15 First time Buyer Suggestions

I'll solve your problem right here & now. I just went through this not too long ago (thanks for your help War Wagon!).

The short answer is buy a Colt SP6920. This basic stock model is around $1000 if you shop around. Compared to a Rock River, a Stag, or any other entry level brand you care to think of, the quality is much better, and the price is only about $200 more. Plus, if you ever have to sell it, someone will be willing to pay near top dollar because it has a pony on it, so you'll get that extra money back.

If you really can't afford the Colt, I've heard good things about the S&W M&P 15 Sport for around $600; just be aware that it's lacking the dust cover and the forward assist (not that you probably need those, but I like having everything there just because).

I probably wouldn't gamble on anything else.

Now your homework is to read about the 'Chart' and understand why the Colt 6920 is the best choice for the money right now.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    Ok I do not know anything about AR15s but I think we would like one to add to our handguns. I cannot handle anything big and heavy as I am a not too strong female but my husband is big and strong so...something with an adjustable stock?
    Don't be intimidated about the size of the weapon as it can be manageable even for a small frame person. It is all about the form.

One thing that makes a huge difference in recoil management is the addition of a compensator. She runs a PWS SM556 on her rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post

"AR" does mean Armalite Rifle, in fact - they had the ORIGINAL patent.
    Actually, I think I've read that Armalite also used the AR designation with a shotgun (the AR-17), so AR = Armalite is probably the correct meaning (or maybe they just never bothered to come up with a different two letter prefix).

(Allegheny County)

The "Chart" wow what is all that??? I guess i need to do a LOT more homework. I have always wanted a Colt - perhaps I should look at one. Re a compensator - (sorry but I am not a knowledgeable gun person...yet) is this something you add to an AR15? Does the Colt come with it or can it be put on? reasonably?

Will continue reading archived material for more info also. Thanks. I forgot to add. This will not only be a range gun but if i shoot it well, a self defense home gun also.

I like Yorlik's post, but get accused of "drinking the Colt Kool-Aid" quite a bit. If you and your husband are looking for a gun that will be taken to the range from time to time, or even kept handy for home defense, just about ANY of the major manufacturers are going to be fine. Colt, Armalite, Rock River, Bushmaster etc.....Don't throw a hissy fit over staked gas keys and castle nuts. (the process or lack there of on certain rifles has been debated ad nauseum on many a gun forum)
    Jules

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    Re a compensator - (sorry but I am not a knowledgeable gun person...yet) is this something you add to an AR15? Does the Colt come with it or can it be put on? reasonably?
    A compensator goes on the muzzle end of the barrel. If the rifle comes with a removable A2 flash hider, you just simply wrap the flash hider with a towel and get a wrench to twist it off. It is literally that simple. Might require some elbow grease though.

Correction to my previous post, the compensator is model KAC556 and not SM556: http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/v...8&idcategory=6

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by y0rlik View Post
    I'll solve your problem right here & now. I just went through this not too long ago (thanks for your help War Wagon!).

The short answer is buy a Colt SP6920. This basic stock model is around $1000 if you shop around. Compared to a Rock River, a Stag, or any other entry level brand you care to think of, the quality is much better, and the price is only about $200 more. Plus, if you ever have to sell it, someone will be willing to pay near top dollar because it has a pony on it, so you'll get that extra money back.
    Hard to argue with this advice. Colt, Daniel Defense, and BCM are the Big Three right now - Noveske and LMT are great as well, and the latest S&W ARs seem pretty good.

(Delaware County)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast