Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: My First Gun

(Erie County)

Default My First Gun

Hi All,

I recently purchased my first pistol. I did a lot of research, comparisons, and talked to many people, in the end -- I went with a Ruger SR9 (9mm).

I got it primarily for self defense, but also for some target shooting from time-to-time. After the Fort Hood shooting, I was compelled to protect myself and my family.

Thus far, I've put about 200 low-grade, Walmart rounds through it -- with great success. Good grouping, just needs a little sight adjustment to get it on center.

I also applied for my CCW and I am truly thankful for living in a state that respects gun rights. The people at the sheriff's office were very nice and said; "Smile, because you still have the right to own a gun" as they took my picture. ...but, I also found that simple fact somewhat disturbing.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of my new gun:

EDIT: Just wanted to mention that I got it at Bob's Gun Shop in McKean, PA (10 mins south of Erie). Despite what you may have read, perhaps around the web, in other forums, I personally found them to be knowledgeable, honest, and respectful. Decent prices as well. They've gained my current and future business.

Cheers and Merry Christmas,

Chris
    Last edited by glca1; December 24th, 2009 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Added place of purchase

(Pike County)

Default Re: My First Gun

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

I am in a similar situation and am still deciding what to pick up as my 'first,' I will put a little more thought into the ruger now, though I been leaning towards an XD and my brother just picked up an XDm 40 which feels great in my hand.

I should point out. also, that you should refer to your license as a LTCF, as that is just what it is. With the amount of misinformation around among people and even LEOs it is important to know exactly what your rights are and to stand up for them every chance you get.

Congrats on the purchase.

(Erie County)

Thank you for the correction.

I must also add that the SR9 felt really good in my hand, from the first time I picked it up.

It's a solid gun on all accounts.

Nice slim profile for a full-size pistol as well -- which makes it ideal for CC.

Plus, its standard 17 round mag is quite appealing...although you should hope not to need all those rounds, it's definitely nice to know they are there.

There are many other things I liked about the SR9, but alas, I don't have time to do a full review.

My friend has a Springfield XD 9mm, and I've shot it on a few occasions, pretty nice gun. The grip safety mechanism is rather interesting, but not a major selling-point. The XD is certainly a little easier to field strip, however.

Cheers,

Chris

Congrats on the first purchase, but watch out because they tend to multiply quickly. I got my first not too long ago and now have 3 with a 4th coming soon. And it's good to see you did your research and didn't just go out and buy a glock.
    Hopefully your wait for the LTCF isn't too long, and stick around on these forums. You'll learn a lot!

(Chester County)

Congrats on your first sidearm. Thanks for posting pics. Practice, practice, practice. Some formal training is always a good thing to consider as well.

Have fun, stay safe.

(Columbia County)

Congrats! I hope it gives you lots of hassle-free shooting.

Side note - This is PA. It's a LTCF, not a CCW.

(Allegheny County)

Congrats on your first fine firearm. (ooh alliteration!)

I'm thinking about another gun (you were warned - as I was!) and the SR9 is up there on the list because of the narrow grip. I have small hands (CW9 fits all my fingers) and the really thick grips on some guns just don't work for me.

Think about some formal training in the new year.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

Congrats to a fellow firearms noob. Have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    Congrats on the first purchase, but watch out because they tend to multiply quickly. I got my first not too long ago and now have 3 with a 4th coming soon. And it's good to see you did your research and didn't just go out and buy a glock.
    Hopefully your wait for the LTCF isn't too long, and stick around on these forums. You'll learn a lot!
    Anything wrong with buying a glock?, because if that had been his decision Im sure his research would've been a quick one, lol.

Anything wrong with buying a glock?, because if that had been his decision Im sure his research would've been a quick one, lol.
    I meant that as a joke, as I am not a GLOCK fan, but my point was that he at least did some research and didn't just go out and buy a brand he had heard mentioned over and over in movies and on television without ever having actually felt one.