Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: High first shot

(Clinton County)

Default High first shot

For rookie shooters, if you are going hunting or shooting for score, remember the 1st shot out of a clean barrel will almost always go high. In my high power rifles it is usually about 3 inches at 200 yards,not a lot but enough to cause trouble. With CF rifles usually 1 shot will clear up the problem and with .22 rifles it usually takes about 3 or 4 shots to do it,for the rifles I've owned anyway.

(Cambria County)

Default Re: High first shot

What you're referring to is the Cold Bore shot. Note that your CBS may be high for your rifle but it varies from rifle to rifle. It could shoot an inch low on a different rifle. Additionally, you have clean bore shots. You should never go out with a clean bore as your first five to 10 rounds will not be consistent to the zero you have on the rifle. A good idea would be to clean your rifle before the season starts, shoot five "foulers" to reline the bore with copper from the jackets, check your zero, and then do no further cleaning until the season is over other than a wet patch of oil and then a dry patch after that. If you fire five to ten "fouling" shots after a good cleaning your zero will settle down again, but your cold bore shot may always be a little off. As long as it's consistently off in the same place you can adjust for your first shot. On my Sako TRG22 it's approximately 1/2 inch to the 6 o'clock position at 100 yds...and then subsequent shots are at point of aim. This means for a 500 yd shot there is little I can do on my CBS. I cannot make the adjustment on my scope since I have a 1 MOA elevation knob. 1/2" at 100yds is 2.5" at 500yds. The amount is so small it does not make a difference in my rifle, but it could in someone elses. With most deer in pa being shot at under 100 yds. you can pretty much ignore CBS. Good to mention though as most people don't even know about cold bore shot!

CMS
    Last edited by cms81586; September 13th, 2008 at 04:40 PM.

my first shot out of my state arms rebel is always a flier. i use the cheap ammo for the first two or three rounds then the good stuff, also when i clean the barrel i get alot of fliers, so cleaning is minimal..

(Cambria County)

Don't be afraid to clean but just realize that your first few shots out of the clean barrel will have some fliers until the barrel settles down. I "clean" my rifle every 200 rnds or so but always at a minimum run a wet patch down the bore for rust prevention.

CMS

(Clinton County)

Most people over clean their rifles, especially .22s which I only clean the bore when they start shootng poorly or get rain in the bbl.

I have a Rem 541-s I bought in 73 and bet I've only cleaned the bore 8-10 times and it shoots better than it did 35 years ago and I used to shoot it a LOT. The only problem I've had with it is the bolt stop, I"ve replaced it twice but must have 75,000 rounds through it, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Montell C. Williams View Post
    Most people over clean their rifles, especially .22s which I only clean the bore when they start shootng poorly or get rain in the bbl.

I have a Rem 541-s I bought in 73 and bet I've only cleaned the bore 8-10 times and it shoots better than it did 35 years ago and I used to shoot it a LOT. The only problem I've had with it is the bolt stop, I"ve replaced it twice but must have 75,000 rounds through it, at least.
    montell, i think your right about over cleaning the barrel. the bullet wont seat right. its kind of like stripping down the semi auto pistol every time you shoot it
    you dont gain any accuracy doing that. parts need to fall into place and not be disturbed..

(Jefferson County)

I only shoot one shot, no need for any others..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I only shoot one shot, no need for any others..
    carlos, is that you?

As others have mentioned, there is a difference even in clean cold bore shots, and dirty cold bore shots. When you have thoroughly cleaned your barrel, it's not about the barrel "settling down" but getting it fouled back in. In factory barrels, because the bore is pretty rough and ragged, etc, there are lots of places where you have a slight build up of copper or carbon fouling that smooths things out and evens up the pressure. When you remove all of this, it takes a while to get it all back in and shooting "consistently" the way you have normally seen it shoot. There is a huge thread on snipers hide about cold bore shots vs cold mind. The thinking is that sometimes the cold bore is maybe in your head. There was alot of shooters that did a drill before they fired, they dry fired and focused like they had already shot some rounds. For over half of the shooters, their "dirty cold bore" shot didn't deviate from the rest of the group, others still swore it happened. I don't know, I can see how in some rifles it would definately occur or be more pronounced. With others I can see how it might just be that because it's the first round you send down range, you're not quite fully in the zone and ready to do what you're supposed to. Either way, it's an interesting phenomenon and something that should be considered. There will ALWAYS be a differnce in the Clean Cold Bore and Dirty Cold Bore shot, always; typically it will be more pronounced in factory barrels.