Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Unhappy Searched all know headstamp sites...

...and have come up empty! I am hoping someone here can help me ID some 7.62x39 I have. The supplier claims it is Egyptian surplus...but there are NO Arabic characters anywhere on the round or on the box, EVERYTHING is in English. The information I DID find confirms the the initials A.R. E. stand for Arab Republic of Egypt...but ALL of the headstamps pictured with that confirmation are in Arabic script, not English as on the ammo I have.

Round:
    Brass case, copper wash steel FMJ (lead core?), Berdan primer.

Headstamp:
    A.R. E. 94 7.62x39

Box:
    Label wraps completely around the box and is printed with the following:

7.62 X 39 MM

50 ROUNDS

NON CORROSIVE (on a red stripe)

LOT NO. 09 94 or 13 94

Then stamped with blue ink
    SHELF LIFE
    10 YEARS
    inside a rectangle
    Last edited by Blackthorn370; March 12th, 2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Clarification
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7035&dateline=1238541  027

(York County)

Default Re: Can some help to ID some 7.62x39

I thought this Egyptian 7.62x39 had Arabic writing on it, but I'm not sure. It does sound like it's Egyptian, as I believe A.R.E. = Arab Republic of Egypt.

Got any pics? Have you shot any? Is it really non-corrosive (sometimes dealers and such play the non & "mildly" corrosive game )

(Pike County)

Default Re: Can some help to ID some 7.62x39

Yes, I shot 50 rounds out of three different guns yesterday...stuff is hot and pretty darn accurate! The 3 guns used AK WASR-10, Saiga, SKS Sporter (AK Mag, 16" barrel). I couldn't believe that I was hearing impacts on steel plates I was shooting at with the SKS - at 200 YARDS! No hang-fires, FTF, or FTE.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated @ 17:55 hours

Here some pictures of the ammo. The first two in the series are the box and headstamp...hopefully that will help ID it.

On a side note, one set of rounds showed signs of looks like over-pressure at the neck. Though, I didn't see it until I picked up the brass so I don't know which rifle it was. (Those are the second two in the series) Any thoughts there would be appreciated also!

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by weaselchew View Post
    I thought this Egyptian 7.62x39 had Arabic writing on it, but I'm not sure. It does sound like it's Egyptian, as I believe A.R.E. = Arab Republic of Egypt.

Got any pics? Have you shot any? Is it really non-corrosive (sometimes dealers and such play the non & "mildly" corrosive game )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Blackthorn370; March 12th, 2009 at 06:00 PM.

Default Re: Searched all know headstamp sites...

Hello, where did you find a range at 200 yds around Pottstown?

(York County)

The best source that I know of is at work right now. I hope to have an answer for you in the morning.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    Hello, where did you find a range at 200 yds around Pottstown?
    Boyertown R&G Club...I just joined, haven't been to a meeting yet but the range is great the few people/officers I've talked too seem to be good people. The two guys who told me about it are great people...

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Don T. View Post
    The best source that I know of is at work right now. I hope to have an answer for you in the morning.
    That's great! Thanks!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn370 View Post
    ...and have come up empty! I am hoping someone here can help me ID some 7.62x39 I have. The supplier claims it is Egyptian surplus...but there are NO Arabic characters anywhere on the round or on the box, EVERYTHING is in English. The information I DID find confirms the the initials A.R. E. stand for Arab Republic of Egypt...but ALL of the headstamps pictured with that confirmation are in Arabic script, not English as on the ammo I have.

Round:
    Brass case, copper wash steel FMJ (lead core?), Berdan primer.

Headstamp:
    A.R. E. 94 7.62x39

Box:
    Label wraps completely around the box and is printed with the following:

7.62 X 39 MM

50 ROUNDS

NON CORROSIVE (on a red stripe)

LOT NO. 09 94 or 13 94

Then stamped with blue ink
    SHELF LIFE
    10 YEARS
    inside a rectangle
    I'm sorry I took so long, I FINALLY managed to get hold of the guy! He said that it's Egyptian ammo, possibly loaded in Syria. The reason was unknown. The quality is EXTREMELY poor on them. He suggested that if you're going to use them, you should pull the bullets, dump the powder, and after weighing the bullets, reload with your own powder to the proper specs. They're much too hot now.

He didn't like the looks of the neck, and suggested that you get the gun to a smith to have the chamber & headspace checked.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Don T. View Post
    I'm sorry I took so long, I FINALLY managed to get hold of the guy! He said that it's Egyptian ammo, possibly loaded in Syria. The reason was unknown. The quality is EXTREMELY poor on them. He suggested that if you're going to use them, you should pull the bullets, dump the powder, and after weighing the bullets, reload with your own powder to the proper specs. They're much too hot now.

He didn't like the looks of the neck, and suggested that you get the gun to a smith to have the chamber & headspace checked.
    Yea, that sure looked like a sign of over-pressure to me when I saw them. Between the bulged neck and the slightly cratered primer. Now I just need to go back out to the range to find the gun that happened in. I have a feeling it was the Saiga, but I'll find out for sure tomrrow or Tuesday.

I knew the ammo was hot...just from the kick when I shot it. When your friend said the quality was extremely poor, what exactly did ne mean. Was he just talking about how hot the the load is or is aware of additional issues. I'd like to know everything I can about it because I HAD been planning to sell it. If it's going to be a major problem for me, I'll cancel my current order and sent back what I already have.

Thanks for getting back to me!

(York County)

I've got him on the phone now. He's wondering where you got it. He would like to get some in his hand to look at it in 3-D. The fact that the recoil is that violent in a semi concerns him. Also, the 10 year shelf life is odd. He's wondering about the powder that's being used. At this point, I think he wants to do some disassembly and see what they're actually made of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast