Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default asked if I was a police officer in Cabela's

Went to Cabela's after work yesterday. Was dressed in dress pants dress shirt and Tie. As I was looking at ammo the stock guy came up to me and says,"are you a police officer?" I ask him why, and he tells me that Cabela's has a policy that any police officer that comes in open carrying has to check his gun with them up in the front and they will put it in the safe. I told him that I have never heard of anything like that and I tell the guy that he needs to get someone in management to tell me this. I am still walking around by the gun counter and 10 minutes goes by and he comes back to me and says that what he had heard was old and they have had updated meetings that he has not been in and I could continue open carrying. I told him that it is crazy that I could be in the gun section of Cabela's looking at ammo and have someone from the company try to tell me that I have to give up my right. He just looked at me like ok I get it I was an idiot. Left there with not buying a thing and the situation makes me want to use up my gift cards and be finished with them.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: asked if I was a police officer in Cabela's

An employee had it wrong and went to check, and was corrected.
    I see no problem with this.

Second, don't take this the wrong way, but you don't have the "right" to carry on private property. Just a pet peeve of mine. If someone wants you to not carry on their property, oblige them by not returning.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    If someone wants you to not carry on their property, oblige them by not returning.
    And be sure manager/owner/corporate know why you're not returning

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ddefazio View Post
    Went to Cabela's after work yesterday. Was dressed in dress pants dress shirt and Tie. As I was looking at ammo the stock guy came up to me and says,"are you a police officer?" I ask him why, and he tells me that Cabela's has a policy that any police officer that comes in open carrying has to check his gun with them up in the front and they will put it in the safe. I told him that I have never heard of anything like that and I tell the guy that he needs to get someone in management to tell me this. I am still walking around by the gun counter and 10 minutes goes by and he comes back to me and says that what he had heard was old and they have had updated meetings that he has not been in and I could continue open carrying. I told him that it is crazy that I could be in the gun section of Cabela's looking at ammo and have someone from the company try to tell me that I have to give up my right. He just looked at me like ok I get it I was an idiot. Left there with not buying a thing and the situation makes me want to use up my gift cards and be finished with them.

*Emphasis is mine.

Yes, but you might want to reconsider placing too much significance on the misguided notions of a "lowly underling". Thanks to you (and his supervisors) he got an education today. Furthermore, Cabela's policy as we understand it is still pro 2A.

Just my .02

rep to you for this.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Sounds to me like he was "fed" something... you called him on it... he looked into it... and determined what you were doing was legit. Why would you be done with them? You perhaps paved the way for future carrying customers. I would be happy that they recognized my right and be a proud customer. NO, I do not work for them. It just seems a little extreme that you don't want to give them any more business because an employee was trying to do his job.

You should look at the sign posted on Cabelas door. They welcome OC and CC. If the employee was wrong, let it go. I can't see how Cabelas could get any nicer about it.
    We've been monitoring him on the e-mail for a while. --York PD Lt. Gene Fells

(Lancaster County)

I too find it surprising that someone in Cabela's of all places would not be up to date on current policies involving guns.

With that being said, I've never heard of Cabela's having a record of violating anyone's rights before. Much like any large store, there is bound to be an employee or two who are a little slow on these things.

It sounds like he was corrected, educated, and was then apologetic after making an error. He could have been recently transferred from another store where laws are different, or could just be new and have his head flooded with all the dozens of manuals and training videos they surely make people watch--some of which will be out of date.

Unfortunately, we're still not to the point as a society where everyone is properly educated on gun rights and laws. It shouldn't be that way, everyone should know these things, but they sadly do not.

I wouldn't let this incident color your opinion of Cabela's as a whole, it sounds like the guy made a legitimate mistake and then corrected it. He's only human.

Last edited by mikey; February 27th, 2010 at 01:07 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sdsorrentino View Post
    You should look at the sign posted on Cabelas door. They welcome OC and CC. If the employee was wrong, let it go. I can't see how Cabelas could get any nicer about it.
    On my way out I checked the doors and unless I am blind I did not see anything for or against carrying.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ddefazio View Post
    Left there with not buying a thing and the situation makes me want to use up my gift cards and be finished with them.
    I have a better idea. If I were you, I wouldn't spend another minute in that store! Moreover, I would give away any remaining gift cards that you have to someone less scrupulous than yourself.

Namely me!
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast