Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Where can I get a membership without a long wait?

It seems like most of the clubs around here you end up having to wait 2 months to become a member (having to go through meetings, etc).

I work and go to school full time so I don't have a lot of free time to spend evenings attending a meeting and what not. . I do all of my shooting on the weekends.

Are there any clubs in the area where it's a little easier to sign up, pay the dues, and start shooting? I live in Wernersville.

Thanks
    Dave

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Where can I get a membership without a long wait?

i had the same issue with LPRGC when I lived in Montgomery county, best advice I could give on that is just find a for-profit range. If they only let you do pistol calibers, there's always the state land, or if you want take a little drive to Bucks, there's a good range on farm land called Wicen's (just google the name). I'm sure there's also a for-profit outdoor range out there though too.

(Berks County)

I belong to the Muhlenberg Shooting Association. It's where most of the law enforcement in Berks county go to shoot. Nice range but it only goes out to 100yds. Most of the time when I go I have it to myself. Only $10 for a township resident and $15 for a non res per year. I was ablt to get my card within 3 weeks from sending in my app.

(Berks County)

most ranges only have there meetings once a month and thats when they vote you in. I dont know of any that are fast about it.

(Berks County)

where is the muhl range located and where can i get an application....thanks

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by billy870m9 View Post
    where is the muhl range located and where can i get an application....thanks
    It's on Sofianos rd in muhlenberg. If you go to www.muhlshooting.org you can download an application.

(Berks County)

Oley Valley Fish & Game
    114 Old State Road
    Reading, PA 19606

610-779-1317
    Don Hoffman

Please leave a message. Your call will be returned.

$20 per year dues. 285 members. Must be/become an NRA member to join.

Please come to an event to join or call for more info.

Outdoor pistol & rifle range 25-50 yards.

Outdoor rifle 100 yards.

Balloon Shoots: 9 am, 4th Sunday of the month, October through February (Events for rim fire & center fire)

Sporting Clays: 5 pm till 9 pm each Tuesday, 50 birds under the lights. Also 9 am till 1 pm second and fourth Sunday of each month.

Trap and Skeet: 4 pm till 9 pm Wednesday under the lights.

Triple Threat: March 21, 2008. Entry from 9 am till 1 pm.

M-1 Garand: Shoots beginning in the Spring. Dates to be announced.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post

Are there any clubs in the area where it's a little easier to sign up, pay the dues, and start shooting? I live in Wernersville.
    If you can tough out one meeting, I think the nearest club to you with a "Pit" and 100 / 200 / 300 yard rifle ranges (if that is important) would be the Hamburg Rifle & Pistol Club. They are actually by Shartlesville, not Hamburg as their name implies (so closer to you).

If you can squeeze in the meeting on Wednesday February 13th at 7:00 pm, you would be good to go. I've never been there, but have heard very good things about them.

The Ranges we have are as follows:

• "The Pit" (an informal shooting and plinking area)
    • 25-50 yard "Bullseye" style covered range (complete with benches and motorized targets)
    • 100-200-300 yard Rifle Range (covered with benches)
    • Access to The Shartlesville Archery Trail
    • Trap House (only allowed to be used for cowboy shoots and Shartlesville Matches)
    Alternatively, if you absolutely can't attend even one meeting Ontelaunee Rod And Gun Club can (I believe) be handled entirely through the mail. They have ranges similar to HRPC, but you would have to wait through at least one monthly meeting while you are voted in absentee.

Just about every other club that I am aware of requires either "meeting attendance" or "sponsorship and meeting attendance".

Consider too with Ontelaunee, one drive out there and back will probably consume as much time as attending the meeting at HRPC. Either way, check both of their calendars to see if the weekends you want to shoot will be open. Any pre-scheduled events typically shut down all of the ranges for at least the day of the event.
    Vortex

"The United States is a nation of laws, . . . . badly written and randomly enforced." - generally attributed to Frank Zappa