Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Thumbs down Michaux St. Forest rifle range is closed.

I had decided to extend my 3-day 4th of July weekend into a 4-day weekend and took off this past Monday. I definitely wanted to do some shooting and decided I'd make my way up to the Michaux St. Forest rifle range to shoot a few groups with my dad's Anschutz. I could have driven 5 minutes to the local Waynesboro Fish and Game club, but I decided to make the trip to Chambersburg because I really like this range and it's peaceful seclusion in the mountains.

As I arrived I was delighted to see that I had the whole range to myself. Unfortunately this was waiting for me:

I walked down the trail to the range to find yet another one at the shooting benches. As it turned out they were plastered everywhere.

At first I was a little confused as to why the place was shut down. I saw a caution sign was quite shot up. I thought that maybe the Park management was pissed and was not sure that they wanted to keep the range open with such idiot behavior going on...

It was only when I looked down range that I realized why the place was really closed. HOLY CRAP! What the hell happened to the backstop?

It seems to me that the backstop was on fire at some point. The question is, what would have caused it? Tannerite targets? API rounds?

Turns out the pistol range is still OK and operational. I didn't have any pistols with me except for my Glock 26. I was really looking forward to doing some shooting by this point and had to resist the urge to shoot my carry ammo. Does anyone in the Franklin county area know how long this range has been closed? Is this a recent development? THIS SUCKS!!!

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Michaux St. Forest rifle range is closed.

I hunt deer along that road. Maybe someone shot some tracers into the wood. Who knows, maybe some anti gun people set it on fire.