Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .38 special?

Default .38 special?

Is shooting .38 special out of a wheel gun chambered in .357 bad for your chambers?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: .38 special?

Not that I know of. I do it all the time, so I hope it's not bad. Don't forget, just because the calibers are named differently, i.e. .38 vs .357, they are actually the same diameter. .38 Special is the parent case of a .357 magnum; check it out here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_special
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_magnum
    Anyone I have ever talked to, whether gun store employee or otherwise, has said that .38 is definitely OK to shoot out of .357. Whether or not there is microscopic damage done to a cylinder/bore....I couldn't say 100%. But it sure is fun, lol.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit softly. -Theodore Roosevelt

(Monroe County)

Not a problem in fact probably easier on the gun. That`s all I shoot out of my SP101 357Mag.

(Pike County)

I have fired thousands of .38 specials out of .357's, no problems yet. If you use dirty loads, or if you don't clean the chambers well you can end up with a build up of crud in the chamber at the .38 special case mouth length that can interfear with chambering the longer .357 cartridge. Clean it, no problem.

(Clinton County)

You must clean the chambers after shooting .38spl in a .357 cause pwder residue can make cases of the longer 357 stick in the chambers, also after thousands of rounds there can begas cutting where the .38 case ends and cause difficult extraction.

(Clinton County)

You must clean the chambers after shooting .38spl in a .357 cause pwder residue can make cases of the longer 357 stick in the chambers, also after thousands of rounds there can begas cutting where the .38 case ends and cause difficult extraction. The same as .22 short in a .22 lr chamber.

thanks guys, my only concern is that since the .38 cartrige is shorter than a .357 the gases could cause permanent damage to the chambers, but if that's not the case, then I'm ready to go for many shooting years to come.

(Pike County)

Shoot away, and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by 45 ACP View Post
    thanks guys, my only concern is that since the .38 cartrige is shorter than a .357 the gases could cause permanent damage to the chambers, but if that's not the case, then I'm ready to go for many shooting years to come.
    Supposedly after shooting lots and lots you can get some gas cutting of the chambers that would make .357 cases stick a bit, but I can't imagine how many thousands of rounds that would take. Probably about as many as it would take to start shooting out the chamber throats of a revolver chambered for .38s to begin with. I'll venture a guess that there are many, many more .38s fired out of .357s than there are .357s.

Clean the chambers after each trip and you'll have no problems with crud giving you problems chambering .357s when you want.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    Supposedly after shooting lots and lots you can get some gas cutting of the chambers that would make .357 cases stick a bit, but I can't imagine how many thousands of rounds that would take. Probably about as many as it would take to start shooting out the chamber throats of a revolver chambered for .38s to begin with. I'll venture a guess that there are many, many more .38s fired out of .357s than there are .357s.

Clean the chambers after each trip and you'll have no problems with crud giving you problems chambering .357s when you want.

I have heard of this, and after shooting several rounds of 38 out of 357mag chambered gun, you can infact see that in chambers.

But as long as you clean the chamber after each trip, i really see no issues with it IMO
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast