Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Buying a Field Shotgun: Input Welcomed

It seems like most of the shotgun topics and users on this forum relate to tactical and home defense applications of the shotgun. My question brings the shotgun back to where it started . . . as a hunting tool.

I have a Mossberg Cruiser for home defense.

What I'm looking for now is a 20ga field gun for rabbit and upland bird hunting. I like the lighter weight of a 20ga and with modern loads I hear that you can take turkey and pheasant within the ranges I'll be shooting them.

I'm an intermediate level shooter, but fairly new to hunting.

The autoloaders seem like tools better suited to trap shooting, and side-by-sides don't appeal to me (or should I say their prices scare the bejesus out of me). So, my choices come down to either pump-action, single shot, or o/u.

Can someone with experience talk me out of the single shot? It's the lightest and cheapest way to go by a long shot, and many people have told me that a single shot 20 has put more food on their table than any other gun they own.

The argument I've heard is that you'll be lucky to get one shot off against these evasive buggers, and if you need more than one . . . you're through.

Something in me wants to have that extra shot (o/u) or two (pump), just in case. The aesthetics of a "budget" over/under really appeal to me, and they can still be had in weights under 7 lbs.

I'd appreciate any input.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Buying a Field Shotgun: Input Welcomed

First, most trap shooters frown on autoloaders on the trap fields, because you only shoot one shot at at time, then the next shooter shoots. And they don't like having shells fly in front of them or hitting their guns. The biggest thing with shotguns is fit. It really has to hit what your pointing at, without slight adjustments to get "on target". Really, any shotgun will be fine for hunting if it fits you. The second most important thing is manipulation of the safety. Like on your mossy, its on top of the reciever. So I would recomend a shotty with a similar safey location. Like another mossy. 500. Rem, Savage, Berretta, Benelli have safey's on the trigger guard. Which you may not be familiar with. It really sucks when you get a chance to shoot some game and don't take the safety off because your used to it being on top or on the side whichever the case may be. Getting back to your originall question, talk you out of a single shot shotgun. Easy. When your hunting, say birds, you flush a pheasent and shoot it, it goes down then another takes off, wouldn't it be nice to just pull up and shoot at it, than to be digging in your field jacket for another round? Of course you can be proficient at getting the next round in, but it wouldn't be as fast as having a sxs or pump or auto. That could be said for any game, rabbits, ducks, grouse...So in summary, first is fit, find one that fits you. Then safty location, then it becomes a matter of personal preference.

(Bucks County)

Counsel obtained here and elsewhere steered me away from the single-shot, and so I decided on a over/under from Lanber, the 20ga 2067 to be exact. For the price it seems like a great shotgun that meets all my needs.

Last night I ordered one for $750 shipped and should have it by next weekend. I'll post up about it as I get more experience with it, especially in the fall. I'll throw up some first impressions when I get it out to the range and knock down some clays with it.

Lanber's are nice and you can have two different chokes in it. I like a pump for hunting, Remington 870 or Browning BPS.

(Delaware County)

Cole,
    If you want help with learning how to hit the targets give me a shout.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Bucks County)

Thanks, Chalmitch. I may take you up on that.

(Delaware County)

My Friend uses a Browning Gold Super lite Hunter 20 Ga and he loves it its lite and I have seen him smack pheasants from pretty far away. They are a little pricey but well worth it.