Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windsor, Vermont, Mt Carmel & Elysburg, PA, Vermont

Default Steel Target safety questions

Friends: A shooting range here that opened in October 2012 prohibits shooting steel targets, permits paper targets only. Some of us want to work toward permitting steel targets at this range. What are the main issues to address to use steel targets safely at a 100 yard range ? We have metal fabricators who can make a variety of steel targets. I hope to raise the issue of steel targets at the next meeting of the club that manages the range.Thanks.
    only connect...

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Steel Target safety questions

The club I belong to allows steel for certain calibers. The biggest concern is safety, ricochets. The next would be cost, ranges don't want to spend a lot of money in repairs. These are the concerns that were addressed at my club.

Soberbyker, thanks for the reply. My gunsmith/machinist friend has built a variety of metal targets that he uses elsewhere, mostly .30 caliber group and lower out of military rifles. He's had no problems, he provides the metal himself, repairs damaged steel, fills craters with welding rod. He has offered to build and give steel targets to the range for free.
    How do other safe ranges keep it safe enough from ricochets to permit safe steel target shooting at their ranges? Thanks, Shrubdog.
    only connect...

(Montgomery County)

I think it has a lot to do with placement. You would want them placed such that minimizes ricochets ie not at an angle to the firing line.

If they are placed very close to the ground then you risk shots hitting the ground in front of them and maybe skipping. Paper targets are usually several feet off the ground. Some steel targets are near flush with the ground.

Remington 788: Thanks, now it feels like progress on this issue. I can see how low targets invite ground hits and bullets leaving the range at the incoming angle, especially on frozen ground. I think I may have a lot to discuss at the meeting about the range next Wednesday. S.D.
    only connect...

(Westmoreland County)

The other problem you have at any range is that while some facilities may be meant for rifles/pistols of certain calibers and types of bullets, there are always those members whom don't follow the rules. This is what then causes liability issues as well as damage to the range and facilities. JMO.
    I forgot how much I missed the slang from the 70's and 80's: "Bite me, dig?"

Swamp Fox: Thanks, more good detail for discussion next week. This range is a public range, open to all, permits all calibers including .50 caliber, no full auto (another issue I'm trying to change.) Some outlaws already bring and shoot steel targets in violation of range rules because of lax supervision. I'd like to build and install properly designed and built steel target with accompanying rules for their safe use. This PAFOA Forum is moving me closer to that with good muzzle velocity. S.D.
    only connect...

(Cumberland County)

The kind of steel is pretty important.

You can shoot a plate all day with pistol rounds and not leave more than some scuffed paint, shoot it once with a rifle and basically destroy the plate. If you intend to use rifles you need to be sure the steel is hard enough. You want AR500 steel, maybe as thick as a half inch if it's gonna get a lot of use.

The problem with softer steel is that rifle rounds will crater it, and the craters are a huge liability, because if a round hits one of them there's no telling where it's going to go. Usually your best bet for safety is a hanging or swinging target, on chains or a hinge of some sort.

Another thing you can do to minimize the mess is surround the steel target with something to catch the flying lead and copper fragments. Something like a wood frame covered in a bunch of tires or something. Doesn't have to be fancy, but with rifle rounds it might be a good idea. When a round hits a steel target usually it doesn't just stop. It disintegrates, send tiny little supersonic pieces of shrapnel everywhere. You want to try to contain these pieces.

Shooting steel is tons of fun, long range and up close. It can be stupid dangerous too though, especially if you don't know what you're doing. Eye pro for EVERYONE. I can't tell you how many time I've gotten pieces of lead and jacket in my face shooting pistols at steel at 15-20 yards.
    Last edited by rwb1500; December 12th, 2013 at 10:14 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

RWB 1500, thanks for the note on steel type. I spoke to a shooter on Sunday at the range who works with plasma cutting machines and various metals up here, he said they can fabricate strong steel targets with other metals, too, he said the AR steel was not the only choice. I don't know which is better/safer, just what he said. This info is great, much appreciated, and arriving faster than I expected. Please keep it coming. S.D.
    only connect...

(Chester County)

IANAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast