Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default How to thin down the herd?

I'm not getting any younger and got to talking to the kids {39, 37, 34} and the grand children that were at the Thanksgiving feed. I came to the conclusion that they didn't have much interest in shooting or collecting firearms. So, I guess the time has come to start thinning down the herd. As I don't want to leave the gun headache to the wife or heirs.

Made an appointment with an appraiser to get an up dated idea of the value of each firearm so I can do two things....submit a new appraisal to my insurance company and get an idea where to price the items when I put them up for sale.

Since, I figure I've got maybe another 15 or 20 years left I don't have to rush too much to get this done; I'm going to start a policy of for every "new" addition to the herd I WILL sell two which should thin down the herd slowly but surely. Then in a 15 years I will decide who gets what in the will, Keep my 10mm EDCs, keep the wife's two model 1911's, and sell the rest.

That the plan that will probably turn out to be a failure.

Any ideas on this problem from any of the other old timers??
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Washington County)

Default Re: How to thin down the herd?

Your grandkids can't be that old yet?

I was kind of a late bloomer, I was always vaguely interested in guns but I didn't become obsessed until I was in my second year of college.

My point is if your grand kids are probably not done figuring out who they are and what they want to do in life. Some range trips with grandpa might nudge them in a different direction.

Just my 2 cents.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeSheepDog View Post
    Your grandkids can't be that old yet?

I was kind of a late bloomer, I was always vaguely interested in guns but I didn't become obsessed until I was in my second year of college.

My point is if your grand kids are probably not done figuring out who they are and what they want to do in life. Some range trips with grandpa might nudge them in a different direction.

Just my 2 cents.
    ^This!!! I always went with my family shooting, and was probably the only kid that could zero a rifle at 200 yards at the age of 10, but I wasn't seriously into firearms until a few years ago. Speaking as a grandchild, I would tell you to keep the firearms that are 'near and dear' to you, your grand kids might really cherish them one day.
    Arm The Homeless

(Bucks County)

Or I'll take em off your hands free of charge!

(Allegheny County)

Speaking as someone "half way to dead", I decided recently that my previous pace of "one gun per year" won't get me the stuff I want in time to actually enjoy them all for years to come.

While I've not purchased anything over $500 since last year, I've bought a handful of "what I want" recently in order to pick up the pace.

I don't have any kids or relatives to give these to, so who knows what will happen to what I have down the road.

Getting that stuff in order well ahead of time is a really good idea though.
    I've mentioned it before here, but someone I used to work for fell into several hundred firearms when her father passed away. She hired a "broker" to sell them and ended up being screwed out of almost all of it.
    Very sad situation.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Selling just one gun last year was such an ordeal for me that makes pause real hard every time I reach for my wallet. With all the do's and don'ts in selling firearms, I just as soon avoid it all.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    Selling just one gun last year was such an ordeal for me that makes pause real hard every time I reach for my wallet. With all the do's and don'ts in selling firearms, I just as soon avoid it all.
    Odd. I would equate the purchase/sale of the last several - OK almost all of my long guns to the ease of purchasing a loaf of bread.

Except there's no handshake when I buy bread.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

maybe you can trade the guns for a NFA gun build? how many guns do you have sir?

(Allegheny County)

JM2Centavos and IMHO - seen a daughter get taken like a drunk teen at a Steubenville party when she went to liquidate her late father's pride and joys at prices that only idiots would accept.

Some of those doing the taking of the collection read/post on this very board.

I'm sure they are proud.

Point is; don't put your family in a position where your ghost watches them get burned with low-balls. Get specific values, make very specific entries for guns/person in your will, and then consider selling the rest NOW so as to enjoy the cash NOW.

There isn't shit on your kids birth certificates that say that you MUST live poorly now so that they can sell your guns for pennies on the dollar later. Your kids can buy there own shit later if they ever develop an interest in guns.

NFA is a quagmire entirely if your estate members can't get a CLEO signoff on the F5s and must suddenly have to roll them over to one of the SOT sharks out there. So if you are not in the NFA pool already, and you are that close to your deathbed - don't go swimming.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Berks County)

The state is gonna take em before that. Well if they have thier way that is. Better to start getting political first. We have boat loads more gun owners then we got NRA members.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast