Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Rookie OC

(Allegheny County)

Default Rookie OC

Well this weekend I decided to wash my truck and since I wasn't at work I was going to carry. Seeing that it was warm and I didn't want to wear a cover garment, I OC'd. To make sure I didn't look like a cop, I was wearing jean shorts and a plain grey t-shirt. Went to the local car wash in Robinson on Campbells Run Road, ya know the one where there was a shooting at a couple weeks ago. Anyway pulled in to a stall and went to get change. Walked right past a couple older guys washing thier cars and didn't get any looks or comments. But I still felt like everyone was looking at me even though they weren't. Also went to fill up at the local Get-n-Go. That place was packed and I gotta a couple of funny looks, but no comments. I don't know what I'd say if someone started asking stupid questions. Guess I'm just afraid of someone going nuts over seeing my gun. I still feel so uncomfortable OCing and probably won't do it again for a long while. I still prefer CC, I can do that comfortably anywhere (except at work where it's against corporate policy). No firearms allowed on the property and since I work in East Liberty I'm not parking off the property. Oh well that's another thread.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Rookie OC

I still need to build up my confidence more before i start going the OC route.

(Jefferson County)

A little at a time... sooner or later you'll feel confident about OC'n.. One day you'll have the ballz I have and strap on a peacemaker in a cowboy holster and do your business abouts town.

I dont exactly look like I'm on the uppity-up.. loooong hair, tattoo's, etc.. I do clean up well and have one set of dress clothes that somewhat resemble the PA St. Police's.. (church, court, funeral outfit)
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    A little at a time... sooner or later you'll feel confident about OC'n.. One day you'll have the ballz I have and strap on a peacemaker in a cowboy holster and do your business abouts town.

I dont exactly look like I'm on the uppity-up.. loooong hair, tattoo's, etc.. I do clean up well and have one set of dress clothes that somewhat resemble the PA St. Police's.. (church, court, funeral outfit)
    Are you saying I don't have balls...I don't think CCing or OCing has anything to do with balls. Don't worry I'm not offended, just trying to make a point.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    Are you saying I don't have balls...I don't think CCing or OCing has anything to do with balls. Don't worry I'm not offended, just trying to make a point.
    Your first time resembles mine, a lot of "oh my god, they're looking" and no one really was for the most part.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    lol no... not saying you dont have balls.. no offense meant. My reply may have been more aimed towards SFMarine.

There are some people out there that are quite nervous about OC'n. It takes time to get the nerve up. It doesn't bother me that people look, or dont look.. I do keep my peripheral vision in tune with those who do notice, ya never know who might be a grabber or planning to eliminate those who might be threats to their actions(violence).

Open carrying is the only remaining practice of the Right to Bear. If you don't do it, then it loses its "common place" in society and people become fearful when they do see it practiced. Today people are too desensitized to not seeing a firearm and become uncomfortable. If we would have been carrying in plain sight all the time since this country was founded, the sight of someone not carrying would have caused alarm.
    Last edited by knight0334; September 5th, 2007 at 10:00 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

In the NRA publication "The American Rifleman", under the "Armed Citizen" heading, they state that sometimes the mere presence of a handgun is enough to deter a crime. (MW paraphrasing)
    OC provides the "presence of a handgun".
    Who is to say how many crimes are/have been deterred just by those of us who are willing to OC?
    Just a thought...
    mrwildroot
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post
    Your first time resembles mine, a lot of "oh my god, they're looking" and no one really was for the most part.
    This wasn't my first attempt at OCing, I've done it four or five times before, never comfortably. It's my rookie season at OCing. Still doesn't get easier for me. I've been CCing for years.

(Wayne County)

I just got my permit this week soooo that's why i'm a little hesitant as to whether or not to oc or not. Its day will come don't worry.