Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Day at the range with my dad

My dad recently bought a new browning blr in 308, and we both bought new rifle scopes so we decided to take a ride up to the public range near hazleton on rt 93. He brought is BLR and Winchester 88. I brought my Ruger 77 30-06. And we decided to bring the 2 marlin 336s we have in 35 rem. One of the marlins was my grandfather's from the 50's and the other is my dads. My grandfather's is a straight stock with the original iron sights. The gun was used hard all it's life but looks good for a gun that is 60+ years old. We got to the range and it was cold and windy. We wanted to stretch it out and try to shoot 200 yards but it was just too windy. But got my rifle sighted in at 100 yards and shot a decent 1" or so group off a cheap rest from Walmart. Its the best I've ever shot the rifle so I was happy. We had trouble with the blur getting it sighted in. I felt the trigger was smooth but was really heavy. We were happy for now and figured we'd come back again when it wasn't as windy. Next up were the 35s. I shot my grandfather's since my dad can't see well enough to shoot irons and he shot his with a 4x scope. We had no idea where my grandfather's was going to hit since it was probably 20 years since its been shot. First three shots were off the paper. I made a quick adjustment to the sights and took 2 more shots. To my surprise I had managed a 2 shot group of about .75". The third shot I made a. Sight adjustment and got on target. At 100 yards the front bead was covering the target so to get a group like that I was ecstatic, as was my dad. The other 35 managed a 1.5" 3 shot groul with a lousy 4x scope. We used hornady leverevolution ammo for the first time and were impressed. I also got to sight my 44 mag super blackhawk in and let my dad try it. All in all a great day and made some lasting memories. I also found the deer rifle I'm going to use next season.
    Last edited by hunterdan; January 20th, 2013 at 06:36 PM.