Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default need help badly!!

shot my new sig 229 today and everything started off well, very accurate. Then the slide wouldn't lock back after the last round. I was also getting stovepipes every 2 or 3 rounds. Needless to say I'm not happy about it. I don't know if it's ammo related or what. I was shooting rem umc 115 gr from the bulk 250 pack. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Glock 23, Kahr PM9, Sig Sauer P229, Walther P22, Bushmaster M4A3, Ruger 10/22, GSG-5

Default Re: need help badly!!

Quote Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
    shot my new sig 229 today and everything started off well, very accurate. Then the slide wouldn't lock back after the last round. I was also getting stovepipes every 2 or 3 rounds. Needless to say I'm not happy about it. I don't know if it's ammo related or what. I was shooting rem umc 115 gr from the bulk 250 pack. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Have you tried using a different Mag or have you been using the same mag the entire time you were having the problems? Try polishing the feed lips with fine grit sandpaper. Is the 229 a used weapon or factory new?

(Lawrence County)

Not locking back and stovepipes can be due to a weapon that is not getting full rearward slide travel.

It could be that the slide is a bit too tight and needs broken in, it needs some lube or the user is limpwristing. Could be other things, but this is most common in a new gun.

Lycanneedmoreinfothrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Monroe County)

Put an empty mag in and pull the slide back and see if it locks on its own? I know with my 229 I have had my thumb on the slide lock and my slide would not lock back, I repositioned my grip and my problem went away, I have never had a stove pipe with my 229 yet, but it could be a lot of different things, limp wristing could cause it, I wonder if the ammo could be underpowerd, or if it is a used 229 maybe someone put a stronger buffer spring in? I wish I could help you more but those are my limited expierience thoughts on it. Hope that helps.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Not locking back and stovepipes can be due to a weapon that is not getting full rearward slide travel.

It could be that the slide is a bit too tight and needs broken in, it needs some lube or the user is limpwristing. Could be other things, but this is most common in a new gun.

Lycanneedmoreinfothrope
    I've seen both of those problems happen to our rentals when they got too dry and filled with gunk.

Give it a bath and lube it up real good, I bet it'll be back to running just fine after some lovin'.

(Berks County)

Its either dirty and tight from being a new gun, incorrect spring if a used gun, or could judt be bad mag lips. Im leaning towards mag lips, or a general mag problem, as that would give you slide-lock and stovepipe issues.

(Chester County)

I don't know sigs, so this is purely coming from physics point of view. Possibly as the gun heated up, a tiny amount of metal expansion is causing the problem. Some good suggestions to remedy that have already been given, but another thought is to use a more powerful round. Some guns can be fussy eaters, and a little more push to get the slide all the way back might solve the problem. I what I do know about the sig is that it's a well proven design, but like every make and model, some need a little more TLC than others.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Chester County)

It's friction.

Sigs need to break in, there's a lot of metal to metal contact. They need lube between those points of contact to reduce friction...plain and simple.

lube it up, clean it if it's dirty, it'll run just fine.

95% of the time I see guns jam it's user induced failures.

Spring weights in a new gun? Underpowered rounds? Bag magazines? Really guys!?!

(Chester County)

...nevermind
    Last edited by str8shooter; September 6th, 2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: bad form.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Philadelphia County)

Did you clean and lube it before firing? The Sig manual says to do that before you first fire it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast