Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Huntingdon County)

Default Being Appointed as Constable

I am planning on running as a write-in for constable this fall Nov, 2009 election. In reviewing the Act 44 requirements for constables to work for the courts, I found that the closest location for training ends this year in Oct 09. My municipality has not had run or hold the constable office in a long time. There was no one one the primary ballot.

Now the question: What do I do to petition the President Judge of my county to appoint me as constable? Also are the specific forms that I need to fill out and where would I get them?

I understand that I would still have to run as a write-in at the election (I would not be at the poll to limit conflict). This would allow me to take the training this year and start working for the courts otherwise waiting till February 2010. If I can get appointed now, I would be 9 months ahead.

Thank you for your time in helping me with this question.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Being Appointed as Constable

Check with your County Elections Board. Your local municipality (borough or township) may possibly do the actual appointing, but, since it is an elected position, check with the elections people first. They'll point you in the right direction.

(Mercer County)

The swearing in is January 4, not Februrary.

As far as running as a write-in candidate, it's really simple.
    - Print up a very basic flyer with your name (people need to know who to write in and how to spell it), the position you seek (duh), and a few bullet points about why they should write you in.
    - Stand in front of the polls on election day and greet everyone by saying, "Thanks for coming out to vote. Please write me in for constable" and hand them a flyer.

You'll be in with no problems, even if someone else mounts a write-in campaign.
    - Thank everyone for coming out to vote

(Adams County)

The president judge of the county has to appoint you.

Go to the Elections office at your court house. They will give you a petition and a voter list. Get it filled out, notarized (Elections Director is probably a Notary, if not there is one in the Prothonitaries office).

Then you will get a letter for your appointment hearing.

At least that's how I did it.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Huntingdon County)

Thank you for the information.

With reference to February, I was referring to the Act 44 training schedule at IUP. Using this years schedule of February-October. Thank you though as I wasn't sure how the swearing in occurred.

I contacted the County Elections Office and they are sending the petition packet and voter list.

Then you will get a letter for your appointment hearing.

Can you give me information on what the appointment hearing is like? What will be asked and requested from me?

Thank you for the information you have provided.

I would go to the President Judges office, the petition for Appointment is different than the petition for Ballot / Election. Know what your going to petition for. The rest of the process is background check and political- ie you havent made any enemies in the court house- at least when appointed.
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Butler County)

I have to be the odd person out here.

When I see that a community hasn't had a constable or sheriff for a long time, I have to ask myself if they are really needed. If we have done without for so long and things are not going into the dumper, why add another expense to the taxpayers of the community?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimba View Post
    If we have done without for so long and things are not going into the dumper, why add another expense to the taxpayers of the community?
    Kimba, just a note: constables are not paid any taxpayer salary. They're paid strictly in fees for services rendered, and the fees are paid by the defendant (in criminal cases) or the plaintiff (in civil cases). Without constables, those tasks are split between cops and sheriffs, both of whom draw a taxpayer salary. Constables are actually very cost-efficient.

And speaking as a libertarian, I think that constables are archaic in a good way. I can arrest on view, but ONLY for felonies, breaches of the peace, and crimes endangering persons or property. If I didn't personally witness the crime myself, I would have to swear out a complaint and get a warrant; after that, I can execute the warrant.

But I have no cop superpowers like arrest on "probable cause" or searches on "reasonable suspicion." Which is cool because those powers are unconstitutional--they represent searching or seizing first and getting the "warrant" afterward. And generally speaking, I can't enforce victimless crime laws, which are mostly the laws that are bullshit anyway.

For those reasons, I think we need more constables and fewer cops.

(Huntingdon County)

Adam-12, thank you for noting the case of how constables are paid.

Kimba, as I understand, sheriffs are elected at the county level, and their authority covers criminal, civil, and traffic, PSP cover criminal and traffic, and constables cover criminal (with warrants or on-view) and civil.

Prior to making the decision to petition for appointment/run as write-in for this office, I have researched the law to understand Act 44 is required (80 hours) and an additional 40 hour course for ability to carry firearm while serving the court and a bond at minimum of $250,000. There are required yearly con-ed.

As any elected position, the only way it is filled is if someone is interested. If no one has filled the position, it does not mean that there is no need, just that no one is interested.

Adam-12, I like how you made reference to the position being archaic. Many people used this phrase but with the attitude that the constable is not needed anymore and the position should be removed. I agree that with it being a cost efficient position to serve the courts and taxpayers. This is one aspect that I look at serving the taxpayers of my community, county and state. I cover all levels since the constable is a PA State Constable.

I have read the law to understand what constables are permitted to do. I know that I will have a better understanding as I attend the Act 44 training and continue to learn from peers (current and recent constables).

Thank you for bringing additional information to my attention in regards to the limits of the constables position.

(Butler County)

Thanks for the clarification on how the system works.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast