Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default reasoning for mod actions

I've had a thread deleted and a post deleted and I have no idea why. I dont know who did what or why. I'm not contesting the deletion. I am wondering why. I'd like to know why so that I dont repeat the action. It's a seemingly random act that nobody will learn from. A simple PM would go a long way in my opinion.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: reasoning for mod actions

I moved your giveaway thread to the staff area for discussion. It looked to me like you were trying to advertise for another forum (which also happens to be in your avatar and sig) No decision has been made yet so that thread is in limbo. I believe the other post is under review also. You will be notified if any rules were broken.

(Perry County)

mchaley, I agree with your general principle that it is a generally good practice for mods to notify and explain why a post is moved/deleted/changed, whatever with a PM. However, it is not in the best taste to start a public topic about it on the forum like this - your cause would be much better served by sending a PM to a staff member. Most likely, even if it isn't the staff member that moved your post, he will have had conversations about it with others and will be provide an explanation, or direct your inquiry to the appropriate person(s).

Just my non-staff-member-on-this-site $0.02.
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Westmoreland County)

Folks, please understand that we are approaching 20,000 members and we have a staff of 8 unpaid Mods/Admin that do not have a lot of extra time to make sure every member situation here is handled personally. Sometimes actions are made with no follow ups. If this happens to you, you are always welcome to PM a member of the staff. Public inqusition is not generally recommended!

(Susquehanna County)

I asked about that sig. There is a site with FREE giveaways. I figured that it'd be beneficial to share with the members here. I did have a similar thread a few months ago but it was called into question because of a raffle.

I realize this is not the ideal way to go about this but I wanted to make sure of the situation.

(Philadelphia County)

As nice as it would be, it unfortunately is not humanly possible to send notes to everyone about everything we do. Almost 20,000 members, well over 1,000 posts a day, just keeping the engine chugging takes up most of our volunteer time. Usually if a thread is removed it is because it either violated the rules or had the potential to violate the rules (or the law) and staff wanted to discuss it before moving it back into view.

Also, if there are questions about moderator action, the proper thing to do is privately message a moderator, or failing that, me. Starting a public topic about a (potentially) private matter and dragging the rest of the forum into it before attempting other methods of redress usually just creates lots of drama as a result of strong opinions by people with no context.

Also, none of this is in any way meant to mean that we're upset, just explaining how things work.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking